Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

402 ci S/C Vortec overheating

I Hope someone can help me with this,

I have an LS2 402 stroker with an intercooled Vortec V7YSi 15 psi supercharger, the engine is new and can idle all day with problems but as soon as i run it up on the dyno at light throttle /cruise with no boost it overheats, I have replaced the the radiator with a larger one, fitted bigger fans, have the fans come on early, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat 3 times, fitted wire coils inside the radiator hoses (in case they were sucking in),checked bleed hose from radiator to header tank was not blocked, afr's are not lean, no detonation, blocked off around the outside of the radiator so air has to pass through it and not around it, removed the intercooler and run it on the dyno to make sure the cooler was not a restriction, checked that the head gaskets were on the correct way, removed the heads and had them pressure tested and checked for straight edges and faces.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BOSSONNOS

black/red/black
    69 Camaro 69&85 Vettes

When you run without the super charger it doesn't overheat?

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Haven't tried that yet, will go and do that now, thanks, i'll try anything at the moment.

Cheers

Welcome to the dark side vader97's Avatar

Red Jewel Tintcoat
    2010 Camaro SS

what octane fuel are you running???

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by vader97 View Post
    what octane fuel are you running???
    98 octane

2002ss

When you drive around does it oveheat? If not do you have a large external fan blowing on the front of the car while on the dyno?

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by mike02ss View Post
    When you drive around does it oveheat? If not do you have a large external fan blowing on the front of the car while on the dyno?
    Yep, just taken it for a test drive and it still gets hot, and yep I always run the dyno fan when on the dyno.

looks like it may be generating air somewhere, I keep bleeding the cooling system and it's still getting air in the system.

Any other suggestion are appreciated.

Dave

2002ss

Start with the simple stuff like changing the thermostat and making sure the fans are wired properly and blowing in the right direction. Usually a blown head gasket wouldn't let the car overheat at idle or slow cruising.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Yeah, checked that the fans are working and going in the correct direction and i've got them coming on early, the thermostat has been changed 3 times, has a new water pump etc, everthing has been replaced.

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSONNOS View Post
    Yeah, checked that the fans are working and going in the correct direction and i've got them coming on early, the thermostat has been changed 3 times, has a new water pump etc, everthing has been replaced.

cheers

Dave
    Check your tune and make sure you have the right thermostat type in the tune.That can make it run a little hotter.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Only thing in the tune is for the fan temps, nothing anywhere about thermostat temps or types, thermostat is standard so if there is anything to change fot the stat i shouldn't need to change it.

Dave

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Have you done a compression test? Blown Head Gasket?
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Yep have done a compression test, cylinder leak down test and removed the heads to check the head gaskets and heads, seems to be getting a lot of air in the system, how much air can an engine have in it, have been bleeding air out of it for a week now, even removed the plugs in the rear of the heads to bleed air out and we are getting a constant stream of coolant with no air, when it gets hot a lot of air is coming from the top radiator bleed tube to header tank hose.

2002ss

If all the mechanical stuff checks out did you do a timing check? If the timing is way off it could cause the engine to run hot. Also when you say hot what temperature is it running at? Is the water being boiled out of the system? Water coming out of the overflow bottle when overheating? An overheating problem shouldn't be that hard to track down.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Water temp is getting to 220f, timing was at 30 deg at cruise and i pulled it back to 18 which made no differance, once temp gets to 220 the bleed hose from the top of the radiator to the header tank seems to be pumping air bubbles into the header tank, trust me I've never had a problem tracking down cooling system problems until this one.

2002ss

In all honesty 220 is not really overheating. Is that while sitting or running wide open on the dyno. Either way 220 is not really that bad. My car while idling will get up to 220 but will cool down to 190 while cruising. On a forced induction car temps will usually tend to be higher than a normally aspirated car.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

220 is when i back off, 220 and climbing when cruising, temp gauge gets to the red if i keep going, disconnected the blower belt and ran it - no differance.

Dave

2002ss

In all honesty sounds like a head gasket problem to me. Did you make sure you have the right head gasket and not blocking off any of the water jackets. I would definitely pull the head off again and recheck everything.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Angry

Definately got the right head gaskets and they are not blocking anything, ran it without the blower belt and no change, still overheating, going to remove the intercooler again and leave the blower belt off and fit an air filter straight onto the T/B so the blower and intercooler are out of the equasion alltogether, not getting anymore air out of the radiator bleed hose either It's starting to piss me off now.
    If that doesn't change the engine's coming out.

Dave

are you positive that the water pump is working correctly? No belt slippage or anything of that nature? I know you probably checked it fifty times, but just askin...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information