Black
    2002 SS Camaro

First try with my 02 SS

Well this weekend I thought that I would take my stock 02 SS to the drag strip. The best I could do was a 14.11 at 99.06! The AD was 5300 for this run. I was slipping badly off the line and what got me was the shift into second even though I would grandma it, the slip almost put me sideways. with stock tires that run isn't too bad. I think with some better tires I might pull off a 13.8 atleast. The other LS1's with mods were running 13.8's but they were a4 mine is a M6. What do you think?

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

How hot and how much humidity is it where you live?

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

This time of year in Texas your not going to run what you should....just too damn hot

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Yea i trapped 3mph slower in 15degree hotter weather and 50% more humudity!!

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I never got the humidity. I just borrowed an altitude computer from one of the racers that I knew and that was the number that came up. I know that the tempature was 105. But I would love to try it in October sometime. It would definitely run then

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

105 is pretty HOT!!!!!! My best run on my car (with new mods) was 13.5@105 but in the cold im expecting 13.2-3@107ish so i wouldnt worry bout it!! I am not as knowledgable about ls1s as alot of people on here but i say thats pretty good for the conditions!! track makes a big dif too!! We have a very good prepped track were i live!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i want to see what mine can do with me driving, i'd fuck the launch i'mm sure

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

It took me 3 dif events at the track to get used to the FWD!!! But once you get it its becomes second nature!!!

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Well it seemed the track was pretty well prepared up to the 60 foot then after that it was kind of slippery. I spun off the line bad. I dumped the clutch around 1500 RPM or so, it slipped for awhile then hooked. But when I shifted into second the car would almost go sideways sometimes. A lot of the manual transmission guys were having the same problem. Second gear slipping is what got me

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

"i want to see what mine can do with me driving, i'd fuck the launch i'mm sure"

I wouldn't worry too much about that. You'll get it down after a couple and plus if you spin off the line that just means your car is fast! If you bog it down you can blame that on traction control (if you can't turn it off)!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Dude wait until October to do track runs. Your car isn't gonna run anywhere near what it should in this heat. It's like you trying to do a mile run uphill.

white
    2000 Camaro Z28

i ran 13.3@105 two weeks ago in 96 degree heat and high humidity
    MTI Clear Lid (Free Ram Air Mod Raised Air box) Larger MAF Ends,K&N Filter, SS Exhasut with cut out, rear Lower control arms,smooth bellows,12.894@107.10MPH Dynoed 316 HP (Before RLCA and smooth bellows) 8.3.12 @86.86 1/8th mile 121,000 miles

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Hot weather doesn't help either. M6's are a PITA at the track. You probably need the driver mod.

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by DNRacing View Post
    Well this weekend I thought that I would take my stock 02 SS to the drag strip. The best I could do was a 14.11 at 99.06! The AD was 5300 for this run. I was slipping badly off the line and what got me was the shift into second even though I would grandma it, the slip almost put me sideways. with stock tires that run isn't too bad. I think with some better tires I might pull off a 13.8 atleast. The other LS1's with mods were running 13.8's but they were a4 mine is a M6. What do you think?
    Did you lower your tire pressure, that would have helped. I think your time is ok for a first try. I have a 6 speed also and it takes some practice to get a decent launch.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

With an M6 on street tires it seems to work best to find a decent RPM for track conditions bring the RPMs up to that level, briskly but smoothly release the clutch and feed the throttle in taking about a second or so to do so. Of course you'll have to play with a little more or less clutch and throttle until you find out what works best for you. I'm finding out myself that the only way for the M6 cars is practice, practice practice. Not bad at all considering the DA and being new at it.

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I didn't even try to lower the tire pressure. I wanted too but none of the serious drag racers would let us borrow their tire pressure gauge. That kind of made me mad since they would have been able to see us and all. I would launch at 1750, with the clutch just almost grabbing. Next time I'll try just going slow off the launch then punch it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have problems with people returning stuff at the track. Once I had to ask for my tire pressure gauge back (I also had to wait for over 30 minute for a guy to return my helmet). Just buy tire pressure gauge yourself. They're like $3 at Auto Zone. In my personal opinion it's a sound investment.

Lower your tire pressure to 25psi first, and then lower it in 2psi increments from there. That's just my $.02.
    2001 T/A WS6 M6
    LS6 Cam/Springs, Lid, SLP Pulley, Magnaflow Catback, TBCB, Richmond 4.10 gearing, Panhard Rod, Strut Tower Brace, Low Control Arms, Lou Thesz Short Stick
    Dyno 351rwhp/341rwtq, and tuned by RacePrep via HP Tuners.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by DNRacing View Post
    I didn't even try to lower the tire pressure. I wanted too but none of the serious drag racers would let us borrow their tire pressure gauge. That kind of made me mad since they would have been able to see us and all. I would launch at 1750, with the clutch just almost grabbing. Next time I'll try just going slow off the launch then punch it.
    You're on the right track. There is a lot more to drag racing than staging and flooring the gas pedal. Watch a drag race sometime when the really fast cars/rails are running and you will see somebody "go up in smoke" and lose the race. Why? He/she overpowered his/her car's traction capability. If you want to run the street tires you are running you have to remember that you can't hammer them like they are slicks. Come out easier, lower rpm's or slip the clutch or be more judicious with the gas pedal. Your goal is to get to the other end as quickly as you can and spinning your tires doesn't help, it just wastes time. And don't try at this point "to keep up with the Jones'" especially cars with mods you don't have. Try and get some experience and make runs trying to figure out what works the best for your set-up.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

Thread Information