Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Rant: I Hate Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit

boner and i tried to paint my calipers the other day and they look like total ass all thanks to the shotty, piece of shit Duplicolor paint kit. They give you a shitty little can of the thinnest paint-as soon as you apply it [even after sanding the caliper and cleaning the dirt off] the paint pulls apart and creats nasty, shitty voids, unsightly bumps and runs. FUCKING RETARDED! why they give you a paintbrush kit for this is just dumb. I highly suggest not using this kit.

DON'T EVER BUY THIS

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    boner and i tried to paint my calipers the other day and they look like total ass all thanks to the shotty, piece of shit Duplicolor paint kit. They give you a shitty little can of the thinnest paint-as soon as you apply it [even after sanding the caliper and cleaning the dirt off] the paint pulls apart and creats nasty, shitty voids, unsightly bumps and runs. FUCKING RETARDED! why they give you a paintbrush kit for this is just dumb. I highly suggest not using this kit.

DON'T EVER BUY THIS
    Are you sure the caliper didn't have some unseen oil or other reside on it? Usually paint only makes voids if there's something on the surface to be painted that makes the paint not want to "wet" or adhere to the surface. Did you clean the caliper with alcohol or acetone before painting it? I see from the picture that the kit comes with a can of caliper cleaner - the only suggestion that I have is that the caliper surface may not have been completely clean..
    Last edited by Fastcar; 02-12-2006 at 06:33 AM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i cleaned and i used primer too?!

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

was the primer included in the kit? Some paints arent compatable. I learned the hard way too.. Painted my side markers and cleared them after. The Clear was a high temp clear and the paint was not high temp. The mixture of the two caused the paint to craze and look like crap.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ummm.....that paint kit does suck though. Use VHT paint. You can get it at autozone. Goes on thick. Only thing though, you need to heat the caliper so it sticks well. You don't have to but from what I learned it's the best thing to do. Use a hot hairdryer between coats and pre painting to get the surface warm. Dry under a set of halogens as well. I've done this too many times with different paints and it's annoying when you get voids. You don't need primer with VHT paint. Just thin coats and 1 hour for best reults between coats and 24 hour cure time after about 3 coats

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I used a hand paint on kit, G2 leads I think it was called. Guranteed for life to never chip or come off. It hardened to the caliper.
    Last edited by Hurley711; 05-01-2006 at 07:02 PM.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

i've used that kit before a few times and never had a problem with it... the paint is thin and i put 4 layers on each caliper... no spots, no runs, not even a bristle in the paint... go figure =)

1999 Chevy Camaro

I also used that kit and had no problems with it. I also put about four coats and a clear. And mine came out sweet as pie!! Not sure what went wrong . Try taking it back and getting a different one. Did you shake the can, lol?

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 02-12-2006 at 08:29 PM.

1999 Chevy Camaro

i cleaned and i used primer too?!
    Hmm, I didn't prime mine. What about you, EVL LS1? Maybe that was the problem.

Rob

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

bah...yes, i shook and stirred the can, double oh seven. I think it was my working environment. I couldn't take the kit back b/c it was open and used. But i bought a spray can of red engine paint. it reccomended a 70° working environment-and the garage i was in was easily 55-65 ish.

I ended up buffing off all the duplicolor and primer with a drill, then cleaned it with paint thinner and brake cleaner. The red engine spraypaint went on way thicker [i didn't prime it this time] but still i got a few voids and runs. Fuck my ass...oh well. No one will notice when i flyby at 85. I hate when i expect the best and get shit. I have extrememly high standards and found myself "settling" in this situation b/c of a time constrant.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

bah...yes, i shook and stirred the can, double oh seven. I think it was my working environment. I couldn't take the kit back b/c it was open and used. But i bought a spray can of red engine paint. it reccomended a 70° working environment-and the garage i was in was easily 55-65 ish.

I ended up buffing off all the duplicolor and primer with a drill, then cleaned it with paint thinner and brake cleaner. The red engine spraypaint went on way thicker [i didn't prime it this time] but still i got a few voids and runs. Fuck my ass...oh well. No one will notice when i flyby at 85. I hate when i expect the best and get shit. I have extrememly high standards and found myself "settling" in this situation b/c of a time constrant.
    hey diph, let this be a lessons, never work on the cars or start unless you have more then double or triple time to spare i try not to work on my car unless i have the night off. i want to make sure i have all the time i need. thanks jeremy

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11
    hey diph, let this be a lessons, never work on the cars or start unless you have more then double or triple time to spare i try not to work on my car unless i have the night off. i want to make sure i have all the time i need. thanks jeremy
    guess it wasn't the kit afterall lol... with the duplicolor red kit the first layer dried and looked pink... but 2nd layer came out nice bright red.... 3rd, 4th, 5th... just got better and better with each layer. I had my kit laying in my toolbox for over a month until i had enough time to do it right.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i wanna garage...i hate this apartment bullshit.

1999 Chevy Camaro

i wanna garage...i hate this apartment bullshit.
    Ha Ha!! I feel you. When I did mine, I was expecting this one chick that works in the office to come by and bitch at me. But if they wont bug me when taking my roof off, I guess I can get away with murder , lol!

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 02-13-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Thread Information