Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

To lower or not to lower...

I have a 98 Z28. Its silver and I just got 17 inch chrome ZO6 rims for it. 275/40/17 tires.

My dilemma...

I don't know whether to lower it or not. Reasons to do it would be look and more of a road hugging feel I suppose. Even tho the drop, at 1.25 inches on the Bilstein shocks/springs combo package I'm considering, would not be that drastic of a difference looks-wise IMO. The lower profile tires and enhanced rim size would alone improve the look.

Reasons not to do it: I'm on a tight budget, this adds $200 to the cost of the package. Also I have ground effects that have fresh paint on them. If I scraped because of the car being lower - I'd be fairly upset. I'm putting on long tube headers as well, another bottoming concern with the lower car.

So, there ya go - opinions wanted. I want to know what I should do - is the 1.25 drop enough of an enhancement look wise to justify the expense and inconveniences the change offers? I'm back and forth on this so any input would be most welcome.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

well with the right long tube setup, dynatech(what i run) or Kooks u will not have any problems with a drop. I would not want to scratch up new ground effectl like u said though, but the look is definitely noticablly enhanced w/ a drop. but then again it doesnt net u any power. so it a tough choice and i c ur delima

I never considered lowering a car enhancing the look. I feel they look fine as is. I personally avoid that stuff. These cars are low enough as it is, and hard to enter/exit some driveways and parking lots without issues. I don't want to make that problem even worse. The last thing I want is a car that I have to be carefull where I drive it. Plus the fact, these Fbodies sit so low as it is,,,,it's very close to get onto my car lift. As a matter of fact, I generally have to jack the front up slightly with a floor jack just to swing the lift arms under the front. If I lowered the car it would be a royal pain in the butt to use the lift.
    If it were me, I prefer to spend my money on things that give me HP. Lowering a new car is not very cheap, and I can think of alot of other things to spend that money on and make the car go faster.
    Keep in mind this is the opinion of an old guy that loves the old gasser days with straight front axles,,,,,I like ground clearance Larry.

blue
    2002 WS6

I thought about it too. I think it is all in what you want. Lowering the car is going to make it look better and handle better in and out of the curves. But personally i am more of a light to light kind of guy. I love hooking up on the launch. Something like that Eibach Prokit is going to have a really stiff spring rate (ride harder) and cause the car not to launch as well. I am going to just go with adjustable shocks in the rear (softer for the strip and stiffer for dd) I get word that Bilstein makes a good set. And since these cars are getting old and it does help, an energy suspension kit would help out alot with tightening up the ride in the corners. again this is just another opinion and you know what everyone says about those.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

since you are in a tight budget, and don't want to lower much, i'd really consider getting Koni SA (front) and Bilstein HD (rear) shocks.
    you can lower the car ~3/4" with these shocks.
    The Koni SA has 2 perch locations... use the lower one and that does the trick.
    for the rear, do the hose-mod (on top of the spring, there is a rubber isolator... replace that with a hose on the first coil)
    It costs you less than shocks + springs, lowers a bit, and you have great shocks, improving both handling + confort dramatically.

btw, welcome to the board
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

blue
    2002 WS6

another one for the suspension guy.
    I think every time you talk about wheels or suspension i learn something new about the car.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

What do you guys think about KYB AGX adjustable shocks and struts? I agree with the above posters and won't be using lowering springs. Are the Bilsteins adjustable to stiffen or soften the ride like these are?

Oh, and thanx for the welcome btw!
    Last edited by DLove23; 04-25-2007 at 06:50 AM.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by DLove23 View Post
    What do you guys think about KYB AGX adjustable shocks and struts? I agree with the above posters and won't be using lowering springs. Are the Bilsteins adjustable to stiffen or soften the ride like these are?

Oh, and thanx for the welcome btw!
    no... the Bilstein's aren't.
    note that stiffness is dictated by spring rate... the shock purpose is to dampen that given stiffness.
    Common misconception is to put shock stiff thinking it'll help/improve handling, when you are actually sometimes impeding the spring from doing its work by over-damping the system.
    adjustability in shocks is great for fine tuning, but once set, not much needs to be changed...
    The main real benefit of adj shocks is that when you change springs, you don't have to change/revalve shocks.

Apart from that... I would not go w/ KYB... damping curve no good for our cars for handling purposes... and you won't be able to lower the car without getting springs... if you don't want to lower... get Bilstein HD on all 4 corners for less and better preformance.

Teal
    95 Camaro

Get rid of the ground effects, and slammed it with the right longtubes, Hooker, Kooks or Dynatech.

Thread Information