Black
    BMW E39 540I 6 spd 4.4 V8

Not LS-1 related but took my V8 to the track

So after I sold my FD RX-7 I bought a E39 BMW 540I. Reason I bought it was because I needed the space of a 4 door, had to be rear wheel drive and I wasn't ready to go from a 5-spd to a auto tranny, so it had to be manual. Thats when I found my 540I 6 speed. 282hp/315 lb/ft 4.4 V8 and a nice interior. I didn't buy it to be a fast car and when I test drove it it certainly didn't feel fast. Especially coming from my RX-7.
    Anyways, I raced my buddies rather quick stock 04 base 350Z(he's run 8.7s in the 1/8th so its decently quick for stock) from a 40-ish roll and I thought I was going to get decimated. Turns out it was nearly door to door to about 130+ which shocked the hell out of me. Especially since the 540 doesn't "feel" fast.
    Friends talked me into taking the car to the track so on 3/4/06 some buddies and I headed out to Mooresville, NC, the local 1/8th mile. I got to see Josh(admin) and Keliente make a few passes in their F bods and I decided to make a few passes. I was going to be happy if I posted just a 9.5 at anything better than 75mph since this seems to be about the quick end of the spectrum for the 540s. Most tend to run between a 14.5 and a 15.0 in the quarter, depending on transmission and other things.
    First pass was a 9.49@78, another 9.4@78, then a blistering fast 14.3@39(spun bad out of the hole, pushed the clutch in, waved at everyone in the stands and coasted the rest of the way, LOL) before I finally posted a 9.002@80mph.

And heres the video. In the video the left lane board was fubar'd but you can hear the announcer mention the time at the end of the video.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....F-E2EE2AFFC6A2
    The 540 totally surpassed my expectations, to say the least. Its not a fast car by any means, but it sure shocked the hell out of me. I didn't think this 3800+lb pig would post a time like that

MrMiracle
    Ah those Europeans and their wacky technology.

Instead of racing to see who can go fastest, challenge somebody to a braking race. Get to 80 or so and see who can stop in the shortest distance. Unless they have a Volvo, you'll beat em every time.

Thread Information