Artic White
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS

True Dual Exhuast for 02 SS HELPPP!!

Hey all whats up.

I have an 02 SS Camaro, bone stock, ive had the car for about 2 years, just got out of college and got a job so I can afford to start modding on it a little bit. Im big on exhaust and a good sounding car. The SLP factory unit sounds good but it just isnt enough. I know about the whole Y pipe set up that the Camaro has (thats one thing that Ford did right going w/h and x pipes). Are there any companies out there that make a true X w/o cats that will fit an 02SS? I know it will probably have to be a custom application, I have heard two company names, Spintech and Dr. Gas both ive heard have good reps. After the custom X pipe do any of the companies like magnaflow, flowmaster, bassani, borla, offer a cat back that would work with that?

Also on my list of things to do before the summer ends are, SLP CAI set up, diablosport tuner and tune, Pro 5.0 shifter, and some 315/35 Nitto DR's. I am hoping this would put me into the 12's, the best I have ran on G-tech is a 13.45, havent had the car to the strip yet.

Also, out of the SS owners with the Hurst short throw that comes w/the car, does anyone else have problems on the 2-3 shift, when I really slam it I usually miss third, speedshifting I can hit it no prob. I think shifter would go a long way. As always any input is greatly appreciated.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

tsp makes a true dual kit..but it gets dumped at the axel. makes it very loud. bassani makes a true dual kit that bolts up to the stock cats...very nice kit, but it VERY expensive. around 1k just for the catback. have you thought about getting some headers first? they'll wake up the slp dual dual system nicely.

DO NTO GET A DIABLE TUNER...the 300-400 you'd spend on that..you could actually get a real dyno tune and know exactly what the car is doing. I'd also skop the pro 5.o shifter and jsut get a lou short stick or ws6 store short stick. I ahve the hurst (althought i've never had any trouble banging the gears) I switched the stick part to th ws6 store short stick and it made a insane improvemnt. you don't want to put 315s on the stock wheels.

your better off getting a budget that'll you spend on the car adn then go from there...with LOTS of research..so you don't waste your money on things like a hand held tuner..or slp maf...or a cold air package that jsut makes your air filter extremely dirty.

Artic White
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Brandon, thinks for the info.

I also have an older Cobra that I did have a o/r x pipe and flowmaster dumps, it was really loud but i loved it, eventually i put the tips back on though cause i was setting off car alarms all over the place. In that same car I also have a steeda tri-ax short throw which is a great shifter, never miss a gear no matter how hard you pound it.

I would just like to find a company that I can get a custom exhaust from, I am going to ditch the cats completely anyways so probably a mid pipe and cat back, i have heard a custom x pipe through a magnaflow cat back on an 01 and fell in love. Also with the headers I have given that alot of thought actually, any recommendations? The SLP tuned length are like 900 bucks and then labor to put them on is pretty ridic also. I do almost all work myself but headers and gears. Headers are a bitch and a headache and id rather pay somone to do it.

Also on the 315's why not on the stock rim?? I have heard that they fit fine on a 9 inch.

Lastly on the Diablosport tuner, I think you might have mis understood, for about $450 I can buy the tuner at a dyno shop close to hear and have it completely dyno tuned on a wideband. I went w/my friend a few months ago and it woke his 03 Mustang GT up from 215 rwhp to 255 rwhp. They said they usually see around 20-40 rwhp on SS depending on mods etc. So it sounds like a winner to me. I am also big on CAI kits, I have had one on every car ive owned and they have all been worth the money.

Do you or anyone else have any other recos on bang for the buck mods, personally on my cobra the biggest bang for the buck was easily the nittos so far.

Thanks again all

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Don't buy the tuner, get it dyno tune or better yet get a live Tuner like HPtuner/EFIlive/LS1edit. I have bassani X pipe TDs. I got stainless set up and it cost $999.xx. If you don't really care the pipe quality they offer aluminized TD $200 cheaper.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I've got a pro 5.0 as well, never missed a gear. I'm also running Qtp Lts to a Dr. Gas X, to Dynomax 14x9s, although I'd recommend different mufflers, I've heard good things about the Dynotech Warlocks.

As far as the 315s on stock 9" wheels: They will fit, but the wear will be uneven, and other than looks, you won't gain anything. Basically with a 9" wheel you get a hair over 9" of pressure on the tires, essentially 9" of traction, with about 3" of tire coasting on the pavement next to the wheels. You can put 275s on a 9" and benefit, but any larger and you should get wider wheels, either 10.5 or 11.

And then the tune; Sounds to me like the shop with the dyno has people buy the tuner because they don't have the software, right? In that case, have it done somewhere else. If they don't have LS1 software, they haven't tuned enough of them to really know how these things respond. Just find the closest place to you that uses a PC app. suited for LSx engines, it'd be worth a bit of a drive.

You should also think about gears, they'll do wonders for you, especially after the car breaths better, I'd suggest 3.73 or 4.10, depends on what roads you're driving, but with 4.10s in an M6, you'd be fine for almost anything, and not get hit too hard for gas.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Black
    99 SS

here is a company that custom makes true dual systems in Cincinnati.

www.ts-performance.com ask for tyler or tracey.

Thread Information