RGAllen26

Distributorless Kit for LT1

I was on a site the other day that offered a distributorless kit to replace the optispark on LT1s for about $650.00. Is anyone familiar with this and is it reliable/or worth it?

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

it's basically the Northstar, no, it IS the Northstar coilpack, modified to fit the F-Bod, but it still reads off of the Optispark wheel, so if you were having any sort if ignition issues (timing cover oil leak i.e.) then the Opti would still need to be replaced. What it does do is eliminate the cap and rotor from the system (still need the cap for sealing purposes), so you won't hafta fight with that part of changing wires or fussing with that cap and rotor when doing regular maintenance. I can do an Opti in my sleep, so it's no big deal to me, but if you spend the $$$ to get it replaced (which can run 700 bux P&L), then it may be worth it for you to go with the 'distributorless' iggy
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

RGAllen26
    Thanks for the reply Fedge......I have an MSD cap and rotor I just purchased from Summit. The T/A runs great, but I have a front seal leak, so I figured I'll go ahead and replace the OE cap and rotor while I'm at it. 80,000 miles on the car, so it'll be due soon anyway. Is the MSD a good choice?

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

I don't see why it wouldn't be...I never got the chance to try one...I always ended up with a stock one. When you do the front seal, make sure that the optical wheel inside the distributor housing spins true and it is not coated with oil, if any of those conditions exist, it will not function properly and that's an awful lot of work to go through to hafta do it again a day later...

RGAllen26
    Thanks for the advice.....I'll definitely remember that.........B

Thread Information