Thread: Pro's Only!!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Another Diff question

02 SS 6spd

For a daily driven car that isn't taken to the track. Would a 4.10 gear in the stock 10 bolt diff be okay? Of course I would add the Auburn posi with stronger girdle and billet yoke. I feel that I would be okay because I would not be using sticky tires or launching at 4K rpm. I heard all the horror stories of 12 bolts taking 3 months to get built and whining all over the place and I just don't think it’s for me. I do burnouts form time to time plus I have nitrous but never use it from a stop.

So what do you guys think? I know buying a 12 bolt means its bullet proof and you’re getting peace of mind as well.
    Last edited by Soltakr; 07-28-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

anyone at all?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sorta a low end gear ratio. Doubt you would like running 3000 RPM at 65mph for very long....
    Are you having issues now that your trying to fix?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I went 4.11's.
    But I have a 9"
    80 MPH in 6th gear is supposed to be 2250 RPM's.

The 12 bolt isn't bulletproof. The 9" is closer to it.
    The hardest thing on the 10 bolt is the torque shock. It will probably fail eventually.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I did some reseach and Mr. Lous is right. 65mph with 4.10 in 6th, your taching about 2000 rpm.

With that ford 9' did you have any trouble with aligment? What about the brakes?

Thumbs up

Hey Guys, Kinda New Here....
    Not Much Of A Pro, But I Had 4.10's Installed In My 96 Z28, Tached 2150 At 65mph, Revved Out At 5700 Rpms At 160 Mph In 6th - Drove As A Daily Driver For 3 Years, Some Abuse, Some Track Time, No Problems, Keep In Mind Mostly Stock, Some Bolt Ons 340hp ??- G-tech'ed 13.3 After Gear Install With Like A 2.01 60foot - 12 Bolt Definately The Way To Go If Cash Is Available....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Any whining noise from either mmoreside or Mr. Lous ?

No Whining, Quiet As A Mouse - Pulls F***ing Hard - Should Have Been A Factory Option In My Opinion - Best Modification By Far!! -

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

what manufacture did you go with and did you add any other supplement parts alone with it..i.e. axle,yolk,gridle?

If Memory Serves Me Correct They Were A Richmond Gear, Replaced No Other Hard Components, Only Bearings And Seals - Carrier Unit And Yoke Were All Good - Only Replaced Them Because Of Side Bearings Were Starting To Whine A Bit, So Figured Best Time To Replace Gears Was When I Was Already In There - To Be Honest Was Completely Expecting To Have A Failure But Sold Car After 3 Years Of Trouble Free Driving

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I got my Moser 9" from Exotic Performance.

There is gear whine...but it isn't bad. Would probably suck on a daily driver though. Mine only comes out on the weekends. Just under light accel.
    Brakes....you use your stock backing plates to fit your calipers on. When the bearings get pressed onto the axles you have the backing plates on the axle first.
    So far I haven't noticed a huge drop in mileage. Lots of shifting though.
    I love the gears. Can't wait to actually know how fast I am going.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

flat black
    no need to go all out though..especially for a daily...its all in the setup...if you find someone who is good at setting up diffs...it wont whine..a 4WD shop is good...they are always rebuilding peoples diffs...they have to be good at it. im running 3.73 no girdle no upgraded yokes...i pull hole shots all the time...but im not crazy enough to do it with slicks...i also retain my Torsen...people will say what they want every component has its weakness even a 9"...dont go spend the money just cause you can...make a plan...and go for it...the only way id go upgrading my rear end like that would be if i knew i was gonna seriously abuse it...but you said it was a daily...so is mine...i cant afford to be blowing axles out the side of my car...build it once but do it right for your application...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I went with a TrueTrac diff. Detroit Lockers limited slip.
    Mine isn't a daily...and will see slicks.

I was told the gears may be a bit louder...by the manufacturer of the gear, not the company putting the diff together.
    It isn't a big deal to me. It might be to someone else who drives their car everyday.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Great data guys, thanks for all the help.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

I HAD 410's untill they broke.....you should be fine if all stock and stock tires...with a list of boltons i wouldnt go burning em up....i was doing some tire spinning in the rain just cuz i assumed it would be less harm....had no wheel hop and barely hit the throttle and capaw...i drove home on half a pinon shaft.......awesome.clunker cjing,clunker ching clunger ching a boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Soltakr View Post
    I did some reseach and Mr. Lous is right. 65mph with 4.10 in 6th, your taching about 2000 rpm.

With that ford 9' did you have any trouble with aligment? What about the brakes?

My car with 4:10's only tached about 1700-1800 @ 65 mph

Thread Information