Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: racing tips

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

racing tips

i've only had my TA for a year my first muscle car so i dont really know much about racing. so the other day i was coming home from my sisters house and i was on the freeway and i noticed a G35 riding my ass then pulls next to me. his getting on it trying to race me, so im cruise at about 75 in fifth gear at about 2700 rpm. i remember a friend of mine telling me to drop it in to 4th and rev it up a little and then drop the clutch and go. but i dont know what im doing wrong didnt really seem to work out as i planned, any tips? im running an all stock 2001 TA m6 by the way execpt for the slp lm2 and k&n fipkit

NBM
    98 trans am

just practice driving, like flooring it in 1st gear... shifting to 2nd... flooring it.. shifting to 3rd... etc... and youll figure out when you need to drop it down if your gonna do it from a roll

Onyx Black
    2001 WS6

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

...gotta love them Automatics and their... Drive and GO... none of that confusing shifting... J/K...

NBM
    98 trans am

i hate having an auto

Onyx Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    i hate having an auto
    You'll never miss a gear!!!

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBird01 View Post
    You'll never miss a gear!!!
    haha true... still not a manual

Onyx Black
    2001 WS6

I'm with you. I have an M6 myself. I used to own a 94 formy A4 and I remember racing some guy and beating him. His excuse was, "you only beat me because I missed a shift!!!" My response was, "I didn't miss a shift"

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

practice makes perfect

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Auto or Stick both has its advantages

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

i guess getting a new shifter would help to considering the fact that stock hurst shifters suck. i traded my friend my ol stock shifter for his stock hurst shifter and its really shitty i dont why i did it, i guess i thought it was a better shifter. i also noticed that my gears are kinda rough to get into. what do you think that might be?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    i've only had my TA for a year my first muscle car so i dont really know much about racing. so the other day i was coming home from my sisters house and i was on the freeway and i noticed a G35 riding my ass then pulls next to me. his getting on it trying to race me, so im cruise at about 75 in fifth gear at about 2700 rpm. i remember a friend of mine telling me to drop it in to 4th and rev it up a little and then drop the clutch and go. but i dont know what im doing wrong didnt really seem to work out as i planned, any tips? im running an all stock 2001 TA m6 by the way execpt for the slp lm2 and k&n fipkit
    Why are you cruising in 5th you should be in 6th JMO
    When you drop down you need to blip the throttle, this gives the drivetrain less shock on the down shift. And like said above practice makes perfect.

Here is my Street Racing Hints page copied from my Forum

Almost every Auto oriented message board has a kill section, and a disclaimer that they do not condone Street Racing. these sections have hundreds and some times thousands of post. We all know the risks yet it still is a regular occurance. I have come up with a few hints to help fellow street racers learn the ropes.

1) Take it to the Track
    For many obvious reasons the dragstrip is the best place to run. Many clubs have track meets or rentals where people can match up for grudge races. Get involved with this you may find it more fullfilling, and a few bucks at the track is better than a few hundred in court.

2) Keep your Ego in Check
    Avoid racing much slower cars, even though some people need to be put in their place. Pat attention to your surroundings. Don't take unnecessary risk for the sake of ego.

3) Know your Opponent
    When possible while on the road take notice of possible opponents. Keen eyes and ears can help aleviate possible embarrasment.

4) Don't be a Jerk
    always make an attempt to converse before or after a race or at least give the tumbs up Win or Lose. Freindships can be made this way because most people can appreciate a fast car.

5) When is a Race Over ?
    When the first guy lets off or the outcome is clear. The winner lets off when he knows his opponent won't make up the difference. The loser lets off when he knows he can't make up the difference. The ricer flyby does not mean your the winner.

6) Laws of Attrition
    The more you race on the street the better your chances are of getting caught. Some people are lucky but most of us will eventually get caught. Remote locations can help but the danger is still there.

Most of this is pretty much common sense it is really for some of these younger people. Most young people are impulsive, hopefully this will help you boys and girls to Think Before You Act
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Awaiting Activation
    ^^^^^ great list!!

As far as your trans shifting rough - it could be low on clutch fluid (brake fluid), or trans fluid, or your slave could be shitting out on you.

For your race -at 75mph i would've put it in 3rd - then you would've ate that G35 up. Usually when i down shift to race i do it at these speeds:
    1st- I never downshift to 1st
    2nd- up to 50mph
    3rd- 50- 85ish
    4th - 85++

I'm not saying that these are the top speeds for gears, but rather what gears are good for what speeds. Also, once you know your car better, you will find the "sweet spot" of your engines powerband in all gears.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Today I can safely Say I HATE having an AUTO... cause I got beat once more... in the death zone of the TOO LONG 3rd gear...

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    You cruise at 2700 rpm? that must suck the gas
    Last edited by 96Firebirdformula; 10-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    Today I can safely Say I HATE having an AUTO... cause I got beat once more... in the death zone of the TOO LONG 3rd gear...
    what are you racing?

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    ^^^^^ great list!!

As far as your trans shifting rough - it could be low on clutch fluid (brake fluid), or trans fluid, or your slave could be shitting out on you.

For your race -at 75mph i would've put it in 3rd - then you would've ate that G35 up. Usually when i down shift to race i do it at these speeds:
    1st- I never downshift to 1st
    2nd- up to 50mph
    3rd- 50- 85ish
    4th - 85++

I'm not saying that these are the top speeds for gears, but rather what gears are good for what speeds. Also, once you know your car better, you will find the "sweet spot" of your engines powerband in all gears.
    Why dont you downshift to first? From ~30mph I always downshift to first. Leaves a nice little patch of rubber.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarse81 View Post
    Why dont you downshift to first? From ~30mph I always downshift to first. Leaves a nice little patch of rubber.
    i don't because when you downshift to 1st it is a very hard jerking - which has to put a lot more stress on the whole drivetrain.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    i don't because when you downshift to 1st it is a very hard jerking - which has to put a lot more stress on the whole drivetrain.
    That hard jerking is what makes the girl in the passenger seat get all horny though...no?? Actually I think I need to start a thread on this.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    what are you racing?
    check out the kill stories... Mach1 vs Z28 - The Race

Thread Information