Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1999 Trans Am

Fuel Pump - Granatelli or Racetronix?

So, which one is better? I need to replace the fuel pump on my '99 T/A and wanted some advice. It looks like a lot of people have installed the Racetronix, has anybody used the Granatelli? Anybody have any other replacement pumps that I should consider?

99 Z28

The Granatelli fuel pump is identical to the walbro fuel pump. thats all i know... I havent done my fuel pump yet. knock on wood

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I did the racetronix kit last winter and I have no idea how anyone would build one better if there is such a thing. The instructions were awesome and the kit was comlete with no bullshit parts to round up. They even included a paper clip to take the connections out of your old plug. I just can't imagine anyone putting a kit together that would be better than the racetronix kit.

The VCBoiz

Pewter SS

I hear with the Granatelli fuel pump have to keep the fuel tank 1/4 full or more and no less or else the pump will run dry. Won't happen with Ractronix.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I have the Granatelli, no problems. But I never run my fuel level that low, so I could not comment on the low fuel issue.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Either is fine and will meet your needs.

black
    1999 Trans Am

I've read a couple of comments that you have to make a slight modification to get the Granatelli to fit. What did you have to do?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well we have a venturi system...basically the venturi sucks gas from the bottom of the tank and fills up the fuel bucket....RaceTronix utilizes the same setup....Walbro aka Granatelli doesnt...so folks drill holes in the fuel bucket ( bottom and sides) here is mine...

This prevents the higher flow pump sucking your bucket dry quicker than the gas in the bucket can be replaced. And the drill mod is a good thing as it allows all the gas you'll ever need into the bucket. Setback is if you let your gas tank get below a 1/4 or so you run the risk of the gas level in the bucket being below your fuel pump pick up inlet...and you'll burn your fuel pump up. I've run mine down to around a 1/8 of a tank and had no issues....but I wouldn't go any less than that.....but at the end of the day...it really is no big issue as you just fill up when it gets to like a 1/4 tank....

black
    1999 Trans Am

So, is $100 worth not having to worry about when you fill it up?

Another question: the Racetronix kits all come with the additional wiring lead for the pump, is this a mandatory install or can it be installed later?

I know, I know - why would you not want to go ahead and guarantee that you have plenty of voltage to the pump? Call me crazy, but I have my reasons.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pedrojcmo View Post
    So, is $100 worth not having to worry about when you fill it up?

Another question: the Racetronix kits all come with the additional wiring lead for the pump, is this a mandatory install or can it be installed later?

I know, I know - why would you not want to go ahead and guarantee that you have plenty of voltage to the pump? Call me crazy, but I have my reasons.
    LOL...It's not the $100 bucks..as I said...many higher flow pumps suck the bucket dry before the venturi system can replenish the fuel in the bucket. So most go with the Walbro/Bucket mod.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

This is one area where I'm glad to have a 98. No bucket.

red
    1998 trans am

free advice

My free advice about fuel pumps:

Don't let your wife run out of gas and burn out the fuel pump while you're out of the country. The dealer wouldn't budge on labor so it's gonna cost me $1300 for fuel pump and sender. The pump is dead, the sender has been wonky for 5 years so might as well replace it while the tank is down.

Not quite willing to let my wife cut a hole in the floor just to save $1000...

black
    1999 Trans Am

Hey Sarge, any special method to the bucket mod? From your various pics it looks like you have drilled 4 - 3/8" or so size holes around the sides of the bucket.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Reviving an old thread here. Same question as originally asked by the OP. I have read some no-so-great things about Racetronix and it concerns me that they don't list a phone number on their site. I see that they claim to respond via email to requests for technical assistance. Well, I emailed them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a damn thing back. All I was trying to do was verify the correct part number for the fuel sock so I could order a pump and a new sock for the bucket. If they aren't interested in contacting me to take my $$, they sure as hell are not going to want to help me if I have a problem once they have my money. I know nothing about the Granatelli pump, but see in this thread that it does not utilize a venturi system to feed the bucket. Keeping the tank at least half full isn't really an issue, but it does defeat the purpose of the bucket when you drill holes in the bottom of it. Haven't looked at any other pumps yet, so not sure what else might be out there. Thoughts?

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Reviving an old thread here. Same question as originally asked by the OP. I have read some no-so-great things about Racetronix and it concerns me that they don't list a phone number on their site. I see that they claim to respond via email to requests for technical assistance. Well, I emailed them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a damn thing back. All I was trying to do was verify the correct part number for the fuel sock so I could order a pump and a new sock for the bucket. If they aren't interested in contacting me to take my $$, they sure as hell are not going to want to help me if I have a problem once they have my money. I know nothing about the Granatelli pump, but see in this thread that it does not utilize a venturi system to feed the bucket. Keeping the tank at least half full isn't really an issue, but it does defeat the purpose of the bucket when you drill holes in the bottom of it. Haven't looked at any other pumps yet, so not sure what else might be out there. Thoughts?
    Since it has been so long I would give them the benefit of the doubt and try e-mailing sales@racetronix.com to see if they have any insight or can direct you to the proper department. I have heard nothing but good things about the racetronix kit and I had planned on putting it in the car next summer with some new injectors. I never go that long without bumping back to the vendor to ask what's up unless it is a known back order issue.

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Blog Entries

Mystic Teal
    1999 Formula WS6

So far I can say the the racetronix kit is great for me, however, "plug and play" and pump fitment was a major issue. If you have never replaced your fuel pump module then everything should go smooth. The sales dept at Racetronix leaves details out of their advertisement that are VERY CRUCIAL. I had a GM replacement fuel pump module and I had to make major modifications to it just to make the kit work. I also had to go backwards in time with the 4 pin wiring connector to the module. I have larger injectors also and everything is working flawlessly...no issues with running out of gas due to the venturi system not keeping up with an estimated 450 horsepower.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Good to hear. As far as I know, our Trans Am has the factory installed pump and bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My thoughts,
    I just went through this last fall. You certainly want to keep the bucket working so the pump is continually covered in fuel so you need the venturi style pump. Racetronix was the only pump that offered the venturi nipple for the extra hose from my research recently (unless you go OEM).

The bucket mod isn't a complete cure. Even with that, the bucket will only stay as full as the tank, so low fuel levels can still leave the pump half exposed. Not ideal. With the venturi working that bucket will always be completely full of fuel right up until the last drop is sucked out of the tank.

Anyway, I found out same as you Jeff, it's hard to get ahold of racetronix. They are in Canada. Your best bet, and what I did, was to just buy the pump setup from a third party that will warranty any issues. I just bought mine through Texas Speed. If I had any issues on install, or anything was defective, I'd just send it back to Texas Speed and get another one

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, FBJ. That sounds like good advice.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thread Information