Tranny on its way out? Advice please

I've noticed over the past few months 3rd and reverse have become harder and harder to obtain smoothly... Lately its been getting worse, when I'm driving and not paying attention to well, my normal soft shifting fails to get the car into 3rd, requiring a pretty decent shove to get it in gear afterwords, or back into neutral, and reapply clutch.

The other thing I have noticed which is really troubling me, is that every so often, perhaps once a month, there is a horrible lurching noise on a cold start going into 1st gear... its so loud that even people outside the car can cleary hear it over my wide open Borla exhuast, I mean its a loud frickin noise!! its like a lurching grinding of really rusty metal i beams folding in half, like the sound they use in movies when building roofs start to collapse. Thats the best I can describe it... i'm fairly sure it has to do with the clutch, but exactly whats causing it, I havent the faintest. I havent changed the tranny fluid in awhile, which I'm going to do soon now just for the hell of it, but any guesses in the meantime are welcome

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Sounds like you might have some bad synchros in there. Try double clutching to see if it shifts smoother. Clutch problems usually show up in every shift, not just certain gears.

Double clutching meaning Engage clutch, put in gear, disengage, reengage and disengage again?

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Sorry GK, been away for a bit. Double clutching is engaging the clutch to pull the the shifter out of gear into neutral then let off. Engage clutch again and put into next gear, release again. See if this helps and let me know.

ah... I'll try it out tomorrow... I have to do that every once in awhile to get it into first when I come to a stop in neutral... and sometimes to do the same to get into reverse

Thread Information