Thread: Water pump

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Water pump

My water pump is leaking on my 94 LT1. Anyways, does anyone know of a write-up to change it. I know its close to the opti and I don't want to damage anything. And I need to do it right because I'm going to sell it once I get everything fixed on the damn car.

Edit: The clutch on the A/C compressor also went out. It looks like a bitch to get to, so if anyone has a write-up or anything to help me change that out too would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by BlackLT1Z28; 01-12-2008 at 09:59 PM.

haynes book. just put some plastic over the opti. like a trash bag. Changing the water pump is pretty str8 forward. As far as the compressor, I have not read up on that. But it doesnt look too fun. Camaros need a lot of work. They will run as long as you keep repairing.

White with Black Stripe
    1995 Trans Am

I just changed mine out 2 days ago. Me and a friend of mine (he's a mechanic) did it in a friend's garage. It seemed simple at first, we thought it'd be done in a few hours, but nooo in addition to the 6 bolts on the water pump you're gonna have to remove the fans and the ignition coil and secondary air pump (because the bracket for those blocks the pump). Theres another 10 bolts or so its really a pain. Try to have someone help you out it makes it much easier if someone is on the top and another is below the car because some bolts are really tricky to get to, I had to use a universal joint for one of them. All in all it took 2 days and at least 10 hrs of work to do it. I've never done something so invasive on my car so i'm sure we took more time than someone who's experienced.

Also, when we put it back together we got a bit confused as to where some wires and sensors go, so its a good idea to take pictures or refer to www.shbox.com theres some good pics there.

As for a walkthrough, www.autozone.com has one but it isnt that detailed. Has nice pictures though. I looked for one before i did mine and couldn't find it either.

Oh yeah and your back is probably gonna hurt a lot. Damn our cars have long noses. lol

Good luck and try to keep your opti dry especially since your 94 is non-vented

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, my friend said I could use his garage since its bigger than mine. But that's good to know. I was going to call my mechanic to get some prices on the labor for the water pump and A/C compressor. The A/C unit looks like a bitch to get to. I don't know if I really feel like messing with it. All I know is that the car is gone as soon as this stuff gets taken care of.

I figured the water pump would be pretty simple, but I should know better, nothing on these cars is simple. Thanks for the heads up.

I didnt take the fans off when I installed my Meziere water pump. And I have never removed the air pump. But I may have loosened the bolts if needed, but I dont really remember, however I know I have never removed it for sure. Also I never removed any part of the ignition. Just follow the Haynes book. They tell u how step by step.

actually, I did remove one fan but the air pump never came off. I dont even know where its at. And the only reason I took one fan off was because the meziere HD water pump is very tall. It sticks out further than the stock pumps and even more than the regular meziere pumps. But if your just replacing the stock part with a stock pump, then i doubt you will have to remove any fan.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Thanks. I am finally getting around to getting at it tomorrow. My friend has a larger garage, so we are doing it over there. I may go to the library to see if they have a Haynes manual I can check out. We have pretty much all day Wed to do it.

Black
    1996 Trans Am

its really not that bad just take your time and dont get to rought w/the elec. connectors as their about 14 years old! i changed mine and it took about 4 hours of steady work, just keep another car handy cause youll prolly be makn a few trips to the local parts store. when you go to put the small driveshaft back on the back of the water pump take a look at the 2 small o-rings on the ends and make sure their still rubber, chances are if their the originals, they've turned into hard plastic. i know when i did mine i had cut them off w/a razor blade they were so hard! their only like 0.75 at the dealer.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Ok, so here's the update. Got started a little late but got the waterpump off last night, not too many problems. Had it off in about an hour and a half. Went to the parts store and got a new one. Put it on today and took the AC compressor off. It was completely seized. So, instead of going through the trouble (and expense) of replacing it and stuff, I decided to get an AC bypass pulley. Saves a lot of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by 96t/a View Post
    its really not that bad just take your time and dont get to rought w/the elec. connectors as their about 14 years old! i changed mine and it took about 4 hours of steady work, just keep another car handy cause youll prolly be makn a few trips to the local parts store. when you go to put the small driveshaft back on the back of the water pump take a look at the 2 small o-rings on the ends and make sure their still rubber, chances are if their the originals, they've turned into hard plastic. i know when i did mine i had cut them off w/a razor blade they were so hard! their only like 0.75 at the dealer.
    Funny you mention those rubber O-rings. I got one with the pump, but didn't know what it was for. So I didn't use it. Do I need them? I know its obvious I should, but my mechanic changed my opti a few months back, so the waterpump would have to come off. But the small driveshaft was very clean, I don't think they put those back on. Do I need it? I can't imagine them not putting on one if they needed to go back on. (Yes I trust my mechanic very much and they haven't screwed me or my dad over in the last 10 years we have gone to them.) If I don't put them back on, what would happen?

Black
    1996 Trans Am

i think they just hole that small driveshaft stable, i mean its splined onto the waterpump and into the timing cover so i dont think it will make that big of a diff., its not like they hold in any fluid or anything. you should be alright

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I decided not to take any chances and my friend and i tore it all down again and put the o-ring on. It didn't take too long, so it wasn't that bad. Started it up, let it get warm, no leaks. And everything else ran fine. Damn car makes me nervous.

On a side note, I went to the library and checked out 3 different Haynes and Chilton manuals. Let me tell you, not as thorough as I thought they would be. We did have to take off the AIR pump and ignition coil. And we had to go bolt searching on the water pump because none of the manuals showed where all the bolts were.

Black
    1996 Trans Am

ya those manuals suck, you can usually get way better info on here than from any of those books. well at least now youve been into it and if you have to go back for another pump or the infamous opti you know what to do.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Eh, I'm selling the car now. Its been giving me too many problems and I have sunk way too much money into it. So now that its fixed, I'm getting rid of the damn thing. But at least I have the experience and knowledge.

Thread Information