Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just Bought A SRT8 300

After having to jump start the camaro for my wife a few times these past weeks,she mentioned she wanted a new daily driver.The whole reliable car stuff.It had to be a roomey 5 person car.She knew I loved the look of the 300c but she thought it was too gangster looking.So I relented and let her choose some cars.We were thinking a used bmw 5 series to keep it affordable.Then we tested out a CTS-V.It was a manual,nice car but really not impressed,especially for 400hp,and 41000 for a 2005.We decided to scale down a bit and look at the acura TL.Very nice quality but not roomy enough and a bit ricey.That was a close call.We then went to test drive some 300C's.
    We drove a herritage edition which has better seats,and a few other things.The 5.7 340 hp didn't seem like enough to get the big car moving.Then I caught a light with a new mustang GT while the saleman was in the car and said this could be a deal breaker if I loose.Light goes green and he gets the jump and pulls away.Took that back to the lot.We then took out a SRT8 but I really didn't play to much with it.We went in and talked numbers and noticed a demo SRT with 2000 miles in the showroom at that time. We told him we want numbers on that one,but they basically did everything to talk us out of it and into a new one.Eventually we got pissed off from getting the run around and left.That was when we decided the acura would be it if the test drive went well.Thank god it didn't.Next day back to the SRT demo,new salsman this time and manager. After 2 hours of price wars,and us leaving the lot with no sale,my wife say's " I really like that car,lets pay the extra 3000 to get it.I did low ball them with a 38000 out the door or I'm outa here; and of course they let me leave.So back we go for 2 more hours of paper work to buy it. Took it home at 11:00 at night.

First off, I kept the camaro for my weekend racer, since I haven't even made it down the track since the H/C.Also they would offend me I'm sure with a trade in offer.

Now for the reviews. The SRT is magnificent! Obviously not the power of the Z or power to weight ratio. But for a large car it hauls ass.When you put it manual mode and take it to 6500 it pulls hard. I didn't buy this one to race,will never see the track, so my wife says. The Brembo brakes are wonderful, the seats are the way the camaro should have been and it out handles my Z by far.Navigation and rear dvd entertainment.Dodge got this one right, and chevy had NOTHING to counter with.I did buy the Chrysler extended warrany just in case. The camaro feels; hate to say it but kinda shitty now, and stays outside unless I get more room in the garage.

Performance comparo: Stock LS1 to stock SRT8 from a roll, too close to call.Best three outa five might get it done.I know mine only ran with me a newbie driver at the time at a shitty track 13.5 stock.
    After reading 14 pages of the other SRT topic thought I woud share.

Jay

98 White Z28,M6,T-Tops
    Sport App Pack.
    Mods:BMR STB,KBDD,Dynomax UltraFlow muffler,
    Lid,FTRA,TB Bypass,LT's,
    TEA stage 1.5 5.3L heads
    F6 Cam,LS6 Intake
    422.5 RWHP and 396.2 RWTQ
    2005 Silverado CC,4x4 DURAMAX,Chipped and Piped
    450hp,850ftlb's
    Last edited by ls14jay; 08-19-2006 at 02:47 PM. Reason: no sig

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

How does it take a curve ,,, does it have much bodyroll... And does it have any tale-tale blind spots ???

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Pics please.

Congrats on getting a bad ass ride!

murdered out 06 z06

dude over a cts v
    awe man

No noticable body roll at all,was really impressed with that.. Blind spots don't seem as bad as you would think, about the same as the camaro.Will get some pics up soon as I get a chance.
    The CTS-V was nice, but it didn't impress me at all.It looks good, and feels kinda quick but not overly.It didn't have the room inside either.Also 41000 for an 05 is a bit much IMO.I feel like your paying for the emblem on the caddy.

Thanks
    JAy

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

and get some underhood pics ......pls ....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

and no

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

http://www.newcars.com/review_model/...ysler_300.html a good comparison of a 300 and a Charger ... But does not go in to SRT...

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Congrats man, SWEET RIDE

Hope this works.

Jay
    Last edited by ls14jay; 08-20-2006 at 12:58 PM.
    98 White Z28,M6,T-Tops,Sport App Pack,
    TTS LT's,TEA 1.5 5.3L heads,F6 Cam,LS6 intake,textrailia,moser spool
    422.5 RWHP and 396.2 RWTQ Best time so far 11.53 @ 120.82 N/A, 10.8@126 small shot
    2005 Silverado CC,4x4 DURAMAX,PPE HOT,Van Aaken stack, 6" lift, 35's,
    2006 300C SRT8,Predator,mopar CAI

awesome, congrats...were twins!

you got lucky that they didn't pre-drill the holes for the front bumper...i wasn't so lucky

Get some track vids of that puppy for us!

Quote Originally Posted by ls14jay View Post
    After having to jump start the camaro for my wife a few times these past weeks,she mentioned she wanted a new daily driver.The whole reliable car stuff.It had to be a roomey 5 person car.She knew I loved the look of the 300c but she thought it was too gangster looking.So I relented and let her choose some cars.We were thinking a used bmw 5 series to keep it affordable.Then we tested out a CTS-V.It was a manual,nice car but really not impressed,especially for 400hp,and 41000 for a 2005.We decided to scale down a bit and look at the acura TL.Very nice quality but not roomy enough and a bit ricey.That was a close call.We then went to test drive some 300C's.
    We drove a herritage edition which has better seats,and a few other things.The 5.7 340 hp didn't seem like enough to get the big car moving.Then I caught a light with a new mustang GT while the saleman was in the car and said this could be a deal breaker if I loose.Light goes green and he gets the jump and pulls away.Took that back to the lot.We then took out a SRT8 but I really didn't play to much with it.We went in and talked numbers and noticed a demo SRT with 2000 miles in the showroom at that time. We told him we want numbers on that one,but they basically did everything to talk us out of it and into a new one.Eventually we got pissed off from getting the run around and left.That was when we decided the acura would be it if the test drive went well.Thank god it didn't.Next day back to the SRT demo,new salsman this time and manager. After 2 hours of price wars,and us leaving the lot with no sale,my wife say's " I really like that car,lets pay the extra 3000 to get it.I did low ball them with a 38000 out the door or I'm outa here; and of course they let me leave.So back we go for 2 more hours of paper work to buy it. Took it home at 11:00 at night.
    First off, I kept the camaro for my weekend racer, since I haven't even made it down the track since the H/C.Also they would offend me I'm sure with a trade in offer.

Now for the reviews. The SRT is magnificent! Obviously not the power of the Z or power to weight ratio. But for a large car it hauls ass.When you put it manual mode and take it to 6500 it pulls hard. I didn't buy this one to race,will never see the track, so my wife says. The Brembo brakes are wonderful, the seats are the way the camaro should have been and it out handles my Z by far.Navigation and rear dvd entertainment.Dodge got this one right, and chevy had NOTHING to counter with.I did buy the Chrysler extended warrany just in case. The camaro feels; hate to say it but kinda shitty now, and stays outside unless I get more room in the garage.

Performance comparo: Stock LS1 to stock SRT8 from a roll, too close to call.Best three outa five might get it done.I know mine only ran with me a newbie driver at the time at a shitty track 13.5 stock.
    After reading 14 pages of the other SRT topic thought I woud share.
    I woulda been so mad at my wife. Ugh, can I ever hear a story about marriage being blissful?

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Congrats on teh badass car!!!

Thanks for the comments.

I thought that was a blissful moment myself. Me starting to leave the lot,driving away from the car I have been lusting over for the last couple years,and then hear my wife say "Lets get it!'Very blissfull.

Looks like the factory CIA could use a replacement to free up some hp.That and a superchips flashpacq to get rid of the torque management I've heard about.It's not out yet though.Other then that, no plans of mods.Already turned one nice daily driver into a lopeing,rumbling racer.
    Love the speedo with 180 mph.

Jay

NBM
    99 TA

damn that thing is hawt

Thanks for the comments.

I thought that was a blissful moment myself. Me starting to leave the lot,driving away from the car I have been lusting over for the last couple years,and then hear my wife say "Lets get it!'Very blissfull.

Looks like the factory CIA could use a replacement to free up some hp.That and a superchips flashpacq to get rid of the torque management I've heard about.It's not out yet though.Other then that, no plans of mods.Already turned one nice daily driver into a lopeing,rumbling racer.
    Love the speedo with 180 mph.

Jay
    CAI's haven't really been doing a lot by themselves. Superchips doesn't make the FP for the 6.1 yet.

check out lxforums.com . 300Cforums.com and srt8oc.com for most of your needs

i'm either SRT8PMP or SliverSS on those sites

congrats again!

oh, BTW a few tips:

to fully disengage the traction control hold down the ESP button for 10 seconds. You'll hear a chime and get a message on the EVIC

the car is very adaptive to the driving habits...so if it acts a bit doggish because you've been driving in a fuel thrifty mode just get the car up to full operating temp, shut it off...pull fuse 11 for 20 seconds, put it back in and restart the car...and it's all fresh again.

have fun

Hey thanks Silver, didn't know that.
    Will try it.It does seem a little unresponsive right now at part throttle in auto mode.I'm used to the neck snapping trottle responce of the z though.

Jay

Hey thanks Silver, didn't know that.
    Will try it.It does seem a little unresponsive right now at part throttle in auto mode.I'm used to the neck snapping trottle responce of the z though.

Jay
    yeah they get sluggish due to the adaptive throttle...so you can use the fuse pull method or my preferred "drive it like i stole it" for a few days and it'll be back to normal.

Also the engines are killed by heat soak, so if it's hot where you are that can really affect these cars.

Have you noticed a whining at idle yet? sounds like a belt or something? If you hear them, don't worry...it's just the oil squirters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information