live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

350 beef up ideas

so i have a 69 camaro with a 307 in it (ughhhh... i know) now i am purchasing a 350 crate that has been in a freinds corvette for the last 45k miles. the engine has no problems and is in great condition... but i mean come on, the engine only makes 275 horses. thats so not gonna work for me.

now i already have tuned long tube headers for it, i also have 2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust on my car. I would like ideas as to the best way to beef up the egine while still keeping it streetable for under a grand as im in college and hella poor. also this will be my daily driver so nothin to crazy. but like i said im a kid, i crave power from my engine.... all ideas are apperciated, thanks

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

cam aand heads, best way to start that will but you at 1k if you do the work.

Artic White
    99 SS

I would vote for an aluminum intake, new ignition system, and an electric fan if the engine is already installed in your car. And maybe a higher stall converter, if the car is an auto. I have all these sitting in my garage and they are for sale, lol. But if the engine is sitting on a stand i would at least get a cam and lifters, and try to find a set of heads also. How good are your mechanical skills?

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by brokenls1 View Post
    I would vote for an aluminum intake, new ignition system, and an electric fan if the engine is already installed in your car. And maybe a higher stall converter, if the car is an auto. I have all these sitting in my garage and they are for sale, lol. But if the engine is sitting on a stand i would at least get a cam and lifters, and try to find a set of heads also. How good are your mechanical skills?
    the engine isnt in my car yet, im taking possession of it in about a month and a half... i already have a new ignition system. But the rest of the engine is stock

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i agree with the intake..victor jr man! I havent worked on a 350 in so long but yeah, intake, U/D pulley, make sure the carb is up to the task, if not go with a street demon or edlebrock 650 or 700cfm. maybe a higher ratio rocker arm to free up a few ponies since you cant afford a cam or heads. If you can find a set of heads then Id do those and an intake.

Black
    99 SS

get a holly carb

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

wouldnt he need an adapter? using a edlebrock intake with the holley carb? Ive been out the game for sometime so i could be wrong. Given a spacer/adapter isnt expensive.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    wouldnt he need an adapter? using a edlebrock intake with the holley carb? Ive been out the game for sometime so i could be wrong. Given a spacer/adapter isnt expensive.
    nope not if it is a 4 barrel they should all be universal

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

Nitrous!

red
    1959 corvette

I had a 67 maro with a 350(not original). Is the block an 010 and what year vette was it out of. Try to look for a set of old camal hump heads, if you look around you can probably get some for around 300bucks, then get you a decent intake, maybe edelbrock rpm or torker($130-140), and demon 750 carb with a little ratty cam and youll be happy. Still have a demon 750 chokeless carb off the camaro, I put the holley back on when i sold it. Dont know how much hp youd make(maybe330-350)with these things, but if you have a m21 or m22 tranny in your car it will be ripping.Want 250 for the carb if interested, if not ill get another classic and put it on it one day. Also remember this is a 69 maro so do the things right, and if you dont have the money to make the engine bay look clean, just leave it alone for now,dont jigga rig shitty setups or youll regret it later.
    My mods on the 99 FORMULA
    Whisper lid, K&N, B&M Short Throw, CAI, Magna Flow Exhaust, UMI torque arm, FT LT hdrs, ORY, dual cutouts, 4.11 Gears, BMR SFC, BMR MSB, BMR lower control arms, Poly motor and tranny mounts, 575/568 232/227 111 lobe cam, Taylor wires, ngk tr55s,1 10in. JL W3 for beat.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you want performance on a budget & streetable power, here you go:
    Vortec heads from JEG's, $249.99 (x2)
    Performer RPM Vortec Intake from JEG's, P/N: 350-7116 - $169.99
    Comp Cams XE268 camshaft from JEG's, P/N: 249-12-242-2 $96.99
    JEG's Street Replacment Hydraulic Lifters, P/N: 500-20700 - $39.99

So far, that'll put you at $863.95. Try to talk your friend out of his carb, if you can. Even if it's a Q-Jet, you can get this adapter P/N: 350-2696 from Jeg's to mount it for $34.99. Scrounge for the gaskets and stuff you're gonna need, and you just might come in under a grand.

That setup should be good for 9.5:1 compression on a stock crate motor short block. You'll have plenty of torque to make it a great driver, and you might still get to 360-370 hp at the flywheel.

Good Luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Thread Information