Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FirebirdFanatic

Mustang gets spanked again - Roush vs LS1

Ford. When will they get it right?

I was watching Motorweek and they featured a road test of a Roush Stage 3 Mustang GT (base price $47,000!). It includes a supercharger for the 4.6L, bigger radiator, brakes, etc. Roush claims it makes 415 Horse Power.

In the road test, it posted a 0 to 60 of 5.1 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 13.6 seconds. I am not allowed to post links, but go the motorweek website if you want to verify.

Unfortunately for the dum dums at Ford and Roush, their car only equals 0-60 for a 2002 Trans Am (also 5.1) and actually looses in the 1/4 mile (13.5). The Trans Am road test is also on the motorweek website.

Hmmm... say I'm in the market for a muscle car. Chrysler/Dodge have yet to make anything decent (especially if you want a stick) for less than a Viper. Sad when the SRT 4 outruns your RT cars. That leaves Ford and GM. I could drop $47,000 on a stage 3 and still get beat, or:

99 Trans Am, good shape : $12,500 at a dealer (less at private party sellers)
    LS7 546 Horsepower (per Hot Rod Mag) Crate Engine : $16,795 retail or $16,000 on EBay
    Total price: less than $30,000

Oh, I can hear the Blue Oval dunderheads yelling "Wait, you forgot to include the cost of swapping the engine out!" Not really, as I did not include the credit for the trade-in of the LS1 engine. That should be worth more than the installation costs, but we'll make it easy and just call it a trade.

Hmm - I still have more than $17,000 leftover. Nice set of wheels, some suspension components, maybe remove some door dings. Damn - still got $10,000.

Hey, I know! Maybe one of those STS Remote Turbos would be nice. Horsepower TV threw one on a Corvette and made over 500 horsepower at the wheels (and that was only an LS2). $4000 including an intercooler! call it another $4000 for install if you don't want to do it yourself. (and that's being WAY generous)

Or how about I save a bunch of money and throw a Nitrous Kit on it? A supercharger?

Or just keep the LS7 stock and still destroy everything on the road short of a C6 Z06 or Ferrari? $17,000 would buy a lot of (your favorite vice here). Or even another Firebird (if that was not your vice). Yeah! this one could be a second gen, like a sweet little number on cars dot com from 1975 for $12,950. Only 48,000 miles!

Ahh, I can see it now.... maybe I need a bigger garage.

To add fuel to the fire:

Motorweek's headquarters are local (Owings Mills, MD), and run ALL cars at an actual dragstrip with timed starts and finishes. None of that BS optical fifth wheel junk here. And because they are in the mid-Atlantic area, they are close to sea level and often see negative DA's.

AND their drivers are no slouches:

They ran a 305 TPI car into the 14s.
    They ran a 350 TPI car to low 14s.
    They ran an LT1 into the 13s.
    They ran 2 LS1s through the traps at 108mph.
    They ran a C5Z06 through the traps at 118mph.

And unless its got 32 valves AND a blower, late model Fords just don't perform.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

i agree^^^^and to the mach 1 drivers ........its very true...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FirebirdFanatic View Post
    Ford. When will they get it right?

I was watching Motorweek and they featured a road test of a Roush Stage 3 Mustang GT (base price $47,000!). It includes a supercharger for the 4.6L, bigger radiator, brakes, etc. Roush claims it makes 415 Horse Power.

In the road test, it posted a 0 to 60 of 5.1 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 13.6 seconds. I am not allowed to post links, but go the motorweek website if you want to verify.

Unfortunately for the dum dums at Ford and Roush, their car only equals 0-60 for a 2002 Trans Am (also 5.1) and actually looses in the 1/4 mile (13.5). The Trans Am road test is also on the motorweek website.

Hmmm... say I'm in the market for a muscle car. Chrysler/Dodge have yet to make anything decent (especially if you want a stick) for less than a Viper. Sad when the SRT 4 outruns your RT cars. That leaves Ford and GM. I could drop $47,000 on a stage 3 and still get beat, or:

99 Trans Am, good shape : $12,500 at a dealer (less at private party sellers)
    LS7 546 Horsepower (per Hot Rod Mag) Crate Engine : $16,795 retail or $16,000 on EBay
    Total price: less than $30,000

Oh, I can hear the Blue Oval dunderheads yelling "Wait, you forgot to include the cost of swapping the engine out!" Not really, as I did not include the credit for the trade-in of the LS1 engine. That should be worth more than the installation costs, but we'll make it easy and just call it a trade.

Hmm - I still have more than $17,000 leftover. Nice set of wheels, some suspension components, maybe remove some door dings. Damn - still got $10,000.

Hey, I know! Maybe one of those STS Remote Turbos would be nice. Horsepower TV threw one on a Corvette and made over 500 horsepower at the wheels (and that was only an LS2). $4000 including an intercooler! call it another $4000 for install if you don't want to do it yourself. (and that's being WAY generous)

Or how about I save a bunch of money and throw a Nitrous Kit on it? A supercharger?

Or just keep the LS7 stock and still destroy everything on the road short of a C6 Z06 or Ferrari? $17,000 would buy a lot of (your favorite vice here). Or even another Firebird (if that was not your vice). Yeah! this one could be a second gen, like a sweet little number on cars dot com from 1975 for $12,950. Only 48,000 miles!

Ahh, I can see it now.... maybe I need a bigger garage.
    you know i've always enjoyed pointing out to some n00b ass gt owners that i could smoke them stock and my car was almost 10 years old
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

whats a roush

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the new shelby will destroy a ls1.
    45k sticker price isnt bad either
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i have a hard time beliveing those ROUSH times, i've heard of people getting stock GT's to do those times

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    the gt500s are being raped for prices..they are no where near the msrp tho.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

When the new Camaro SS comes out it will destroy, rape, molest, shit on, pimp slap, and make the Shelby its bitch! my .02

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by stangslayer98 View Post
    whats a roush
    a body kit and blower provided by Roush Racing. It's an aftermarket upgrade through Ford

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Slap a blower on a LS1, and tell me the outcome?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the gt500s are being raped for prices..they are no where near the msrp tho.
    they are going to have the same backlash as the GT did too... I like the Hertz Mustang looks a lot more than GT 500s

Too bad you can't find one for less than $60-65K out the door.

Additionally, that Evolution Performance Shelby that's been thrown around in several forums and on streetfire: That car ran low 13s stock, and only managed a 13 flat with drag radials in good air (watched it personally at Cecil). Destroy an LS1...? The same TnT that the Shelby participated in had a lid and catback only WS6 on Nittos running 2 tenths quicker.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

Id Race One , If I Ever See One I Will Try To Piss Him Off..mabey Hell Race Then....or Ill Get Shot......its 50 50 Here

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i raced one (with my ls6 during the break in point) and destroyed it!!! the guy gave me a thumbs up and when we got to te next light he said "damn that thing sounds as mean as it is fast!" i also complimented his car.... it did look sweet... and it was pretty damn fast...

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

yah they look sweet....almost too sweet like the stupid non functioning brake ducts...and the stupid center pieces...youd think they would take that crap off to lose some weight

black

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    When the new Camaro SS comes out it will destroy, rape, molest, shit on, pimp slap, and make the Shelby its bitch! my .02
    you seem to forget that something as small as a pulley upgrade on a blown car will add big numbers. i can easily see 500 rwhp with basic bolt on mods with a gt500

black

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    Slap a blower on a LS1, and tell me the outcome?
    slap on N20 on the stang an tell me the outcome then.

that mustang comes stock with a blower and a warrenty, unlike a f-body

black

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Too bad you can't find one for less than $60-65K out the door.

Additionally, that Evolution Performance Shelby that's been thrown around in several forums and on streetfire: That car ran low 13s stock, and only managed a 13 flat with drag radials in good air (watched it personally at Cecil). Destroy an LS1...? The same TnT that the Shelby participated in had a lid and catback only WS6 on Nittos running 2 tenths quicker.

not now you cant find one at sticker, wait awhile like when the 03s came out. after about a half year shit will level off.
    13s was a bad driver or he wasnt hooking.
    im not defending the car, im just saying its gonna be a bad mother fucker with proper mods and good driver

black

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    yah they look sweet....almost too sweet like the stupid non functioning brake ducts...and the stupid center pieces...youd think they would take that crap off to lose some weight
    kinda like the useless ram air hoods on the WS6 and camaro SSs ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information