YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Exclamation When in Miami, watch where you're bleepin' going

from CNN.COM
    Survey: South Florida drivers speed, tailgate, cut others off

Tuesday, May 16, 2006; Posted: 1:43 p.m. EDT (17:43 GMT)

(AP) -- Stressed Miami drivers speed, tailgate and cut off other drivers so frequently that the city earned the title of worst road rage in a survey released Tuesday.

AutoVantage, an automobile membership club offering travel services and roadside assistance, also listed Phoenix, Arizona; New York; Los Angeles, California; and Boston, Massachusetts, among the top five cities for rude driving.

Minneapolis, Minnesota; Nashville, Tennessee; St. Louis, Missouri; Seattle, Washington; and Atlanta, Georgia, were rated as the cities with the most courteous drivers, who were less likely to change lanes without signaling or swear at other motorists.

More than 2,000 adult drivers who regularly commute in 20 major metropolitan areas were asked to rate road rage and rude driving in telephone surveys between January and March. The survey conducted by Prince Market Research has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.

Drivers owned up to some rude behavior themselves: Nearly all said they had talked on a cell phone while driving, and 64 percent acknowledged they occasionally drive too fast. Young drivers and people with long commutes were found to be the most likely to react to an aggressive or rude driver. The top reactions included honking the horn, cursing or making an obscene gesture.

No distinct differences were found between male and female drivers.

"Human behavior is so involved with crashes at all levels," said Elly Martin, a spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "[Aggressive driving] is a pattern of behavior drivers exhibit over and over."

AutoVantage, based in Norwalk, Connecticut, hopes to use the survey to educate people about how to resist road rage. Among its tips are remaining calm and not making eye contact with an angry driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I can personally attest to LA (grew up in LA county) and NY (business trips). One of my favorite lines from an LA comic: "Hey, I just flew in from New York and boy, is my middle finger tired!"

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I'm surprised Miami got the No. 1 "Rage Rating" over NY.
    I would think Florida drivers to be a little less tense than New Yorkers, what's your experience if you've been to Miami?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

this article makes all the sense in the world: how many slow ass old mother bleepers live in florida....decaying further and further as they peddle their saturns and camerys and [the worst] land yachts around....

new york doesn't have drivers....just taxis...and they will kill you without prosecution if you walk infront of them.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

last time I was in NY, my associate and I watched in amazement as an EMT tried to hold up traffic to let an ambulance back out of an alley... only to have several people honk repeatedly to get the ambulance out of the way! It took several attempts as most people just went around the EMT trying to stop traffic. It was touch and go there for awhile until he finally managed to stop enough cars to let the emergency vehicle back out. All the while, everyone is on their horn.

Just glad it wasn't me in the ambulance!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow...

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    this article makes all the sense in the world: how many slow ass old mother bleepers live in florida....decaying further and further as they peddle their saturns and camerys and [the worst] land yachts around....

new york doesn't have drivers....just taxis...and they will kill you without prosecution if you walk infront of them.
    You got it wrong.

How many illegals cubans/mexicans drive in miami barley knowing how to drive at a reasonable speed either to fast or way to slow with 6 people in the car swerving from side to side running into to random people.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

yeah classic. and what you said about NY taxis? +1
    I love how they make a left turn from the far right lane (on a 1-way street no less.)
    I got a near-concussion when one them sped thru a dip in the road causing me to bounce and crash my head into the headliner. I think the driver's name was Mohammed. Head hurt for the rest of the trip.

Thread Information