Red
    '02 WS6

Could I benefit from a tune?

I have an '02 M6 TA with a lid and Flowmaster (not true dual). Would I see a noticable difference if I took it to SpeedTek and have they throw a tune on on it? I am talking about a difference throughout the RPM range not just at the upper end. thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it just depends on how far off the tune is at this point. usually a lid and catback won't change much. if you plan on something serious later on down the road, i would wait. hell, on the wife's car i had most bolt ons and added heads with the stock cam. once tuned, i only gained 17 rwhp more.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    it just depends on how far off the tune is at this point. usually a lid and catback won't change much. if you plan on something serious later on down the road, i would wait. hell, on the wife's car i had most bolt ons and added heads with the stock cam. once tuned, i only gained 17 rwhp more.

I say do as many mods as you can before you tune. and buy your own tuning software to save lots of green

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I say do as many mods as you can before you tune. and buy your own tuning software to save lots of green
    If that is the case, purchasing your own software, tune as much as you like. Be it factory stock or fully built FI stroker, or as you transition from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    If that is the case, purchasing your own software, tune as much as you like. Be it factory stock or fully built FI stroker, or as you transition from one to the other.
    Without a dyno, you wont know if youre doing whats best for the car.

mrr23, youre in orlando right? Do you do tunes there?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    last I checked people don't drive daily on a dyno

You can track test a car to see gains/losses very easily.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Ever heard of a wideband O2? Plus most tuning solutions incoporate a scanner so you stay out of trouble (aka: knock). And as Bill pointed out, many are more interested in track results then being dyno queens.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i just dabble. i have my hptuners open for all 99 and 00 f-bodies right now.

Quote Originally Posted by foff667 View Post
    last I checked people don't drive daily on a dyno

You can track test a car to see gains/losses very easily.
    Its never a means to an end, its a tool. Can you make pass after pass, day after day at the track? Not me. If I am consistent, then the only things limiting me would be weather/track conditions, human error, something breaking, etc.

Making the most out of a dyno tune at least leaves that possibility out.

I am an EFILIVE tuner and I have found it to be that on most STOCK gen 3 motors (trucks & SUV's ) you can gain from about 17-25 RWHP pretty easily with the engine adjustment-Also If it is an Auto Trans--You can gain from .200 to .500
    in the 1/4. by tweaking the trans tables.
    NOW on the STOCK Corvettes & Camaros--it is quite a different story-they are already pretty finely tuned from the factory and i only see about 8-18 RWHP gains---And on an A4 again nice gains in the 1/4 ET dept.
    With a handheld you won't see much on Part throttle improvements -However with a full blown tuner you can mke some good HP #'s down low--helps with city driving MPG--and transmission life--One of the major tables that shows PT gains is table B3616-- Normal part throttle mode enable--Stock is anywhere from 70% to 90%--meaning you won't go into open loop power enrichment until you are almost at WOT---I set this usually down to about anywhere from 50% to 65% depending on what the customer wants--Lower #'s will kiil your fuel MPG but will really make it come alive way early in the RPM band. I personally like to set it at 68% which is a good mediam for MPG and power enrichment---so just before 3/4 throttle it will jump into open loop--fuel AFR will go to best setting ( about 12.8 is what I like )-makes it really leave harder down at the lower RPM's

Silver
    2002 Z28

You can always use a tune, just make sure that if you're paying for a tune before major mods that will require a retune, your tuner should at least discount the later tunes. Most will tune for free after the first time, because they'll save your tune in their pc and have most of the work already done when it comes time to tinker again.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Thread Information