green
    94 z28

Getting rid of the power windows and locks....

Well, I'm getting tired of the power windows and having to change the motors and such. Also, the weight reduction is nice.

Anyways, I was wondering how I could put in non-powered windows. Any guides on this? I'm fairly sure I'll have to modify my door panel for the handle to turn that rolls the window up and down.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I was looking into that a while ago. according to the internet its such a pain to get the manual window stuff installed in your door that the easiest way was to just buy new doors and paint them... I also keep hearing that the manual windows really aren't that much lighter although no one really had any measurements for either. I ended up keeping my power windows because I found a way to make them work. If it's just the window motors breaking all the time, over on ls1tech they have this thing that redistributes power to the passenger side motor so it doenst burn out so often or something. Im sure you could find it with a search. No power locks though. nothing changed for that, I just never hooked the wiring back up.

white
    2002 z28

i also think at autozone that they sell lifetime warrenties for the window motors

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

get autotrix's fix, i got it, it works so good on the pass. side i wish they had a fix for the drivers side!

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    get autotrix's fix, i got it, it works so good on the pass. side i wish they had a fix for the drivers side!
    You can do the exact same thing for the driver's side. The wiring is the same, so you could use the passenger's side kit and just modify the length of the wiring. I did the same thing to my windows, and they move a lot faster.

green
    94 z28

Well, it's not just the motor. Just recently I went to mess with the buttons/wiring while taking the door panel off to have a look at the motor after it messed up again(but would at random times work) and noticed that the wiring was really bad. As I put the panel back on, I turned the car on and tried the buttons on the driver side and it started to smoke and tried to catch fire. So I'm just done with it.

Getting a new door? Are any of the camaros stock with manual windows? Painting it is no problem, because I'll be painting the whole car fairly soon anyways.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Getting a new door? Are any of the camaros stock with manual windows? Painting it is no problem, because I'll be painting the whole car fairly soon anyways.
    Absolutely. A lot of the base V6's and also some of the Z28's have manual windows stock.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Absolutely. A lot of the base V6's and also some of the Z28's have manual windows stock.
    Yep. I ordered manual windows/locks on my "stripper"...they are out there.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

There are plenty in salvage yards. Mine came factory with all manual and when I got run off the road and sideswiped a pole the door needed to be replaced and I had several to choose from. Manual has a little more weight savings over the power units not only in the mechanisms but the wiring relays etc. Thats why your average "stripper" like mine are lighter with me in it than an SS is without driver.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Thread Information