iTrader

black
    98 SS camaro

Your thoughts, 98 M6 SS, high miles

Hey guys I found a car identical to mine except it is a 6 speed, and seems to be tighter than mine, body is free of scratches and dings, very glossy, Chevrolet dealership always maintained it. One owner, primary driver, the gentleman drove at least 132 miles everyday to work and back. it has 193,000on it. Miles don't scare me as long as a car has been taken care of but this is way more than I am used to. The price is $5800, 98 SS M-6 loaded.
    feedback appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jaybird

iTrader

Silver
    98 Honda Civic

my .02? 193K is a lot. Even if the car has been properly maintained, I don't see it going more than another 50K without needing some work. If you buy it, just know you're probably going to be throwing more money at it in the future. Good luck in your decision!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar
    iTrader

silver
    1998 Z28

i bought mine with 170 on the clock for $5k. has a few cosmetic issues. but overall, i like it. if it's in really good condition, obviously except the miles, i'd say see if he'll take 5500 for it.

iTrader

black
    98 SS camaro

98 ss

That is what the dealership is going to give him for trade, (what they say they are going to give him). So that is the least he would take for it.

iTrader

Red
    2001 SS (M6) #4581

hell for 5500 bucks, you could throw a fresh stroked LS1 in that thing and still get out under 10k. and its an 02' you say? ide be all over that deal. fresh powerplants are a dime a dozen these days

iTrader

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ss_caramo View Post
    hell for 5500 bucks, you could throw a fresh stroked LS1 in that thing and still get out under 10k. and its an 02' you say? ide be all over that deal. fresh powerplants are a dime a dozen these days
    its a 98 not a 02

Hell I say buy it .. go to a junk yard find a speedometer with half the mileage if not less .. pop it in resell and make themoney to buy a real low mileaged one haha jk Seriously though with 193k on it I wouldnt touch it unless you can do the motor swap yourself and not pay for it ..
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

iTrader

NBM
    99 TA

if you can afford to dump some money into it to freshen up the drivetrain then go for it... $5800 isn't alot of money and if the body/interior is mint then i think you could build a monster and have a really nice car on a budget

iTrader

Black
    02 Z06

holy shit a 192,000 miles? Thats more then anything I've ever seen! think of all the gas he went through?

But for $5,800. why the hell not? If cosmeticly it's in good condition who cares? Take out a 9,000 loan. Replace the internals with some aftermarket parts, replace the suspension, and the clutch assembly, and you'll defintely be wanting to think about the rearend and you'll be hauling some ass for cheap! You'll still be spending $8,000 less then what most people pay for their stock SS with all those modifications!

I wish i came across a deal like that here. I'd be all over that. Anyways, good luck man and keep us updated.

iTrader
    I would not be scared of the miles at all. I know a guy that has a 2000 chevrolet pickup with the 6.0 and he has 340,000 miles and has done nothing to the motor or rearend and is still driving it.

iTrader

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

I agree, miles dont really matter that much as long as the car is taken care of prety well. I once had a 91 buick regal with 286,000 miles before the original transmission had finally given out on me. Prior to the tranny going out i didnt spend a single dime on a major repair.

iTrader

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Hey, I am selling a 95 z28 with 76,000 miles, its listed in this forum. Its really clean....LT1's are great for the money! Go to "I am selling my 95 z28 " you wil see.

iTrader

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I see a few of you giving examples of how other cars youve seen .. making it to 200 and over 300 thousand miles with no problems.. the difference in that is this SS is a sports car that has probably seen many hard driven miles being tortured by each new owner its gone through... who has the experience of getting into a new sports car.

The truck with over 300 k .. probably a highway miles truck.. work truck .. not raced or romped on but rather put to work and has a totally different setup.

buick regal .. grammas car.. again not raced.. probably babied never even saw over 80 on the speedometer..

$5800 is an incredible discount considering these are$30 and some change .. thousand dollar sports cars..but the engine is the heart of the car .. would you buy a heart that had that mileage on it if you needed a transplant but were getting a great discount? no telling whether youll get 5 more miles or 50 thousand more miles before something happens..

big gamble but best of luck if you do get it

iTrader

Black
    99 SS

sounds like a good deal, and if it does crap out you can always rebuild it man

iTrader

red
    2002 Trans Am

spend the extra 2-3k and get one with under 100k

Thread Information