Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Patriot cam 226/226

I'm looking into buying a Patriot 226/226 @ .050 & 585-585 lift on a 112 LSA
    Would this cam be too big for a full bolt on Z-28? Compared to the TR 224 cam would the 585 lift over the 563 give me more power across the RPM range and how would the idle be? I'm just looking for an in between cam, nothing huge that would sacrifice low end torque and driveability but one that would make great power and sound mean. Anyone have a sound clip? opinions?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    I'm looking into buying a Patriot 226/226 @ .050 & 585-585 lift on a 112 LSA
    Would this cam be too big for a full bolt on Z-28? Compared to the TR 224 cam would the 585 lift over the 563 give me more power across the RPM range and how would the idle be? I'm just looking for an in between cam, nothing huge that would sacrifice low end torque and driveability but one that would make great power and sound mean. Anyone have a sound clip? opinions?
    a 226 would not be too big of a cam for a full bolt-on car. anything 230 or under is good for a Daily Driver and will produce the results you are looking for. As for idle that's whatever your tuner sets it to be. my cam has a 112lsa and has been tuned to idle at 850rpm. your .585 is slightly more than my .581 so again, you will be fine.

are you currently running a cam, if so, what are the specs?
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks for the help, so far I haven't done anything internally to the car so it's got the stock cam right now. I just got off the phone with them down there so I've got the cam on the way. Now I need some valve springs and the gaskets. Would you recommend changing the pushrods? My car is an automatic but I plan on swapping it for a 6-speed with my tax return in January which is why I'm kinda considering the pushrods. What type are the best, he said I need the 7.400 length which I'm sure is the stock length correct? I plan on using the Comp 918 springs that everyone is running along with new valve seals and retainers. Thanks again and I can't wait to hear this bad boy run.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I know this doesn't answer your original question but have you looked into what you can do to you 4l60? That transmission is like an early 350 you can tweek it for a little money and do a lot. The t56 is great but 6th gear is useless unless you change gear sizes and they have a crazy price. You mite get what you want in the auto with a lot less money.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

a 226 is a good mid range/ daily driver cam.
    youll have plenty of power threwout the rpm band.
    personally i would keep the auto and stall it.
    get hardened pushrods.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    I'm looking into buying a Patriot 226/226 @ .050 & 585-585 lift on a 112 LSA. Would this cam be too big for a full bolt on Z-28?

I'm just looking for an in between cam, nothing huge that would sacrifice low end torque and driveability but one that would make great power and sound mean. Anyone have a sound clip? opinions?
    If you know how to tune, or know someone who does, that 226/226 cam will purr like a kitten, and pull like a mofo. If you want a rough idle though, it's all in the tune...

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks, all my tuning will be done by Speed Engineering and Dyno in Decatur Tennessee. I want a little bit of a choppy idle so when I take it down I'll tell him what all I want out of it. I've got a shitload of codes that need to be deleted too.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Why the swap to an M6?!?
    With a converter change you can be very consistant & whip up on some M6 people all day.
    Depends on your future planned use for the car really. If you're drag racing, stick to the A4. If road course, or otherwise, or maybe just want the feel of some stick in your hand, shifting all day, then look into the M6.

A4 saying, "Just punch it & steer", ...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Look into other cams. As far as I know, the Patriot cams are still using an older, lazier lobe design.
    Try TSP/Thunder/Futral for a similiar cam with newer lobes. More power with the same grind.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacFan View Post
    Why the swap to an M6?!?
    With a converter change you can be very consistant & whip up on some M6 people all day.
    Depends on your future planned use for the car really. If you're drag racing, stick to the A4. If road course, or otherwise, or maybe just want the feel of some stick in your hand, shifting all day, then look into the M6.

A4 saying, "Just punch it & steer", ...

Just a little note, I hate automatics and I don't drag race my car. A M6 is much more fun to drive and is able to use more of the power available than this POS 4L60-E in my Z-28. I'm the road race, autocross, and mountain driving type of person so a automatic is plain useless to me.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Look into other cams. As far as I know, the Patriot cams are still using an older, lazier lobe design.
    Try TSP/Thunder/Futral for a similiar cam with newer lobes. More power with the same grind.
    This Patriot cam is on a XER lobe with 585 lift, that's plenty for me. I don't drag race my car so the mid range power is more of what I'm looking for in a corner carving camaro such as my Z-28. This cam pulls really well and sounds good so I'm happy.

Thread Information