Thread: cams????

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

cams????

ok so now i found out that no one will put a cam in my car in my town they all say that putting a cam in these cars screws everything up and its too big of a liability for them to do it. i really just think they are full of crap but i dont know i could really go for a good proffesional decision from the people that actually drive the cars with cams in them. i think they just had bad luck with people wanting the biggest cam they can find and not being able to tune it. anyways i really need a second opinion before i go on with this.
    thanks
    2002 WS.6--------------------1994 Camaro
    QTP LT headers-----------------V6 3.4L Bone stock!
    QTP ORY W/Cutouts - POS!
    SLP CAI Lid
    SLP Line Locks
    Aeroforce OBD-II Gauges
    92mm FAST Intake
    92mm FAST TB
    Stage 2 A4 trans

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

People put massive cams in our cars with little to no problems. Just make sure you do the neccesary supporting mods like LS6 oil pump, better timing chain, Valve Springs, and pushrods. Don't think I'm forgetting any thing else. If you do all this and a tune you should be good to go.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

YEah make sure you have those mods, and headers, exhaust and a new intake manifold really opens the cams power up, but these motors with new springs and pushrods can run a cam up to 6500rpms all day long. You will need new valve springs, pushrods, oil pump isnt a must be get one and timing chain and you car can handle a good size cam. People all over underestimated the ls1.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I have a TR224 in mine with all the supporting mods. I installed myself with a little help and love it. Next time, I will go bigger yet when I do heads.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Id say 228/232 is a good cam for a street car, that is also used for pleasure drives and just under .600 lift, you will still get 30-50rwhp and it wont be a bitch to deal with.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

it's not the size of your cam. You can put the biggest cam in there with the biggest spec but it may not be right for your engine. Yeah I'm running a T-rex but I've also got 40 more ci over stock

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Oh, the hard part is finding a good tuner in your area. Research some LS1 specialty shops in your area that guys trust before you get a cam

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Bigbucks, I see you are from Billings. Now if thats Mt, you may have trouble finding a tuner, trust me on that. But you may want to call Michael @ Rimrock Auto. He has a Firehawk with a Procharger, and his mechanic tunes it with LS1 edit. He might be able to help out. He's also a member here and goes by mghawk57. I have put 2 different cams in my 98 TA, so research where you want to be in the end and do it only once. Like everyone says the supporting mods are a must.
    Suncoast Creations hood, p&p throttle body, LS6 intake, Dart 225cc 2.02/1.60 heads, TSP 233/239 cam, Hooker headers, 3" duals, Yank SY 4000 stall, LS6 oil pump, double roller timing chain, iridium plugs, Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Vizage body kit.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2658525

NBM
    1998Z28

Manual or A4 Tranny? What gear ratio in the rear?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I have a TR224 cam. Great street cam and great power. I'm still on stock heads and gained about 40-50rwhp with mine. No problems at all, don't listen to those people who told you the other, they are just lazy and don't want to make any money.
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS M6
    Thunder Racing 224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA
    FLP longtube headers (No cats) and y pipe
    GMMG catback
    Underdrive pulley
    LS1 motorsports lid
    PRO 5.0 with Lous Short stick
    Lower control arms,adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors.
    NITTO 555RII's

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hwystar View Post
    Bigbucks, I see you are from Billings. Now if thats Mt, you may have trouble finding a tuner, trust me on that. But you may want to call Michael @ Rimrock Auto. He has a Firehawk with a Procharger, and his mechanic tunes it with LS1 edit. He might be able to help out. He's also a member here and goes by mghawk57. I have put 2 different cams in my 98 TA, so research where you want to be in the end and do it only once. Like everyone says the supporting mods are a must.
    i actually met mike while i was on leave in september hes a good guy to talk with about the car i seen his car and had to pull over to talk to him while he was eating lunch in the mall parking lot and see the procharger under his hood. very nice car by the way. nice car mike.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

thanks for the help and i plan on doing all the mods didnt know if there was anything i wasnt informed on since i was getting the same answer from every chevy mechanic, and i figured they were just stupid concidering everyone else has been puting cams in their cars. anyways i definatly plan on going with the TSP torquer 2 i beleive on more question though, i know alot of people like a smooth idle i just want to know if the LSA should be a big deal i like the rough sounding idle so i was going to go with the 112 let me know if this could be a mistake. sorry for all the questions im trying to get everyone to take my car around to get stuff done to it before im home in june. anyways thanks for the help.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigbucks39 View Post
    thanks for the help and i plan on doing all the mods didnt know if there was anything i wasnt informed on since i was getting the same answer from every chevy mechanic, and i figured they were just stupid concidering everyone else has been puting cams in their cars. anyways i definatly plan on going with the TSP torquer 2 i beleive on more question though, i know alot of people like a smooth idle i just want to know if the LSA should be a big deal i like the rough sounding idle so i was going to go with the 112 let me know if this could be a mistake. sorry for all the questions im trying to get everyone to take my car around to get stuff done to it before im home in june. anyways thanks for the help.

A 112 will do that. The lower you go the rougher the idle will be. It's usually a decision between 112 or 114. I personally like the 112 idle, it's meaner.

Oh, how we wish it was that simple....

EFFECTS OF CHANGING LOBE SEPERATION ANGLE (LSA)

Tighten (smaller LSA number)/Widen (larger LSA number)

Moves Torque to Lower RPM/Raise Torque to Higher RPM

Increases Maximum Torque/Reduces Maximum Torque

Narrows Power band/Broadens Power Band

Builds Higher Cylinder Pressure/Reduce Maximum Cylinder Pressure

Increase Chance of Engine Knock/Decrease Chance of Engine Knock

Increase Cranking Compression/Decrease Cranking Compression

Increase Effective Compression/Decrease Effective Compression

Idle Vacuum is Reduced/Idle Vacuum is Increased

Idle Quality Suffers/Idle Quality Improves

Open Valve-Overlap Increases/Open Valve-Overlap Decreases

Closed Valve-Overlap Increases/Closed Valve-Overlap Decreases

Natural EGR Effect Increases/Natural EGR Effect is Reduced

Decreases Piston-to-Valve Clearance/Increases Piston-to-Valve Clearance

Speedworld:
    A 112 will do that. The lower you go the rougher the idle will be. It's usually a decision between 112 or 114. I personally like the 112 idle, it's meaner.
    The duration or overlap is what dictates a smooth idle or choppy idle, i just don't want you thinking that the LSA is solely responsible for the chop....
    A rough cam can be made more streetable by grinding more LSA into it.

WHITE
    2000 TRANS AM

i have a ms4 cam with a 111 and a drive my car everyday i love my cam makes killer power and the cam install is easy takes half of day

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The ones that I have heard with 112 are noticeably choppier than 114. I know it's not the only factor but it plays a part, atleast for what I've heard in person, you can tell the difference. Thanks for the extra info though.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

thanks for the help, i really dont think the LSA is going to effect my DD too much more than just getting the cam all though i like the rough sound. thanks alot for the info though.

Thread Information