You should be all over the road... like this guy

But it all kinda matters on how well off your clutch is

Don't tread on me!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    You should be all over the road... like this guy

But it all kinda matters on how well off your clutch is
    I was leaving the dealer's lot today and had to "get on it" a little to get into the traffic flow. She talked to me when I upshifted to second. I was surprised. I had a 1999 M6 non-WS6 and it never barked going into second, even when I was running full-out. Is the WS6 that much stronger? I'm thinking the rear end may be a bit tighter than the other one was.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

At WOT shifting normally you should bark your tires if you clutch is strong enough. Power shifting you should lose most if not all of your traction. My WS6 would spin the tires all the way through first if it was cooler outside, maybe below 50 degrees or so.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Depends on the tires to be honest and depends on the condition of the drivetrain.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

All three of my T/A's (95, 01, 02) let them loose going into 2nd and 3rd. My 01 won't into 3rd with the 285's but will with the stock 245's.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

All depends on the driver, road conditions, tires, clutch and more! I don't hear it too much on the street, but when I am at the drag strip I can hear it LOUDLY and I get sideways a foot or 2 into second, usually hear a nice bark into third and sometimes fourth. My GS D3 tires have 6/32 tread left.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have a 2000 non-ws6 Trans Am m6 and i spin into second and chirp into 3rd, and the ws6 isnt any faster than the base T/A

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

your power shifting an 800 mile car...good lord CHD, way to ease into it, bro!!

Don't tread on me!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    your power shifting an 800 mile car...good lord CHD, way to ease into it, bro!!

I think I mispoke. I don;t know what power shifting even means. WHat I meant to say was, I accelerated a bit going through first, not enough to make any noise, and when I shifted into second I was surprised to get a chirp.

What is powershifting, anyway?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CHD View Post
    I think I mispoke. I don;t know what power shifting even means. WHat I meant to say was, I accelerated a bit going through first, not enough to make any noise, and when I shifted into second I was surprised to get a chirp.

Powershifting is defined as one of two things, depending on who you ask.

Most people, including myself, consider powershifting to be when you change gear without lifting off the throttle. So, for example, on a 1st to 2nd shift you would take 1st to the redline, hit the clutch and grab 2nd, all while the throttle is held to the floor. If you aren't fast enough, it will hit the rev limiter, or the revs will go high enough that the trans locks you out of the next gear.

Some people consider powershifting changing gears without using the clutch at all. So basically you floor the gas, take it to the redline, and rip the enxt gear without even touching the clutch. If you aren't perfect at it though (it takes some skill), you'll just grind gears. This can often times result in serious transmission damage, too.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

It's hitting the gears hard under power... I would think you could easily get a second gear chirp out of the car without abusing it, even with only 800 miles on the car. Still, I would baby the clutch and engine until it has at least a couple thousand miles on it.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Powershifting is defined as one of two things, depending on who you ask.

Most people, including myself, consider powershifting to be when you change gear without lifting off the throttle. So, for example, on a 1st to 2nd shift you would take 1st to the redline, hit the clutch and grab 2nd, all while the throttle is held to the floor. If you aren't fast enough, it will hit the rev limiter, or the revs will go high enough that the trans locks you out of the next gear.

Some people consider powershifting changing gears without using the clutch at all. So basically you floor the gas, take it to the redline, and rip the enxt gear without even touching the clutch. If you aren't perfect at it though (it takes some skill), you'll just grind gears. This can often times result in serious transmission damage, too.
    I gotta say that either of these methods will take a considerable toll on your car. The first will increase clutch wear by 10 fold, and the second will shorted transmission life dramatically while making little if any difference in acceleration. Of course the first method is acceptable for racing, and I had a 69' Road Runner that would get 4th gear rubber at 120mph using this method. A 6M WS6 with a solid clutch should easily get second gear rubber without abusing the car in the slightest. Of course rear end gearing is a major factor in how easily the tires break loose.... In my opinion there is a big difference between power shifting, and just plain wreckless abuse.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

Ive heard a lot of people refer to this method as floating the gears in. This is the way i shift gears in my F550 with the powerstroke diesel in it. Modern diesel trucks are intended to be driven this way because of the numerous amount of gears and how heavy the clutch is. Doing it in a car with a normal gas motor is much more difficult but can be done

Don't tread on me!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    It's hitting the gears hard under power... I would think you could easily get a second gear chirp out of the car without abusing it, even with only 800 miles on the car. Still, I would baby the clutch and engine until it has at least a couple thousand miles on it.
    I definitely misspoke above. I took my foot off the gas and used the clutch going into second. I then accelerated just a tad above normal and she chirped. I'm going to spoon feed her until she at least has a couple of thousand miles on her, as hard as that is to do.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

ohh shell bark alright.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I definitely misspoke above. I took my foot off the gas and used the clutch going into second. I then accelerated just a tad above normal and she chirped. I'm going to spoon feed her until she at least has a couple of thousand miles on her, as hard as that is to do.
    As low mileage as your car is, it would be tempting to buy another one just to drive...lol
    I have no doubt a pristine late model WS6 will be worth very big bucks in a few years. Quite possibly more than any of the original TAs. I remember the first time I saw a new WS6 thinking it is the first car since the Hemi Cuda that looked as agressive. If I could afford it I would buy a high mileage WS6 that had been modded to the hilt for my everyday driver, and keep my low mileage one.... LOW mileage. I figure in 10 or 15 years these cars will be a major addition to our retirement funds...

Don't tread on me!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    As low mileage as your car is, it would be tempting to buy another one just to drive...lol
    I have no doubt a pristine late model WS6 will be worth very big bucks in a few years. Quite possibly more than any of the original TAs. I remember the first time I saw a new WS6 thinking it is the first car since the Hemi Cuda that looked as agressive. If I could afford it I would buy a high mileage WS6 that had been modded to the hilt for my everyday driver, and keep my low mileage one.... LOW mileage. I figure in 10 or 15 years these cars will be a major addition to our retirement funds...
    I know what you mean. There was a A4 Pewter vert with 6k miles on sale at the same time I bought mine. If I could afford it, I'd buy them both and drive the A4 into the ground while keeping the miles off the WS6.

This car is my retirement fund.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

After putting my Mcleod clutch in my 01 would bark 4th. Power shifting is shifting full throttle without letting off the gas between shifts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

M6, stock LS6 clutch. I can chirp any gear and i've even burned the tires through four gears. These cars have plenty of power to bark at anytime...it's the bite that the other driver's have to worry about.

Thread Information