White
    98 Trans Am

Minor problems (headlights,doors,windows)

I'm sure I can research and find the answers I'm looking for, but I'm too lazy plus someone might know off the top of their head. These are kinda stupid questions but anyways...

1. Headlights:
    The grinding noise when they pop-up/close. Is this a gear problem? I mean, they always open and close properly, but just make a grunt noise from the motors. How much money and trouble am I looking at to fix this?

2. Doors:
    Driver door doesn't close smoothly. Kinda have to close it hard, and sounds kinda like closing a door on an old pickup. Easy to tell it doesn't sound smooth when closing. The car is a 98, so it shouldn't be like that (I assume). What could be my problem on it?

3. Windows:
    Sometimes the windows take forever to go up. Is this a common problem and would it be the motors going bad?

Thanks everyone!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by candlelit View Post
    I'm sure I can research and find the answers I'm looking for, but I'm too lazy plus someone might know off the top of their head. These are kinda stupid questions but anyways...

1. Headlights:
    The grinding noise when they pop-up/close. Is this a gear problem? I mean, they always open and close properly, but just make a grunt noise from the motors. How much money and trouble am I looking at to fix this?

2. Doors:
    Driver door doesn't close smoothly. Kinda have to close it hard, and sounds kinda like closing a door on an old pickup. Easy to tell it doesn't sound smooth when closing. The car is a 98, so it shouldn't be like that (I assume). What could be my problem on it?

3. Windows:
    Sometimes the windows take forever to go up. Is this a common problem and would it be the motors going bad?

Thanks everyone!
    1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

White
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Refer to this thread for the headlight problem.

My door doesn't close right either, and I'm pretty sure the reason for mine is it had been in a wreck before I got it (yeah, didn't find this out until later, wasn't on carfax). I'm not saying yours has been wrecked, but that's just one possible cause for it. As far as a fix, if you're any good at body work you could take a look at it and try to realign it, I've just lived with it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Just one of those annoying little things that I try to ignore. Otherwise you could probably take it to a body shop and pay a truck load of money to get it fixed. Also just double check that there isn't anything that's in the way of it closing, make sure it swings freely, stuff like that. Kind of dumb stuff to check I know, but one never knows.

Yes, it is the motor going out. Refer to this thread for the window motor swap.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

did the pervious owners run her like they stole her? ..becuase it sounds like maybe soe frame bending, and flexing ( common with f-bodies) also check the lines and gaps and compare the passenger door with the passanger door...becuase if you jack the car up wrong then it really screws with the trim..but i never herd of it messing with the door's closing smoothness. anyways it would be a wise infestment to get subframe connectors..they might actually help with your door prob.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Thread Information