sebring silver
    2000 z28

drive shaft weight

ok im a little obsesive when it comes to shedding weight, what i would like to know is what is the diff from a stock steel driveshaft compared to an after market aluminum or even a stock aluminum

i have the steel and am removing my tranny for rebuilt and will weigh it on a dig. scale so i really only need the weight of and aluminum one, not asking you to remove yours, but if its out for some reason go ahead and weigh it for me

if there is more than an 8 pound diff, then this would be a great swap especially with low gears(mine are 3.73)

Black
    2001 T/A M6

I've saw this before and still don't know why people are still saying it, but 3.73 are not that low 4.10 is low the bigger the number the lower the gear ratio, and vice versa, therefor 4.10 is lower and 3.73 are higher the reason why it looks backwards is because of the TSP ( top speed rating ) the lower the gear ratio the slower your TSP will be, and again vice versa. Sure you will launch harder and if your on a track get em low because you don't have that far to go, but for street or normal driving you don't want that low of a gear like 4.56 or 4.88 now for 6 speed trans its cool to run 4.10 just because of that extra gear, which is why the A4's are running 3.73 they have 2 less gears.

Thread Information