Thread: new rearend

RED
    1998 T/A

new rearend

I have a '98 trans am not a ws6 and I just blew the rearend I just replaced it with one out of a '02 b4c cop car. Is this rear end stronger than the old one,
    plus during the swap I broke the right side rear brake line from the splitter to the brake its self can I just go down to the dealership here and get anew one and if so whats the part #

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by jjbadboy View Post
    I have a '98 trans am not a ws6 and I just blew the rearend I just replaced it with one out of a '02 b4c cop car. Is this rear end stronger than the old one,
    plus during the swap I broke the right side rear brake line from the splitter to the brake its self can I just go down to the dealership here and get anew one and if so whats the part #
    Exact same rear end. The Gear ratio might be different but thats about it. As far as the brake line goes, I don't know the part #, But I would go to a junk yard first the dealer is bound to screw ya.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

^^^^

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If i recall correctly the b4c package only consists of, a Bigger oil cooler, Better Battery and a High output Alt.
    So like said above its the same Rear.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can also buy line at a parts store and just bend and run a new line to that wheel. Not that hard to do.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Yep...same one

RED
    1998 T/A

I have the new rear end and the brake line (btw) even the gear ratio on this rear end was the same. but now the tranny will only move in reverse and 1st gear after I start moving
    and hit a certain speed I can shift to 2nd then to 3rd then to drive but drive 2nd and 3rd
    all act like nutral

RED
    1998 T/A

any ideas

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

If its a posi rear, the posi unit might be shot, but for your sake, i hope im wrong.

RED
    1998 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaveofblair View Post
    If its a posi rear, the posi unit might be shot, but for your sake, i hope im wrong.
    the rear end worked fine in the car we took it out of. but if that was the case why would it affect the tranny

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check the obvious first....make sure the shift linkage on the tranny is on there good. Was the tranny showing any signs of trouble before the swap? Really the only thing you do during the rear swap if I remember correctly is remove the torque arm. Not sure how the tranny gets effected during that swap unless the cable got messed up while taking the torque arm off. Get with Performabuilt in the drivetrain section and see if he can steer you in a direction.

RED
    1998 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    check the obvious first....make sure the shift linkage on the tranny is on there good. Was the tranny showing any signs of trouble before the swap? Really the only thing you do during the rear swap if I remember correctly is remove the torque arm. Not sure how the tranny gets effected during that swap unless the cable got messed up while taking the torque arm off. Get with Performabuilt in the drivetrain section and see if he can steer you in a direction.
    thanks Ill do that but I just went out and droped the tranny pan to change the fluid and filter and I found some metal chunks not very big but big enough to know that there not supose to be there. some more info for you when the rear end went I was racing a new charger, I did a short burnout, and took off at WOT I made it about 10ft and the rear end locked up I am wondering if I hurt the tranny when that happend

blue
    2000ss

Well metal chunks in pan you need a trans .

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, metal chunks are bad

RED
    1998 T/A

any thoughts of what happend?

RED
    1998 T/A

Hey guys just wanted to let you know what I found out. The metal piece's that I found in the tranny pan is the sprag gear, Im not a tranny guy so I dont really know what that is. the guy at the tranny shop quoted me $1,500
    to pull and rebuild the trans or $1,200 if I pulled it my self problem being is I am a full time cnc machinest student and I dont have the cash on hand, is this something I could fix my self I have a friend who works at a chevy dealer and has access to all the tools and a lift would this be a good idea and thanks for all the input.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always been intimitdated by a tranny. I've never got the balls up to tear into one other than just doing maintenance stuff and convertors. Just seems like a watch to me. You take the cover off and shit goes "spring" all over the place. Pulling it is a piece of cake, fixing it would be out of my league I think.

Thread Information