Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Oil Change Light Reset...

Ok, I know there's no sensor that actually can tell when my oil is physically dirty. It runs just off the mileage. I know you have to hit the brakes a couple of times or something to reset this, anyone know about it?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Too reset the light, turn key too ign but dont start, press gas pedal three times too the floor, then turn the key too off postion and turn back on. The light should be reset.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

The other way listed in the operator's manual is to turn the key to run and hold the trip down for 10 seconds until the change oil light flashes. Then it is reset.
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; 08-22-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Ditto on the trip reset. That's how it works from at least 1999 up....

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Thanks for the responses guys!

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Ok, I know there's no sensor that actually can tell when my oil is physically dirty. It runs just off the mileage. I know you have to hit the brakes a couple of times or something to reset this, anyone know about it?
    I read about this feature in the owners manual but I thought it was a myth, I've never seen it come on. I must not give the oil a chance to get to this point. The man I bought my car from had the oil changed about 1000 before I bought it, when I got to 3K's later still no light, but I changed my oil anyway so I know it's new. I use the Mobil 5W-30 Full Synthetic 15K oil. I figure I'll monitor my oil and start looking for the light around 7K's but I'm not running that oil until 15K. If I don't see the light at about 7 or 8K, it'll still be a myth. I'm mainly looking for the elusive 20mpg, I see some other people say their car gets. After I make some slight mods, I'll be checking for it.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

If you have driven the car more than 5 or 6K and haven't seen the light, regardless if you changed oil or not, I'd have the light checked out. Even if you change the oil the light should still display eventually. It requires a reset. I'm not sure but have heard that it runs based upon the viscosity of the oil, but then I have also been told that the computer knows how long between resets.

I change my religiously and I always have the light come on around the 5K mark. I use Mobile 1 5W 30 and change every 3,000. I know it goes longer but I prefer to change it that often.

Bottom line, the light should function and if you've been driving over 6K and it never has it may be broken!! Good job of keeping track of changes.

Mike

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The system monitors the number of engine revolutions and the temperature of each of those revolutions. Engine hours is a much more accurate measurement of engine useage, and the temperature of each one of those minutes is an even more accurate method of determining oil change intervals. No it doesn't know the viscosity of the oil, you need to run the recommended oils or know more than the engineers who designed the engine do. It is possible for the system to not recommend an oil change for quite a few miles depending on driving habits and routes. In my case it comes on almost like clockwork at 3,000 mile intervals, but I drive alot of short hops and city stop and go. But it can take me like 7-8 months to go that far.
    On the other hand I can personally testify to the car being capable of 30+ mpg on the hiway, but around town will average 16-18.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Thanks for making me more knowledeable!! Now I have a better understanding of how the system works. I appreciate it.
    Mike

nbm
    00SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    The other way listed in the operator's manual is to turn the key to run and hold the trip down for 10 seconds until the change oil light flashes. Then it is reset.

Thats what I do

Red
    1998 Z28

I don't think there is one for 1998 and earlier, I've never seen it.

yellow
    2002 CETA

My cars is an 02 with less than 5000 miles on it. I have changed the oil 4 times (once a year) and I have yet to reset my oil light. Don't know if it is broke or just hasn't come on. I just use regular 10-30 oil. Castrol twice, Valvoline, and Penzoil. I will use full synthetic next oil change and thanks to the Sarges post http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33234 I will take back the Mobil 1 that I already purchased and get some truely synthetic oil. I also took a trip to Toronto with my car and got high 20's low 30's mpg.
    Last edited by mr.yellow; 11-17-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Mine has come on only once since new, 25K now. Been through 2 dead batteries and several PCM tuning adjustments. Don't trust the GM oil life system anyway, and can't confirm if resetting/retuning the PCM resets it? Still waiting to see how long it takes to come on again.

Thread Information