Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Billet Grill install

Hello guys. I just picked up a billett grill for my 2002 SS. I also bought the 69 "SS" emblem and plan to find a way to attach it to the billett grill. Most of the install notes I've seen for these involve everyone simply placing the grill on top of the stock "CAMARO" grill and screwing it down at the four mounting points, however my car has the SLP "SS" grill (which protrudes outward and seems it would make mounting the billett grill on top of it difficult).

On to Plan B. I would like to remove the stock SLP SS grill and mount the billett grill, however I can't exactly figure out how to get the stock grill off without breaking something. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Once I do finally get the stock grill off, can I simply paint the area black and screw in the new grill?

And finally, if anyone has successfully mounted the 69 emblem on a billett grill, will you please clue me in on how you pulled it off? Since the v-shaped bend doesn't line up properly, I tried to bend mine out and (just like what happened to others) the emblem broke in half. I'd love to fabricate a bracket to attach the emblems to the back, however it is a lock bolt that holds it on (as opposed to a threaded nut and bolt) and I will need to clearance it to fit properly. Anyone have any tips for this as well.

Sorry for all of the questions, however I'm just a little worried I'll rip the stock one off and screw something up!
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

as far as the ss emblem I dunno..........I hope this helps

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks, that picture is very helpful! At least now I know where to pull and where not! I'm hoping to be able to take off the SLP SS grill without breaking any of the tabs. Not sure if that is possible, but I would like to keep it in case I decide to go back to the "stock" look in the future.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

My emblem matched my grille curve exactly and I used the factory emblem mount too. I removed the original plastic "camaro" grille so the billet would set in better.

Black
    2005 GTO

I attached my 69 z28 emblems with 3m double sided outdoor tape. Its basically the same tape gm uses to attach the side molding. I had to bend my emblem a little to fit the bend of the grill. I also ended up breaking it in half but I just glued it back together to fit the bend in the grill.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

let me know how it goes midnight. i also have a 02 ss with the slp upgrade grill and i wanna do the same thing as you eventually. i'm also a fan of not breaking/drilling into my car unless absolutely necessary, so if you find a good way to do it keep us posted!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

OK guys, here's the scoop,.

Issue #1: How to mount the 69 Camaro "SS" emblem to the billett grill. The emblem comes with lock nuts that slide over the posts however are too small to work on our cars. Since my SS emblem was already broken into two pieces, I took each "S" and covered the bottom with 3M tape. That held pretty well, however just to be safe, placed a rubber washer and then a metal washer on the back and fastened it down with a larger lock nut (which I purchased at Lowes) and then topped it all off with JB weld to seal it. I then used my Dremel to trim down the mouting peg so it would fit on the car smoothly. Repeat the same steps for the second "S".

Issue #2: Removal of the SLP SS grill. This was a piece of cake...it just takes a little patience. The grill is held in place by (I think) eight pins. I used a flat head screwdriver and pliers to pull the two side pins and the two bottom pins out. By that time, I could move the grill pretty easily and simply grabbed it and slowly pulled down to get the top 4 pins out. The grill came out smoothly and still looks good as new.

3. Issue #3: Mounting the billett grill. My car is NBM, so no real need to paint the area behind my grill, however I did use a black paint marker to color in the edges of the SLP grill mounting holes. After that I held up the billett grill where I wanted to mount it, drilled the top two mounting holes and used a nylon washer and screws to mount the top of the grill. I took a step back to make sure it was properly lined up and it looked great. I then drilled the bottom two mounting holes, inserted the screws and nylon washers and tightened it down for a snug fit.

All-in-all, it took me about 30 minutes to remove the old grill, clean the area behind it, paint over the edges of the other mounting holes and to mount the new grill. I was really worried this would be a really tough job, however it proved to be pretty easy!

I'll get pics for you guys when I get a chance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    let me know how it goes midnight. i also have a 02 ss with the slp upgrade grill and i wanna do the same thing as you eventually. i'm also a fan of not breaking/drilling into my car unless absolutely necessary, so if you find a good way to do it keep us posted!
    Ripper415: One other thing I wanted to mention above, as far as drilling holes in the car, I hate to do it too. I can't stand "permanent" modifications, however, the mounting holes for the billett grill are in such a place that you would never be able to see them if you decided to put the SLP SS grill back on.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

midnight you're the man! i'll definately be getting a stainless steel billet grill on ebay sometime this summer. i'm also thinking of trying to sell my slp grill because i've seen them go for $200+ online. that would pay for my new grill/emblem and several tanks of gas.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Nice thread I am looking to replace my slp grille as well, anyone know of a maker that sells black grille instead of polished and what is a good rule of thumb to look for when ordering a billet grille by that I mean what type of material is the best and wont break easy and so on.. I also was wondering if you had any time on getting those pictures Midnight?

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

so is any one sellin their slp grill?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_Z28 View Post
    Nice thread I am looking to replace my slp grille as well, anyone know of a maker that sells black grille instead of polished and what is a good rule of thumb to look for when ordering a billet grille by that I mean what type of material is the best and wont break easy and so on.. I also was wondering if you had any time on getting those pictures Midnight?
    Mine came black billet aluminum and I put the SS on.
    MVC-003F.jpg (133.6 KB)
    Last edited by SSTODD; 08-27-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

sscamaro1384 I am going to sell my grille it has some damage to it so I can sell it cheap for an as is sale or i'm probably going to try and get it repaired and sell it closer to what slp sells it for.Here is what it looks like now. Hey SSTODD that is EXACTLY what i'm looking for where did you get it?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ how are they gonna fix that??

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I have a buddy that does fiber glass work.

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

any one else sellin? by the way how much?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

will fiberglass adhear to plastic? if so thats great to know.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

not sure how much i will sell it for offer a price, i know new they go for 250+ but i'm not trying to touch that price with this condition. I am going to let him mess with it and i will let you know if it does work if not I will try to figure out how to get it fixed. I"m sure someone has done it, might have to talk to some body shops around town.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I was just curious if that would work-Let us know how it turns out man.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

not a problem will keep you informed. Anyone know where to get a stull black billet grille?
    Last edited by ghostrider_Z28; 07-09-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information