What's a Miti vac clutch bleeder, and where...

...do I get one?

I want to bleed the clutch on my '99 Z-28, and from what I'm reading it'd be a major PITA to do laying on the ground a couple of floorjacks, feeling around the top of the bellhousing for a bleed screw, then hollering "DOWN....UP..." to My Old Lady for 10-20 minutes. I saw a thread which described the Miti-vac as a device that bleeds from the clutch master reservior (I can't imagine how that works, but that's happened before.)

Gimme the deets,

Thanks,

Gn
    PS: related question...I called a mechanic to see what he'd charge to bleed it, and he said, "Well...if the reservior was empty when you found it I guarantee there's a leak, so you're wasting your time bleeding, because you'll be back at it soon enough. And if you're going to replace a slave or a master, you might as well do them both. And if have got pull the tranny to do that, you might as well do your 136,000 mile clutch too..."

What do you all think? Is it possible that my cylinder sucked air only because the clutch had worn enough to draw all the fluid from the reservior, or is the mechanic probably right...it's leaking every so slowly from somewhere, so it's time to think about replacing the master & slave, and possibly a clutch replacement.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm not sure on the miti-vac bleeder, but as far as your related question, I think replacing all the hydaulics is going a little overboard. 136,000 miles on an original clutch is quite a lot, but if it still grabs fine, then I wouldn't change it. Its not like the clutch is going to just give out completely if its felt fine up until now. As far as hydraulics go, I'd inspect the master and slave and if either looks worn or damaged, definitely replace them. You'd be looking at about $75 for the Slave and $80 for the Master.

mity vac is a hand held vacuum pump, should be able to get at any parts supplier. and insted of sucking the fluid ,you remove the rubber in the cap of the resevoir and use the pressure side of the pump to push the fluid trough. remove the rubber around the slave cylinder and see if the bell housing looks wet inside i bet you have a leaking slave cylinder.

OK...it doesn't sound like there's any magic to te miti-vac...I still need to crack the slave cylinder's bleed screw to let the fluid (and air bubbles) flow, right? The Miti-vac just saves me from hollering "DOWN....UP......DOWN...." to my wife as I open & close the bleeder - correct?

Can you get at the slave cylinder and look in at the bellhousing from beneath the car? It seems they put it in one helluva spot for a shade-tree mechanic laying on his back with the car on jackstands.

Gn

they are hard to bleed without pressure bleeding them darn neer impossible. YEs you still have to crack the line,8mm long socket 1/4 drive and ratchet. you will still need two poeple. yes you can see in under the car or on a lift with a flash light.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Vacumm pump you can get at Autozone for $30 or rent it for $50 - If you do alot of car maintenance buy one it will help in the long run

Thread Information