Thread: not shifting

NBM
    1998 Z-28

not shifting

I don't beat my car much but I felt like playing around with it so I got to a straight away and nailed my car from about 15 mph and then at about 80 mph I hit the rev limiter and it wouldn't shift into the next gear, but if I let off the gas a little it shifted. What could be the issue, I know it's due for a tranny flush and filter? Thanks. Oh I'm an A4.

blue
    2000ss

How many miles are on the car. what is the fluid condition ?

NBM
    1998 Z-28

132,000mi and the fluid does need changed, but it isn't burnt

blue
    2000ss

If this was on the 2-3 shift its likley your 3-4 clutch clearance is too high and they are getting close to failing

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Ok, thanks. I'll change the fluid and see what happens I know I'm on borrowed time with this many miles.

2000 Trans Am

Mine just started doing this after i had my tranny rebuild. 3-4 clutch pac seized up and they put in a 9 clutch pac in with a shift kit, and now mine does what was describe above. What could be my problem?

blue
    2000ss

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Mine just started doing this after i had my tranny rebuild. 3-4 clutch pac seized up and they put in a 9 clutch pac in with a shift kit, and now mine does what was describe above. What could be my problem?
    Thats a hard one without knowing about the build or builder. Many times on a new build it because of excessive clutch clearance or sometimes the realse for the band is to large or theres some issue with the check ball in the capsul in the case, But unless you added a larger stall or something that might indicate a tuning issue I would suggest you talk to the builder about it something is likley wrong

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    that might indicate a tuning issue
    Same thing has been happening to me or happened to me, I put in 3.73s and got my computer tuned, went to the track and ran worse so we all thought it was my maff so I changed it back to the stock one so I line up and go and it wouldnt shift into 2nd from first until I let up. It was crazy so it could be a tuning issue like said above.

blue
    2000ss

Many things seemingly not transmission related can affect transmission performance, For instance a TPS out of range can cause trans to shift at the wrong times. A MAF can cause the PCM to determine and incorrect engine load and play all sorts of havoc from shift problems to high or low line presure even cause transmission failures. And engine miss may cause the PCM to disallow lockup and cause the trans to overheat. VSS bad and the trans may shift crazy or not at all. High powered GMRS radio transmitters and even CB radios to close to the harness have been know to interfere with the speed sensors again causing irractic operation though this is rare. Just a few things of interest,
    Though its my opinion the OP is about to need a transmission from 3/4 clutch failure.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

mine does the same thing when im coasting around 70 and then just punch it. it doesnt kick down and it will just sit there like its lost all power to the motor and if i hold it there it wont shift and if i let off and hit the gas again it will shift, its a big problem when im trying to race people on the interstate. i dont know what it could be kinda thinking it could be the tune but its been doing it ever since the car was completly stock. the problem hasnt gotten any worse since i put the SLP air lid or the QTP LT's and Y Pipe on. ive asked around and everyone seems to just give the run around on this question.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigbucks39 View Post
    mine does the same thing when im coasting around 70 and then just punch it. it doesnt kick down and it will just sit there like its lost all power to the motor and if i hold it there it wont shift and if i let off and hit the gas again it will shift, its a big problem when im trying to race people on the interstate. i dont know what it could be kinda thinking it could be the tune but its been doing it ever since the car was completly stock. the problem hasnt gotten any worse since i put the SLP air lid or the QTP LT's and Y Pipe on. ive asked around and everyone seems to just give the run around on this question.
    I got the computer read the other day and they told me that it wasn't being commanded to shift, at WOT, so we will see.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Dont replace your fluid if your tranny has that many miles. the particales in the fluid are mostlikely holding the clutch packs together. Mine exploded after changing my fluid.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    Dont replace your fluid if your tranny has that many miles. the particales in the fluid are mostlikely holding the clutch packs together. Mine exploded after changing my fluid.
    Thats my thoughts as well. Change it this late in the game and it will go sooner. Most of the others I see like performabuilt says check all sensors first just did a repair on a lexus with problems like bigbucks described. His turned out to be dirty MAF.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

mine only does it on the kick down going that speed. no other gears do it. its confused me since i first noticed it. i bought the car about a month before it started doing it.

Black
    1993 5.0 LX

I have a similar problem where anything above part throttle and anything above 3,000 rpm the transmission will "slip" in and out and I have to let off of it to let it shift... the fluid level is fine and not burnt. The thing is, if I manually hold it in a gear, it will go up to redline with no problems at all. Must be the shift points or something electrical, but I would like to know if anyone else would have any input on this. Why would the pcm "forget" the shift points if I haven't messed with the car at all?

Champagne
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Please help. I have a 2002 Camaro 3800. Changed tranny fluid last night and now transmission won't engage. I have to drive to Seattle on Sunday and this is NOT a great sign.....
    PLEASE HELP

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how much fluid did you put back in it? Did you check the fluid level with the car running and on a flat level surface?

Thread Information