Red/Black
    1999 SS SLP#1507

Any one else have this problem

On my 99 SS the trip meter reset by it's self. I know there is a TB on this, but dealership said only way to fix is replace instrument panel (AT MY EXPENCE) anyone know of a fix

MSZ28

PEWTER
    1999 Z28

i have the same problem, seemed to do it alot when it is cold outside, trip meter will reset and all guages will sweep across when turn the key on.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Mine is doing this right now too. Cold outside as he said. My car was having a hard time turning over too, so I replaced a relay and that went away, but my gauges are still resweeping and miles resetting. Last time it meant my battery was bad...this is what would start happening for 1998 and 1999 models only I believe. Did you ever figure out how or what to do to fix this prob?

Rich

99 Z28 04 Corvette

My car also just started doing this, very annoying.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Its been so long I cant even find this post, but I know I replaced the battery las time and it all went away, but I have a Red Optima and would prefer not to waste the money if it is something else.

It is so strange this has started happening now that it is cold out?

Any help is much appreciated!

Rich

Black
    99 Z28 VERT A4 DD

I had this problem and It was very annoying. I was able to remedy the situation.

I had the exact same symptoms and the problem ended up being an incorrectly installed after market head unit. The way the unit was hooked up allowed for constant drain on the battery. When I would go out to start my car after it had been sitting a little while, the gauges would sweep and the trip counter would reset. This was more pronounced in cold weather as well.

I recommend that you guys check out any electrical system modifications you may have made and make sure they're not draining the battery when the car is not running. Mine was the radio, but your could be anything like radar detectors, amplifiers, etc.

I know this sounds too simple but I had the exact same problem and was able to fix it rather effectively.

nbm
    99 z28

mine has been doing this as well. doesn't bother me much but does anyone know if it will cause any problems or further damage down the road? if not I think I can live with it. my battery is only about 3 years old. I don't drive it much and I have no electrical modifications.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

after i installed the diablo sport on my 99 it started to do this, and sometimes when my battery gets low on my 02 it sweeps but no trip reset , my 99's odometer readings and stuff started to stop work sometimes too,

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

My Black 99 SS would do the same thing and all i did was put the battery on a battery tender/charger for a couple nights, and it went away
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Thanks everyone! I have not done anything to the car lately, so I know it's the battery now since I replaced the relay and it is still doing this.

I will start with a battery exam and charge before replacing it. Thanks for that thought.

I know for a fact that '98 and '99s were known for doing this when the battery was low or bad, so if your early model LS1 does this, charge the battery first. If it still does it, replace the battery altogether.

If you ever have your car feel like it wants to turn over, you can here the fuel pump, you can tell the starter is fine, but it takes 3 or 4 starts to turn over like something wont let it start, replace the $10 ignition relay in the fuse box under your hood and it will go away.

Thanks again....I will report the final outcome prob by tomorrow night.

Rich
    San Diego

Thread Information