silver
    98 z28 cvrt

Rear end WAH WAH WAH

hi guys...

I have a stock everything 98z, i think there are the 373 gears? Not sure, but if you know, id like to be told that as well.

Down to the real question: I get this wah wah wah sound going around tunrs, and i always thought it was the clutches sticking in the lim slip, and that maybe i was just low on oil. Is this the case, or could it be the bearings?

that answered, what would be better.. to work on this rear end or replace it with something better? What am i am looking at in cost?

thanks for any help!

Brad

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

manual or auto trans?

silver
    98 z28 cvrt

auto tranny

Black
    99 SS

go out check your driveside side door, look for the build sheet, look for GU5 or GU3 on the list of codes.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by speede
    hi guys...

I have a stock everything 98z, i think there are the 373 gears? Not sure, but if you know, id like to be told that as well.

Down to the real question: I get this wah wah wah sound going around tunrs, and i always thought it was the clutches sticking in the lim slip, and that maybe i was just low on oil. Is this the case, or could it be the bearings?

that answered, what would be better.. to work on this rear end or replace it with something better? What am i am looking at in cost?

thanks for any help!

Brad
    to replace it would be upwards of $2k

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

if it only makes sounds going around turns, it has nothing to do with your transmission..!!!!!

Instead check:

suspension components for worn bushings
    Fluid level in rear differential
    tire rub.

All f-bodys have about 1/8" of lateral play, with the rear axle. what that means is when your car is jacked up in back, you can push/pull your wheel about an 1/8" from the posi carrier. this play will promote worn parts.

Also remember when you turn, the outside tire, spins faster then the inside tire, and when you driving your axle will pull outward on the lateral play due to centrifucal force. With that said the C-clips that old your axle in place could be worn.

Possible culprits for this noise is, as stated above:

tire rub if your tires are larger then stock and not offest properly.
    suspension components, our cars are built with rubber bushing and rubber doesnt last
    worn bearing in the rear different, from posi to axle.
    Low rear differ fluid, unscrew the fill plug and check the level and fluid.

If this helps, I bought my 2001 z28 m6 used with 20,000 miles, from the day i bought it the rearend has made a clicking noise everytime I turn left.

Since the car was under warranty, I had the posi carrier replaced with all new bearings throughout the rear diff. After carefull replacement and inspection, my car still makes that noise Well I'm at 80,000 miles now (hard driven miles), the car still makes noise when turning left. Nothing is worn out, and nothing shows witness marks to any future problems. So it just a noise the car makes, and I wont worry about it till it breaks, if it does!!

Also you can replace the posi carrier with perfermance carrier and master iinstall kit yourself for under $600.00

check out:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/content/t...ult.asp?pid=45
    Last edited by ibanez7; 08-25-2005 at 09:03 AM.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by speede
    hi guys...

thanks for any help!

Brad
    My car is doing this too, exactly. 61,800 miles. Started about a month ago. I've got an 01 Z28 A4. Nothing to do with turning the car, just makes noise whenever I drive.

I thought it was brake noise, so I had my rotors, calipers, and pads changed. No difference. I'm about to go have a rear differential service performed. Hopefully that will take care of it for a while. I really don't want to have to rebuild the back end.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog
    My car is doing this too, exactly. 61,800 miles. Started about a month ago. I've got an 01 Z28 A4. Nothing to do with turning the car, just makes noise whenever I drive.

I thought it was brake noise, so I had my rotors, calipers, and pads changed. No difference. I'm about to go have a rear differential service performed. Hopefully that will take care of it for a while. I really don't want to have to rebuild the back end.
    Yeah, the guy at the shop said a rear diff service wouldn't make a difference. I'm going to need to rebuilld or replace the rear end of the car. Does anyone know how long I've got before the gears tear themselves apart?

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

hey man... i think that it be hard to tell.. but let me tell u that two weeks after i got my car i spoon out in the higway... went into the ditch and hit the dip sideways tires came off the rims and the whole deal.. not body damages ( that i know or the mechanich could find).... since that day the car always makes that noise.. and bad.. i know that i need a new rear but since im a student.. and im low on money.. do to other things that come up with my car.. i havent been able to change it.. my z its a daily driver.. its takes me back home every two weeks.. (300 miles away) and its still good... i have put like 18,xxx miles on the car since the accident ( like a year and a half ago) so if something... i would just save up... until there is no choise... thats what i want to do ... but havent had a chance.. i want the 12 bolts... i know i dont need one... but really really would want o have one.. just to have less things to worry about.. i dont know if that helps.. but there it is...

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

If you have any mechanical aptitude to ya, you can replace the axle bearings for about $50ish and a day.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    If you have any mechanical aptitude to ya, you can replace the axle bearings for about $50ish and a day.
    Well, the only tools I have are in a regular household ones. I don't have any specialized car tools. My biggest projects have been installing the car stereo and replacing window motors.

Maroon
    2000 Z28

If your noise is only when you are turning, especially lower speed, I would try adding a bottle (4oz) of friction modifyer. You can get a bottle at the dealer for $3 to $4 or you can buy any aftermarket brand from your favorite auto parts store. If your rear diff has ever been serviced and the modifyer was not added it WILL make the noise you are describing. TRUST ME, I have experienced the same problem. If the noise occurs at higher speeds then you have a bearing or gear problem.

Good luck!

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by aggieweiss
    If your noise is only when you are turning, especially lower speed, I would try adding a bottle (4oz) of friction modifyer. You can get a bottle at the dealer for $3 to $4 or you can buy any aftermarket brand from your favorite auto parts store. If your rear diff has ever been serviced and the modifyer was not added it WILL make the noise you are describing. TRUST ME, I have experienced the same problem. If the noise occurs at higher speeds then you have a bearing or gear problem.

Good luck!
    Yeah, it's got nothing to do with turning the car. The noise is present at any speed once I'm outta first gear. The frequency increases with velocity, so I'm sure it something that needs to be replaced.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Had the same sound, thought it was axle bearings. Took a couple hours to swap out. rented all the tools from a autozone. You just need a rear bearing puller, slide hammer, and master race and seal driver. One of my bearings was toast, and one axle was pitted. That didnt solve the problem. Turned out my pinion bearing had chewed itself to shit. $550 later I had the rear rebuilt in a day and had 3.73 r&p put in.

White
    2001 Z28

Got it fixed today. Took it to a shop that specializes in rear end repairs, rebuilds. Turns out I had bad bearings. They replaced them and I picked the car back up today. No more noise outta the back of the car. Cost me $577 after tax ($400 labor).

pewter
    1999 Z28

axle bearings or wheel bearings?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ZedTwoEight
    axle bearings or wheel bearings?
    Invoice says axle bearings and assembly. Couple seals, pins, and a collar as well.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Mine started to do the same so i pulled it apart and both axles were shot. I bought two new axles from Moser and got all new bearings to put in and did it myself.

Thread Information