Thread: srt-4 haha

sebring silver
    2000 z28

srt-4 haha

Well i just got my new 2000 z28 and knew pretty much nothing about the car. I have been doing all the research and found out all engine specs and what my car should do,well on an internet post the 98 z28 was supposed to run 13.7 in the quarter, well thats not true.

Anyway back to my kill story, I see those neons everywhere. On nite i was cruising aroung in my new used car with 2 girls in the car (extra weight Ha Ha) Well I saw a white srt-4 and he started revving his engine and flew passed me, well i caught up to him and asked if he wanted to run them, Sure enough he did, this care had cold air intake, catback exhaust and a carbon fiber ram air hood, MINE IS BONE STOCK. We line up and i smoked him of the line and kept pulling up to 90mph, Well we pulled over and he said he missed 3rd, so I ran him again smoked him even worse the second time,

I told him nice try, we talked a little and he thought i had the LT1 engine, well i explanned to him that anytime you see a camaro with the newer front end it should have the LS1 engine(98-02)

Latter i ran my stock camaro at the gateway raceway tuesdya nite about 68 degrees 13.5 in the quarter mile @104 mph Oh I ran against a mustang cobra which ran 13.9 @ 107 mph. I am very impressed with this car, I already ordered the slp cold air induction and a 160 degree thermostate, and i will see how much of a difference it will make by running it again, Maby 13.3?

Member since 2001

Pewter
    Pretty odd for one of your first mods to be a 160 thrm?..but anyway the Lid or cai whatever you ordered will give you ten hp and a Catback should be your next mod which will be good for another 10.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

well the thermostate was cheap, since the block and heads are aluminum i thought it would be best to cool it down, yo know cooler temps mean more dense air and less engine fetigue, well i will get the cat-back next with some headers

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
    well the thermostate was cheap, since the block and heads are aluminum i thought it would be best to cool it down, yo know cooler temps mean more dense air and less engine fetigue, well i will get the cat-back next with some headers
    ls1's like to be a little warm...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Spaz
    ls1's like to be a little warm...
    Agreed. I wouln't put a 160 degree thermostat in any newer computer controlled vehicle, all it does is screw things up. The computer may think that the vehicle isn't ever fully warmed up, and therefore keep it in closed loop mode, which means lots of wasted fuel and a less than ideal A/F ratio. It just won't run right.

Lowest I'd go is 180 degrees, and thats still pretty cool for most newer cars.

nice kill

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

nice kill!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you dont want that thing in there during the winter at all, that'd be bad

I raced a srt 4 and I missed third, lol, still had him beat
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

sebring silver
    2000 z28

fan switch?

I guess i get a little worried about the aluminum block , but yeah never thought about the closed loop system, but how about a maual fan switch, when i was at the waiting line at gateway it did top 210 degrees, or ever the ultra z hood or the ss hood that would lower underhood temps and add high speed hp wouldn't it

NBM
    '00 Z28

Don't worry about 210*. It is fine. Mine hovers around 210-220 and runs fine. Don't worry about trying to keep it cool until you've done some real mods like heads, cam, forced induction, etc.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

mods mods mods

ok, well i guess headers and catback are the next mod, my car ran 13.5 @104mph stock, my first mod was the slp cai, i am going to gateway may 1st, my plan is do test every mod as a get it and see the gain on paper, most people talk about power specs from mods but i want to know time difference, i will post every mod, cost and the improvement on this trend.

first mod - slp cold air intake $270 from jegs

future mods to test- 3.73 gears, corvette z06 wheels and tires(extra width&great looks), slp headers with high flow cats, cat back exhaust, slp maf, ls6 intake or maybe fast x , hyperchip tuner, roller rocker arms, and if that doesn't get me into the 11s i will add a cam

i'm sure gears are going to be the biggest bang for buck,

let me know what you all think about my idea of testing every part.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
    ok, well i guess headers and catback are the next mod, my car ran 13.5 @104mph stock, my first mod was the slp cai, i am going to gateway may 1st, my plan is do test every mod as a get it and see the gain on paper, most people talk about power specs from mods but i want to know time difference, i will post every mod, cost and the improvement on this trend.

first mod - slp cold air intake $270 from jegs

future mods to test- 3.73 gears, corvette z06 wheels and tires(extra width&great looks), slp headers with high flow cats, cat back exhaust, slp maf, ls6 intake or maybe fast x , hyperchip tuner, roller rocker arms, and if that doesn't get me into the 11s i will add a cam

i'm sure gears are going to be the biggest bang for buck,

let me know what you all think about my idea of testing every part.
    I like your idea of testing every mod. I'm curious to see the difference in time you'll get with the Z06 wheels and tires. The width will definitely help off the line, but the extra rotating mass prevents you from putting as much power to the ground.

Green Monkey
    Is your car a man-well? If it is I suggest getting a Pro 5.0 shifter or the like as a first mod. It made a big difference for me in getting consistant times at the track, no more shifting from 2nd to 5th. My car is bascially bone stock with my sig's posted times but have done some work to her recently in preparation for the big mods to come. I'm having some work done to the car soon that'll really make her go, I can't wait!

The slp lid will make a better throttle response at speed, I didn't feel anything different at a stop. The headers and exhaust will definitley help, just adding a cutout to mine added 11 rwhp off the dyno.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

no shifter for me

I have the auto, i know some people tell me i should have gotten the stick, when i drag i just put it in drive and it shifts perfect. as far as the zo6 wheels dragging me down, i am putting the skinnier rim on front

17 X 8.5 front
    17 X 9.5 rear

i think this will be my next mod just to see what it will do along with the air lid, before the cai it would hook (decent) in first and scratch in second. Now it wants to spin all the way through first, and still scratch. gateway is a sticky track so i guess we'll see what happends next week.

Thread Information