Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

which cold air intake is better?

all right which one of these would you guys recommend I have a 98 T/A with the ram air WS6 hood and see these two, they are the only ones I am considering, I am partial to the volant one, I believe it would probably make more power, I see the other one you put that duct in front of the radiator and I am not a fan of that, I live in texas and I do not want any overheating issues. So which one do you guys say makes more power
    SLP one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLP-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Volant one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...QQcmdZViewItem

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i have the volant. it made 5 more rwph than a slp aftermarket lid.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

just buy the whole SLP cold air intake system....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

you might want to check out the JAAM Ram Air system also. Similar to the BG ram air system.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i have the volant. it made 5 more rwph than a slp aftermarket lid.
    I love my Volant. Like nhraformula said (5hp over a lid), the seat of pants gain was pretty noticable to me, but I also did a smooth bellows at the same time. It looks badass too, but it can be a hassle to install compared to a lid.

2002 Pontiac CETA M6

I just ordered a Jaam ram air system. Mainly for the ease of installation, but I have always wanted the WS6 hood to be functional, and soon, it will be!

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

my hood has a chamber behind the scoops and it looks like the volant box will seal right up to it creating a true ram air effect, straight into the filters. I would think that would be better than the air coming from under the car up through a duct into the airbox through the filter and then into the engine.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post
    my hood has a chamber behind the scoops and it looks like the volant box will seal right up to it creating a true ram air effect, straight into the filters. I would think that would be better than the air coming from under the car up through a duct into the airbox through the filter and then into the engine.
    Yea, I think all Ws6 hoods have that boxed in area behind the scoops, and the Volant comes with rubber seals to match up to it, creating a prefect seal. The only place for a faulty seal is right in the front, where the box is very small, but I doubt it. My opinion is that I love my Volant, and it works great, but that's not saying that there aren't any other good intakes out there.

Air being slammed in from under the car works well also. It's pretty much the same thing as the functional hood scoops, but it just takes longer for it to reach the filters. I'd be willing to bet that they work better than a lid, but It's just my humble opinion.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Sounds like you found the one you need.....

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

This may be a stupid question, but do you need a ram air hood for the volant cold air to fit properly?? (I just have the regular non ws-6 trans am)

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I found an answer to my own question. If anybody else was wondering about it... apparently the volant is designed for the base Trans Am (non-ram air hood), but from what I've read it fits on both.

triple black
    02 z28 m6

i read an interesting article that brought up the fact that once your hood warms up from the engine it heats up the air that gets rammed in. I dont specifically remember where the article was but if i find it ill post the link.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

I have a Volant system as well. I love it and am glad I got it instead of a lid. The other guys pretty much covered whatever I would say about it besides that.

My 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6... ASC# 1244 ... Born on June 23, 2001

white
    2001 trans am

to john-01ws6er in philly,john i've had 4 stangs in a row was about to try another but couldnt resist the look of a trans am woul like to start improving car from scratch any good shops that will work step by step in philly area

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

I went with the volantand a smooth bellow, I love it and noticed a big difference. I do have the ram air hood, there is a gasket that goes around the edge of the airbox to somewhat seal the box to the hood. The fact is the air that is truly ramming into the filters is from the outside, not under the hood. I will never believe that a metal duct that runs from the bottom of the car up into the filter box and then into the engine could ever compare to this setup. just my 2cent

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

VOLANT!!

And you can find it cheaper. Google it.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

yeah, the going price seems to be 350+ I paid 250 brand new in box, from a seller on ebay. That was cheap enough for me to jump all over it.

i would say volant

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I was looking at my car the other day (regular Trans am... no ram air hood) and under the hood there is a "bump" (for lack of a better word) that stops a clear flow through the holes into the air cleaner. So I can't see how the volant would be a true "cold air" without other mods..... anybody see the same thing? If nobody knows what I'm talking about I can take a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mockler View Post
    I was looking at my car the other day (regular Trans am... no ram air hood) and under the hood there is a "bump" (for lack of a better word) that stops a clear flow through the holes into the air cleaner. So I can't see how the volant would be a true "cold air" without other mods..... anybody see the same thing? If nobody knows what I'm talking about I can take a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.
    You mean the part in the nostrils? That's to keep water from entering in that area; some people remove it without problem with water for a little gain (supposedly) but I've left mine in as it seems to work. It's still a CAI. Most CAIs I've seen on OTHER cars (and installed) go in places like up in the fender well or behind the headlights but in front of the engine bay. They don't usually have a DIRECT shot of air smacking into them but generally COOLER air and keep it away from the engine bay heat. The Volant further seals off the box they are in from a little more engine bay heat, and still gets cooler air from through the hood (even if it does go around that water stop first). It really does work, it just expensive and most people don't want to fork over significantly more cash (as opposed to a lid) for a little more gain and put their money elsewhere. I wanted a CAI though and really liked the Volant and figured if I was going to change around the intake I was going to get the best one I could find regardless of price (to an extent, lol I've seen some stupid high cost "JDM" junk for import cars, talking like $1300 for a short ram intake, stupid). I paid $286.09 for my Volant set up new.

Thread Information