Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Question Question about Oil Change Light

Has anyone ever had the oil change light come on after the oil has been changed? I changed my oil about 600 miles ago and the light just decided to come on. It hadn't come on before I changed my oil, but it seems weird that it would come on after. WTF?? ANy info would be appreciated.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

The light doesn't really do crap honestly, and it doesn't care when you changed your oil, it's mileage based, not oil consistancy based. I change mine every 5k, light or no light. Just reset it and keep on truckin'.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

reset the light by turning on your car 'accessories' but do not start the engine. press and hold the button for about 15 seconds (light will go out) and you are good to go...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Are you talking the oil pressure light? Or the oil change signal?
    Often times you get a bad oil filter with a leaky vavle that causes a drop in OP...

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Are you talking the oil pressure light? Or the oil change signal?
    Often times you get a bad oil filter with a leaky vavle that causes a drop in OP...
    It was the Oil Change Light. I reset it and never looked back.

There needs to be an easy solution like that when the Change Wife light goes off

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by PwnJabi View Post
    There needs to be an easy solution like that when the Change Wife light goes off

Yeah, its called "stay single."

Try it, works like a charm!

Anyone know if the GM oil life system resets itself if the battery is removed, or the PCM is reprogrammed? Mine has only come on once since I bought the car in early '01. Third battery and play with the tune all the time. Just wondering...
    A4(3.42)TA Cover/Nittos/Vig 3200/Corsa Catback/FTRA/BMR Boxed SFC, STB, ACLA, APHR/Predator Custom Tune...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i think so if the battery is disconnected for a while, everything gets reset

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Red Chevy View Post
    Has anyone ever had the oil change light come on after the oil has been changed? I changed my oil about 600 miles ago and the light just decided to come on. It hadn't come on before I changed my oil, but it seems weird that it would come on after. WTF?? ANy info would be appreciated.

Holy shit, my change oil light just came on tonight too during hard acceleration to about 90 mph and went away while sitting at the red light. First time it has done that.

Sure it wasn't "low oil"? Change oil light should only come on for a minute or so when first starting the car when the oil life system thinks you need to change it. Low oil level sensor is in the passenger side of the pan. Since you were accelerating hard and it came on I'd double check the oil level.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The oil life system caculates oil change intervals based on the number of engine revolutions and the temperature of those revolutions. In other words it is trying to base intervals not solely on mileage, but rather engine hours and average engine temperatures. It is a more accurate way of doing this than strictly mileage. It can save you money if you drive right because you can extend your change intervals. If on the other hand you do a lot of short trip stop and go then you will change your oil at about 3,000 mile intervals. Just ignore it if it upsets you-I use mine though. Reset it after changing your oil even if it didn't come on-no it doesn't reset itself automatically with a change. And it shouldn't be coming on after a hard acceleration-you have other issues.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I thought at first it was the low oil warning and quickly got my foot out of the gas but it was definitely the change oil light. When I started her up this morning I had to use the procedure to reset the oil change light. I looked for any oil leaks and checked my oil level several times but it's right where it should be. The oil looked great with about 2500 miles to go to my next scheduled change, scratching my head right now.

Shouldn't come on now, maybe just one of those things that make you go "Hmmmmmm" - like how I manage to get small leaves in my AC/heat blower box under the dash every year????

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

I have checked my ..."OIL CHANGE LIGHT " it generally comes on when u really NEED AN OIL CHANGE.....................IF U are so worried about it,,,,,,u should change ure oily...;..
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

My oil change light was coming on so i checked the oil and i was low about 1 quart. Check your oil just to be safe

Red
    '02 Camaro SS

No one should be relying on a light to tell them when to check the oil. If you know anything about a Chevy 350, they all burn oil, some just quicker than others. I usually check my oil evrytime I get gas which is often with those small ass tanks Chevy put on the cars. I keep it about 1-2mm below the top of the grid, never over.

I have a question for you all. Assuming that driving habits stay the same, if you put cold air induction, LT's, remove the cats and got a tune for your car, will miles per gallon increase? Thanks for any assistance.

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

Yeah only girls rely on the light!

white
    2002 ws6

HEY! i dont rely on the light and im a girl and i do all the oil changes myself. cause its easy so yea. and my mpg didnt really increase i mean it increases when i drive like a granny but i dont think it got worse either.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hopefully he was jokin-otherwise leave the sexist remarks out of it please. In theory you will see a gas mileage increase-but really it has more to do with how and where you drive than any other single factor. IMHO-the oil life system is a good rule of thumb for you to calculate your changes by-but alot of people don't understand it or how to reset it. It seems to cause more confusion than help for some people.

Thread Information