Thread: Converter tune

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Converter tune

Ok im replacing my trans with a Transperformance stage 3 trans which includes a transgo shift kit, and im installing a 3500 stall. Now i hear i need a converter tune. What parameters are changed in a Converter tune. I Own a Predator so i figure i can probly dial it in myself.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

on mine had to raise my in gear idle 100 rpm's or so and move my shift points around a little bit.

Same here, my in gear idle tended to "hunt" at slow speeds like when coming to a stop or in reverse in parking lots, etc. Leave the line pressure alone since you have a shift kit. I also removed torque management.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah i need to reset my shift points, and line pressures. Already had TM turned off.

Thanks for the Info it would come to great use in the next few weeks.

Hello-The shift kit would require setting all the shift times to "0" which takes them out of adaptive learning--Also with the stall it is recc. to set the base line pressures back to stock--you already deleted the TQ Mgmt. & adjusted shift points- Some cars have issues after a stall converter of having the converter NOT locking up and overheating--sometimes it will throw codes and sometmes it won't-but to get rid of all that you need to adjust the misfire tables in the Engine Diagnostic file. What happens is that it will get a false mis-fire code beacause of the converter and go into the "limp mode" In the limp mode you get full line pressure (banging hard shifts) converter won't lock-up & overheats and it will hit the limiter at WOT shifts--Some cars even have to adjust the P.W.M. min/max tables as well

I have a question regarding this also. I am using LS1EDIT, and it allows you to tune the Desired Shift Time for Normal and Performance. I already have the Performance settings at 0, but should the Normal shift times also be at 0?

Thanks,
    Mike

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the car runs off the "normal" table and not the performance table. I also wouldn't zero those tables out. I reduced mine by 50% with edit.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the car runs off the "normal" table and not the performance table. I also wouldn't zero those tables out. I reduced mine by 50% with edit.
    Yeah, I second the "don't zero the times out".... set them to .250 and you will disable the adaptive part and get a fast shift.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymagman View Post
    I have a question regarding this also. I am using LS1EDIT, and it allows you to tune the Desired Shift Time for Normal and Performance. I already have the Performance settings at 0, but should the Normal shift times also be at 0?

Thanks,
    Mike
    If your car has AH or competitive driving mode then this is the performance setting--- in a truck the performance setting is the "tow haul mode"-----I was taught at EFILIVE University to set both to "0"--putting any time at all other than 0 will keep it out of adaptive learning---Was taught to put 0's always with a shift kit---Everyone tunes differently so i can only speak for myself and what i learned and what worked well for me--So far i have never had any issues doing it this way--I may have said it bacwards in my original post-- putting in 0 enables adaptive learning

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    If your car has AH or competitive driving mode then this is the performance setting--- in a truck the performance setting is the "tow haul mode"-----I was taught at EFILIVE University to set both to "0"--putting any time at all other than 0 will keep it out of adaptive learning---Was taught to put 0's always with a shift kit---Everyone tunes differently so i can only speak for myself and what i learned and what worked well for me--So far i have never had any issues doing it this way--I may have said it bacwards in my original post-- putting in 0 enables adaptive learning

No this is backwards, the break point for adaption is actually .500; any lower and it the routines are not run.

Thread Information