Thread: lt1 edit

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

lt1 edit

could someone explain what lt1 edit is and how you can use it? i don't know anything about it aside from the fact that a bunch of people have said i need to use it to do a few of the things i want to do with my car. thanks in advance

red
    95 Z28

It is tuning software, which enables you to put custom perameters into your car's PCM, to tune for heads/cam, boost, etc etc. You're basically changing air/fuel ratio and ignition timing, amongst some other things. It IS NOT for amateurs. You have to know what you're doing, otherwise you could damage your engine.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It is tuning software, which enables you to put custom perameters into your car's PCM, to tune for heads/cam, boost, etc etc. You're basically changing air/fuel ratio and ignition timing, amongst some other things. It IS NOT for amateurs. You have to know what you're doing, otherwise you could damage your engine.
    well i understand the tuning itself but that's because i have worked with carbs alot before. i just don't know what i would need to use lt1 edit. is there a cable for interface that i would need? where could i get the software?

red
    95 Z28

You can find the software and cables for your laptop on the net. And tuning carbs is not tuning a modern PCM. Whole new ballgame. You'll still want an experienced shop to do the tuning.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You can find the software and cables for your laptop on the net. And tuning carbs is not tuning a modern PCM. Whole new ballgame. You'll still want an experienced shop to do the tuning.
    i wouldn't do it alone but there aren't any good shops to get tuning done at around here that i know about

Just out of curiousity, what kind of damage can you do? We know the effects of too lean or too rich... I guess you could jack the timing up if you went way out of specs, or could you? And if you could, then what would happen?

Would be like a black hole in space where it sucks all surrounding stars into itself and destroys galaxies and the end of earth as we know it?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Just out of curiousity, what kind of damage can you do? We know the effects of too lean or too rich... I guess you could jack the timing up if you went way out of specs, or could you? And if you could, then what would happen?

Would be like a black hole in space where it sucks all surrounding stars into itself and destroys galaxies and the end of earth as we know it?

You can permanently damage your engine, to the point of needing a rebuild in the worst case scenario. Is that bad enough for you?

pm me and I can tell you where to find helpful info.

mods: sorry, I didn't know helpful links elsewhere were hitting the bit bucket.
    Last edited by 954mula; 01-12-2008 at 07:56 PM.

If you have a backround and basic knowledge of tuning the older stuff,,,then you can tune with software using key strokes.

The concept and ideas are the same,,,the engines respond in much the same way as the old school stuff,,,,you just have to figure out which tables do what and how they interact with each other....thats the biggest obstacle for me.

I have tuned carbs for 30 years, still do,,,but just recently jumped into tuning my LS1 with software,,,,and I hate computers,,,if I can do it anyone can. It takes alot of reading,,,slow progress, small changes, etc....and you get more comfortable with it.

Not to mention the huge benefit of being able to data log, diagnose any problems, codes, monitor engine functions, etc....makes it a worthwhile addition in my opinion alone that every 4th gen owner should have.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Never used LT1 Edit. I use Tunercat and like it very much. What are your plans for your car that makes people say you need it? If you are only doing bolt on mods mail order tunes are much more affordable then buying tuning software and hardware.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    Never used LT1 Edit. I use Tunercat and like it very much. What are your plans for your car that makes people say you need it? If you are only doing bolt on mods mail order tunes are much more affordable then buying tuning software and hardware.
    +1, I have tunercat as well!

Does anyone use the newwe USB cables from AMK?

Are they as stable as the old model serial port cables?

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    well i'm planning on doing heads, cam, intake, and alot of things with the valvetrain this summer. im doing valvetrain work in the next couple weeks actually. 1.6 roller rockers and conical valve springs. with that i wanted to make changes with the shift points to make it act the way i want it with those changes.

If I'm not mistaken I beleive tunercat sold out to another company,,,and the prices for the software have doubled now. I would have liked to jump into it before that happened but now it seems the prices are a little high. But I believe Moates is a good place to find what you need. He even still carried software to tune my old Iroc (chip burning) and he was great to deal with.

I sure wish HPtuner would support LT1's,,,I have it for my LS1 and love it so far, very easy to use,,,and as I said before,,,,,,there is much more to this software than just tuning a few things on the car,,,,,just being able to monitor engine/trans functions, diagnos codes properly etc....is worth the price alone. It seems to me to be so vital to have,,,,it should have been included with every sale of a new 4th gen,,,,lol.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If I'm not mistaken I beleive tunercat sold out to another company,,,and the prices for the software have doubled now. I would have liked to jump into it before that happened but now it seems the prices are a little high. But I believe Moates is a good place to find what you need. He even still carried software to tune my old Iroc (chip burning) and he was great to deal with.

I sure wish HPtuner would support LT1's,,,I have it for my LS1 and love it so far, very easy to use,,,and as I said before,,,,,,there is much more to this software than just tuning a few things on the car,,,,,just being able to monitor engine/trans functions, diagnos codes properly etc....is worth the price alone. It seems to me to be so vital to have,,,,it should have been included with every sale of a new 4th gen,,,,lol.

He sold the OBD2 software package which then tripled in price.

As long as you own a 94-95 or run a OBD1 conversion you can still get the software from him.

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    He sold the OBD2 software package which then tripled in price.

As long as you own a 94-95 or run a OBD1 conversion you can still get the software from him.
    Aha,,that makes sense,,,,since the other 4th gen I have is a 97 it's OBD II,,,,that sucks indeed.

Thread Information