Pewter
    01 Camaro LS1

'01 Camaro - Mod Help

I've never worked on my car or any car before but am looking to start. Im looking for something I would be able to do that would not cost too much money (500-600 dollars). I just completed my junior year as a Mechanical engineer so I do have general knowledge to help me out. One of my friends suggested that an easy and relatively cheap way to add horsepower would be to do a cam swap, so thats where im looking at the moment. My car is a 2001 Camaro with about 65000 miles. Im open for any tips to help me out with what im trying to do, or even alternative suggestions besides a cam swap. Thanks!

Black
    2000 Z-28

If you car is bone stock I'd start w/ some intake and exhaust modifications before you start doing internal motor work. Is your car an auto or manual? What are your goals for the car? I see this is your first post so welcome to the site!

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by hewjas00 View Post
    I've never worked on my car or any car before but am looking to start. Im looking for something I would be able to do that would not cost too much money (500-600 dollars). I just completed my junior year as a Mechanical engineer so I do have general knowledge to help me out. One of my friends suggested that an easy and relatively cheap way to add horsepower would be to do a cam swap, so thats where im looking at the moment. My car is a 2001 Camaro with about 65000 miles. Im open for any tips to help me out with what im trying to do, or even alternative suggestions besides a cam swap. Thanks!
    If you're looking to only spend about 5-600 bucks, I would look to do some bolt on's first. For example headers, lid, mounts, get your throttle body ported and polished. If you're looking to eventually put a cam in the car, you're going to need some of those supporting mods first (depending on how big a cam you want). A cam swap is pretty advanced for someone that hasn't worked on their car before, i'd suggest to start small. Just my .02

Pewter
    01 Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    If you car is bone stock I'd start w/ some intake and exhaust modifications before you start doing internal motor work. Is your car an auto or manual? What are your goals for the car? I see this is your first post so welcome to the site!
    Thanks for the welcome. I basically have some spare time this summer and would like to spend it getting more familiar with my car by working on it a bit. Id like what I do to have a noticable impact on performance but realize that might have to come with time, especially with financial limitations. My car is a manual six speed and had a Borla exhaust system installed before I got it. What other mods do you suggest I do first?

blue
    2000 ls1 firebird

headers and exhaust is the best way to start!!!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by hewjas00 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I basically have some spare time this summer and would like to spend it getting more familiar with my car by working on it a bit. Id like what I do to have a noticable impact on performance but realize that might have to come with time, especially with financial limitations. My car is a manual six speed and had a Borla exhaust system installed before I got it. What other mods do you suggest I do first?
    That's good that you already have a catback. To complete the exhaust I'd get a set of longtube headers (I prefer stainless steel but they're more expensive) and offroad y pipe depending on your state's emissions. On the intake side, I'd get a fast toys ram air, lid, ported throttle body. That should be a good start and make your car pretty damn quick.

Thread Information