Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ram air....RAM AIR

i was bs'n with a local the other day, he didn't know much about cars but when i said i had a trans am with the ram air package, he was like 'OH GOD DAMN, THAT'S A BAD ASS UPGRADE!" and i said "it's just a hood scoop" to which he told me a story of his friend who had a 197x camaro with a ram air 'switch' and the hood scoop would actually open and the car became significantly more powerful. I can't figure out what the hell he's talking about?! He made it sound like the guy was engaging nitrous...

what's he talking about here?

NBM
    99 TA

correct me if im wrong.... but im gonna say the guy doesnt know what the heck he is talking about...

sounds like he is getting confused with a cutout or something?

1966 Corvette Coupe

didn't old mopars have an air grabber option that is pretty much exactly what you are talking about? i beleive it was vacuum controlled.

-me

cowl induction i bet, no switch

1966 Corvette Coupe

wait a sec... i want to say that one ove my buds had like a late 70's camaro... and its had i dont think ram air... might have been like a flap for cowl induction, but i could swear it was switch opperated...

-me

Maybe since he doesn't know much about cars he is confusing it with a blower? Have you seen that car wash commercial that has a car behind the Ferrari looking car and then all of a sudden the blower intake opens and the car passes the Ferrari looking car. Then the commerical says
    "Finally car wash technology has caught up with car technology.. OR some BS like that. Its a commerical promoting the new car was pack that needs no hand drying.

Pewter
    1999 Z28

In the late 70's the camaro had a vacum opperated "flap" at the back of the hood scoop that would open up to help air vent from under the hood... I think. I know a guy that hadone. Thats all I can remember bout it though. But they did have kinda scoop. Hope that helps.

black
    2002 WS6

During the Muscle car wars of the the early to mid 70's the cowel induction set up was used in the upper level cars and came as an option in the lower levels. Some were switch operated some were vacuum operated( the harder you got on the gas the more it opened). The different companies had differant names mopar had the "Air Grabber", Chevy had "Cowel Induction" and Pontiac had "Ram Air". Back in the day they were actual sealed units, either via a hood scoop or better known as the "shaker scoop" or the air box was sealed to ports in the hood. A little bit of history the "Ram Air" label was used as far back as the early sixties to differentait between the regular 455 and the high out put version.

candy red
    98 Camaro Z28

The late 70's camaro had some sort of computer thing that would allow the flap on the hood to open whenever you went full throttle.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that all makes sense...i bet the guy's ignorance really swayed his ability to describe it...man it was funny though b/c he kept saying 'YEAH THAT RAM AIR IS BIG HORSE POWER!" i just thought to myself "it's just a hood scoop"

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

yeah its just a hood scoop.lets in fresh air ,instead of that old stale air under the hood.i had an 80 z28,air induction,breather sealed to the hood,switch on the carb linkage.you could definitely tell when it opened,vs.,just having a chrome breather on instead.pretty nice setup,no blower or nitrous effect though,maybe 15 hp.nothing on the always open ram air,but would help w/ gas mileage when closed.he sounds like maybe grandma you know-oh she'll tote the mail(lol),but probably lost.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    cowl induction i bet, no switch
    exactly

Thread Information