Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Conv

2004 GTO Rear End in 2000 T/A WS6

2004 GTO Rear End in 2000 T/A WS6

Is this possible? Has anyone done this?

I need to rebuild my rear end. I was going to put in Motive 4.10's with Superior Axles. Then I thought wow the GTO's have independent suspension and a Dana rear end why couldn't I just do that?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

In this world....anything is possible.....just depends on how much you're willing to spend.....let me know if you get this done.....would like to see how it turned out..

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by sbaum2000
    Then I thought wow the GTO's have independent suspension and a Dana rear end why couldn't I just do that?
    Because it's a completely different chassis?

Now, mind you, anything is possible with enough money. But. Just looking at the picture...where the heck would you mount that thing to? You'd be fabricating mounts and braces. It's not just held in place by a torque arm like an f-body... The springs won't sit in the correct place. Where is the shock going to go? It bolts to the rear axle in a solid car, but is macpherson type in a gto, so now you need provisions for that as well (which seems impossible because the area where it would go is hollow?)

I would have to say it is nearly impossible. And if it were possible, I'd say you should have just spent the money on a solid, proven 12 bolt or 9 inch.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I like an original thinker-but what would be the point. It's a heavier set-up than the stock f-body,and prone to wheel hop issues. As stated-a 12 bolt or 9 inch would be stronger and bolt in. F-bodies handle very well in the right hands,maybe not as well in uneven surfaces but I can live with that. A skilled fabricator suspension expert would be able to fab a better suspension than the GTO if you wanted to go to that much trouble and expense. Or just go buy a GTO if that's what you've got to have for a rear suspension. One last thought-what are the measurements on the GTO suspension width vs. F-body? Could you just do that? I think if you have to ask-the answer is NO.

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

I would love to have IRS in my SS. I've seen pics of a vette IRS in a Fbody a while back but it looked to be kind of a hack job. I don't think it would be that hard really, expensive yes though. If they can put IRS in sixties Camaros and Mustangs it wouldn't be impossible. Look at the number of hot rods with IRS. I know most on this site are in to 1/4 mile performance where a straight axle is clearly best but when it comes to a cutting corners they suck. The best setup live axle in the real world where the streets have bumps won't come close the performance of a well setup IRS.

Thread Information