555jlj

Easy mods for my 04 GTO (Tips & Ideas)???

Hello, I am think of doing some easy mods to my 04 GTO, and was wondering if anyone out there has any experiance with some of the different options I have.

1. Looking @ the 106 degree thermostat verses the stock 190 degree one. Says it increases power, but does it really?

2. K&N AirCharger System says it has reported 15 to 20hp increases. Has anyone done this upgrade and does it really make that much difference.

3. DiabloSport Predator PCM Programmer seems expensive so I am just wondering if it is really worth it. It does not give an estimate for potential power gain, but if it truely adjusts the things it says it does, it would be worth it. Has anyone done the upgrade and had good results?

4. Finally is there anything else I can do that I have not mentioned that will be easy yet effective.

Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 555jlj
    Hello, I am think of doing some easy mods to my 04 GTO, and was wondering if anyone out there has any experiance with some of the different options I have.

1. Looking @ the 106 degree thermostat verses the stock 190 degree one. Says it increases power, but does it really?

2. K&N AirCharger System says it has reported 15 to 20hp increases. Has anyone done this upgrade and does it really make that much difference.

3. DiabloSport Predator PCM Programmer seems expensive so I am just wondering if it is really worth it. It does not give an estimate for potential power gain, but if it truely adjusts the things it says it does, it would be worth it. Has anyone done the upgrade and had good results?

4. Finally is there anything else I can do that I have not mentioned that will be easy yet effective.

Thanks
    Well Im puttin down over 600 to the wheels.... let me preface my answers with that.....
    1. Hell no!!!!!
    2. You spool faster and is a prerequisite to future mods...as for gains strcitly from a CAI...I dunno....yes you gain RPM's faster therefore you get into your RWHP "sweetspot" faster.......good mod.....
    3.Fuck handhelds man...bullshit...get a dyno tune....
    4.yup. LT headers......dyno tune.....for starters.....cam/heads......

555jlj
    Thanks for those tips Sarge.

What exactly is a dyno tune?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

A dyno tune is the process of a qualified LS1 tuner putting your car up on a dyno machine to simulate real world activity...thus allowing him/her to optimize your tune during actual "rolling" acceleration etc.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Thanks
    1. You could. You can still run stock programming as you'll still enable closed loop. You might need a retune though as you can end up running a little richer. Didn't happen to me but has to some.

2. Anything to get more air in helps

3. Get a custom tune. For about the same price, its world's better as its done to your specific car. And you'll pick up more power anyway.

4. Long tubes are almost the biggest gain for bolt ons. Cat backs don't gain much but if you are after a sound, then go for it. Converter if you have an A4. Amazing what they can do!
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

555jlj
    If I get a dyno custom tune, will my car still pass the state required emmisions test every 4 years?

If not, can I simply go back and get it re-tuned back to stock right before I get an emmisions test?

Can I just look in my local phone book at mechanics that say they can do computer diagnostics, or what specifically do I need to know if somebody is qualified to dyno-tune my LS1?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

1. Yup...actual emmisions will be lower after the tune....your ride came from the factory pig ass rich man....
    2. See above...
    3. Find dyno tuner here...
    http://www.smokemup.com/utils/dynosearch.php

Steel Chicken

it will add 3-5 hp, but its not a good idea. car pulls timing below 180deg. just set your fans to come on at lower temps.

They are lying. The car will sound and run better, but maybe 5hp only.

No, go spend a little more and get a full blown tuner setup, like HPtuners. You can do MUCH more with it.

Thanks
    LT's, CAI and a tune will give good results, without destroying driveability and gas mileage. In fact, your mileage will go up.

jrost
    Be careful if you increase your red line and have a short shifter that you dont miss fifth and hit third. You will screw up your engine. My buddy knows a couple of people who have done that

Phantom Black
    2004 GTO

I have done Long Tube Headers, a full catback, CAI, Ported throttle body, TB bypass, and a dyno tune. The long tubes and a good dyno tune will give you a nice gain. All the others may equal a little more HP but they all compliment the headers and each other nicely.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Another easy mod that provides actual real world results with your 04 and your CAI is to relocate your IAT.....

I got the harness and IAT sensor from NAPA for like $12 bucks... ( ask for the IAT harness and sensor for the 04 Vette) ...the results are consistent reads/less heat soak issues......
    I got the little KN style filter from AutoZone for about $10 bucks....the IAT pops right into the thing perfect.....I trimmed a little of the rubber stuff off of it.....then zip tied it directly above my KN filter....I have a RK Sports hood that routes air directly on top of the filter so that is where I put the IAT.....you can mount the filter/IAT behind your headlight to get the real world air temps as they go into your Air Filter......easy cheap and a good mod for any 04....
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-14-2006 at 05:18 AM.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

txcosmos
    Hey Sarge, don't forget about the TB bypass

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

True.....That is a good mod.....grinding the throttle stop is also

Red / White
    05 C6 & 98 T/A

Sarge, you forgot to tell him how much HP / TQ the stickers add. Easy mod there!

I know this is from a different thread, but looking at your motor, I don't think you would really be able to tell if the motor is Pontiac blue or GM Black.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Apostle
    Sarge, you forgot to tell him how much HP / TQ the stickers add. Easy mod there!

I know this is from a different thread, but looking at your motor, I don't think you would really be able to tell if the motor is Pontiac blue or GM Black.
    Hahaha ...yeah...hey give me something for free and I will put your "decal" in the engine bay baby...all day long.....no decals on the outside though!

Thread Information