PEWTER
    1999 CAMARO SS

missing 1-2 shift???

Help I am having a issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd when running hard, otherwise it shifts good. Car is a 99 ss with a m6 and factory hurst shifter with a short stick. It seens to hang up and not go into gear. Any help would be great thanks.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

welcome -- I haven't gotten one yet, but everyone Swears by the Pro 5.0 shift kit on this site.

I am not sure for you though, it sounds like you may actually have a problem with the car.

ya think ?
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by sslarry View Post
    Help I am having a issue when shifting between 1st and 2nd when running hard, otherwise it shifts good. Car is a 99 ss with a m6 and factory hurst shifter with a short stick. It seens to hang up and not go into gear. Any help would be great thanks.
    I'm curios to hear the answer to this question as well. Every now and then it will happen to me (usually on the 2-3 shift) where it won't go into gear, so I have to let off the clutch and do it again.

PEWTER
    1999 CAMARO SS

I think it is a shifter issue I will be looking for a different shifter in the next week or two, possibly a Pro 5 , as it seems to have a good following. The trans works perfect as long as you are not hammering it.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I'm curios to hear the answer to this question as well. Every now and then it will happen to me (usually on the 2-3 shift) where it won't go into gear, so I have to let off the clutch and do it again.
    Im curious do you have the drill mod done? If not that would cause ur trouble with the 2-3rd shift b/c of the fabulous GM inline restriction. Also maybe i didnt read good enough but all posting to this have the skip shift from 1-2nd eliminated correct?

Red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Im curious do you have the drill mod done? If not that would cause ur trouble with the 2-3rd shift b/c of the fabulous GM inline restriction. Also maybe i didnt read good enough but all posting to this have the skip shift from 1-2nd eliminated correct?
    I agree, sounds like a hudraulic problem. Do the drill mod.

black

I havent got an answer for this problem, but i would like to eliminate the skip shift from my 2001

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackmore View Post
    I havent got an answer for this problem, but i would like to eliminate the skip shift from my 2001
    You can look up a search for a skip shift eliminator, its just a small plug in harness that u can get for pretty cheap. You just disconnect the plug on the solenoid for the 1-2 shift next to the tranny and plug in your harness and make sure before doin all this you disconnect your battery to let the computer reset when your done. Just plug n play basically.

black

Thanks Miller 456. I will give that a try.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackmore View Post
    Thanks Miller 456. I will give that a try.
    Sure no problem just glad i could help someone for once usually im askin questions. Let me know how it goes i know how annoying going from 1st to
    4th can be.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am convertible

Follow this: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm

I did it the other day and it is great. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but after double checking the install guide they didn't mention it so I didn't. It turned out fine.

The only thing that sucks is that I subconsciously anticipate having to shift to fourth sometimes. My brain will get over that eventually though.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by John Ceta View Post
    Follow this: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...adio_shack.htm

I did it the other day and it is great. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but after double checking the install guide they didn't mention it so I didn't. It turned out fine.

The only thing that sucks is that I subconsciously anticipate having to shift to fourth sometimes. My brain will get over that eventually though.
    i know how u feel there, yea i didnt disconnet my battery either and all was fine just recommend it cuz sometimes the computer wont reset and i didnt want to leave any steps out. Do you have the drill mod done also?

black, and black
    04 M6

drill mod

whats the drill mod

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    whats the drill mod
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

go to that website and search the drill mod. Basically if u notice when shifting at higher rpms from 2-3 theres a solenoid that blocks off 3rd gear to help save the tranny. Its a GM inline restriction, all you really do is take the hose connecting to ur master cylinder and drill out the inline restriction with a small bit and eliminate GMs great idea. If you go to that website you can get better details and pics and also other free mods.

black, and black
    04 M6

link

ok thanks for teh reply but that link doesnt work lol ive never noticed a problem doing high 2-3 rpm shifts

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    ok thanks for teh reply but that link doesnt work lol ive never noticed a problem doing high 2-3 rpm shifts
    The link works, just dont add all the junk after .com just type in www.installuniversity.com and ull get to the right site.

tan
    99 TA

i dont think its a hydraulic problem, it sounds more like a syncronizer in the transmission is going bad. if i had to bet on it thats what i would put my money on.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

go to that website and search the drill mod. Basically if u notice when shifting at higher rpms from 2-3 theres a solenoid that blocks off 3rd gear to help save the tranny. Its a GM inline restriction, all you really do is take the hose connecting to ur master cylinder and drill out the inline restriction with a small bit and eliminate GMs great idea. If you go to that website you can get better details and pics and also other free mods.

a lot of people say that, about the high RPM shifting gets blocked by the restriction, but I would have to disagree. My mechanic is totally against it. Not to mention I shift mine at 6500 RPMs all the time 1-4 with factory hydraulics no problems.

as far as the miss shifts; did you ensure your shifter is secure on top the tranny, had a friend that would miss 2nd all the time at the track, turns out he forgot to torque down the shifter...D'oh. could be a bad synchro, but I would think it would do it during normal driving also, at least occassionally. I would lean more toward a clutch problem or a skip shift problem. When you get on it and can't put it in 2nd can you put it in 3rd instead? But either way let us know what you find.

Thread Information