Red
    1998 C5 Corvette

Hpp3 Non-rfg Tuning?

I got a HHP3 and while programming my car it asked for NON-RFG or RFG tuning, what does RFG mean it doesn't tell me in the instructions.

Thanks for the help!

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

All I can guess is that it is the Regular Fuel Grade tuning one tune is for Low octane and the other is for 91 and up. I don't remmember if that is the wording that they used on mine before it bit the dust. But take it to a shop and do a Dyno pull with the wideband O2 attached and look at the fuel curve with it on. A lot of cars run too lean with the power tune and to tell you the truth it was the worst money I ever spent on the car. I lost about 4rwhp with it on and the unit died withing a year After I had it. Because I bought it used Hypertech said that I was out of luck and that if I wanted to untuned my car (I used it to adjust shift points on my wife's Z28) to take it to a dealer and pay them to reset my computer.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I'm w/Killer_bluebird on this. i had the HPP III on my car and he told me for shits to detune it back to stock. I did 2 dyno runs, the 1st being w/the HPP III and i ran lean. I had more HP but less TQ. Second run i de-tuned back to stock and i only lost 2HP but i gain 2 ft/lbs of TQ. on the de-tuned run i reached peak HP and TQ fast and had more power across the entire rpm band compared to using the HPP III. Sell it for what you can and invest the money in something else. hope this helps.

if you want to see check out the thread: Post Your Dyno Numbers, in the Dyno section post.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Red
    1998 C5 Corvette

thanks for the advise, I put my car back to stock and I'm looking for other mods. now. Thanks

for sale HPP3

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Well first off you cant just listen to what someone elses car has done. For instance he only has a catback exhaust but if you had full long tube headers, y pipe and exhaust especially without o2 sensors then your car while automaticall run a rich condition. A real lean condition can cause detonation or a rich condition can cause carbon build up as well as loss of horsepower. My car used to run very rich.. now I keep the power programmer for when im not at the track to lean her out and get much better gas mileage. Another common misconception is that RFG is just for regular pump gas.. you dont really ever wanna use the tuner on regular gas because of the fact that it will lean you out and advance your timing so you always wanna use premium. RFG stands for Reformulated Gas which is what pump gas is now in alot of locations. Reformulated gas has a certain oxygen content in it and it supposed to be more emissions friendly if I remember correctly but it is bad on high performance engines when modded. The Non RFG tune is just a more aggressive tune designed for older day gas and will lean you out more and advance your timing more. now it would be ok to run the NON RFG if you were using some type of octane booster or race gas.. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by juiced99ws6; 05-05-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

From Hypertech:

Do You Know What You're Pumping Into Your Vehicle?
    For the purposes of improved air quality, availability of Reformulated gas (RFG) is being required in some parts of the country. Hypertech is including Power Tuning for select vehicles using this gasoline, sometimes called "oxygenated fuel". We encourage our customers to identify the type of gasoline being used and select the Hypertech Power Tuning accordingly.

Thread Information