Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Poor Monsoon Radio Reception

Is there anything I can do about my awful radio signal reception??

My 01 Grand Am and 05 Trailblazer can pick up AM & FM stations a lot better than my 01 Z28 can. Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem???

Black
    99 Z28

check the antenna connections both at the back of the radio and at the antenna (take out the spare tire)

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

It may just be your car actually. I have a 01 z28 and my girlfriend has 03 Grand Am. Both with monsoon systems. Hers always picks up stations a lot better than mine. I can't figure out why. I went thru checking all the connections and stuff myself. Everything is fine that I can find. Kinda glad you made this post, makes me feel better haha. Pretty ironic tho we were both comparing our radios to one in a Grand Am.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I've notice poor reception at times with my car-they do make an antenna booster that we could try.Try Radio Shack for cheaper stuff.

Red
    2001, Z28

The aerodynamics of the Camaro are interfering with radio waves causing some to bounce back and only allowing limited amounts of radio waves for the antenna to pick up. No I’m not a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Vega
    The aerodynamics of the Camaro are interfering with radio waves causing some to bounce back and only allowing limited amounts of radio waves for the antenna to pick up. No I’m not a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

NOW THAT'S JUST PURE GENIOUS!!!!

Actually, the connection at the back of the radio seemed to be loose. Well, I can't really say for sure if it was loose or not but after I fiddled around back there The reception improved quite a bit.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Sweet, Maybe I should check everything on mine again. Perhaps I overlooked something. Glad you got it back up to snuff.

Black
    2004 Z06

hee hee .. I like smartass stuff on the forums !

BlackHawk T/A
    Noticed the same thing when I traded in my 99 GP GT. Same AC Delco system but - I could pick up my favorite radio station way down the interstate for about an hour and a half. In the T/A on the way back from the dealer I couldn't pick up anything but static until I was within a half hour from home again. Also noticed around town its not quite as strong as the one in the Grand Prix (those don't have an antennae, it must be in the windshield or something).

Red
    1997 Camaro RS

well why doesnt it work when the car is parked ?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 3800rs
    well why doesnt it work when the car is parked ?
    cause there's always a wind blowin

BAMF

Black
    2002 WS6

It still does it with my Clarion head unit so it's gotta just be somethin with our cars. I do love the fact that when a CD is playing, the antanna goes down now instead of staying up when on like the monsoon

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Now that is interesting-it's not the Monsoon.Has any one tried an antenna booster? I don't have the power antenna-one of the few accessories my car doesn't have.

S.O.M
    2001 Firebird

it could also be the antenna. I have problems with mine sometimes having some static.. I turn the radio off (commanding the antenna back down) and then turn it on, and when the antenna comes back up, the reception is better.

so you could have an antenna problem or it could also be the cable itself has something breaking down a bit and causing some interference.

go to radio shack, buy another antenna, plug it in and see what the reception is like. if it's no better, take the antenna back.

I think in general, the non-motorized antennas are better with reception, but that's just my observation.

Black
    99 Z28

Just wondering, did you check the connection of the wire to the antenna at the back of the car or just replace the head unit?

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jimmypop13
    It still does it with my Clarion head unit so it's gotta just be somethin with our cars. I do love the fact that when a CD is playing, the antanna goes down now instead of staying up when on like the monsoon
    Nice!! Wish my Pioneer did that . But I switched over to Sat. and have been very happy with it! Don't need the antenna any more. But it goes up anyway when the power comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by still-asleep
    I think in general, the non-motorized antennas are better with reception, but that's just my observation.
    Not true. My car came factory with a standard antenna, but I purchased a powered aftermarket one to replace it and the reception was much better.

Rob

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    Nice!! Wish my Pioneer did that . But I switched over to Sat. and have been very happy with it! Don't need the antenna any more. But it goes up anyway when the power comes on.

Rob
    It's pretty easy to wire in a simple switch to cut the power to the antenna so it comes up only when the switch is on.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse
    It's pretty easy to wire in a simple switch to cut the power to the antenna so it comes up only when the switch is on.
    Yeah I know, but I'm lazy and would prefer my stereo to do it for me .

Rob

red
    04 pontiac gto

get a satelite radio either xm or sirius i prefer sirius but that will solve your problem

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Try cleaning the antenna itself. At times, the sections make a poor connection with each other, which reduces the effective length of the shaft. Avoid using lubricants on the antenna; WD-40 & silicone, for example, will reduce conductivity between the sections.

Thread Information