RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Angry No start problem: No crank

Hey dudes I need your help.. I have an '02 camaro and it has about 53,000 miles on it.. Okay so here what happens. In the moring time or after it has been sitting outside for a couple of hours. My car won't start. I doesn't crank or nothing just the lights come on. After playing with the ignition switch (cycling) back and forth it fired up.. I had the starting system test with a handheld tester. It said the battery was okay and the alt and starter are working fine. So now I think its either the ignition switch or a loose connection somewhere. I did a little searching on here and some people had a similar problem.. they said its the ignition switch. But for a car only have 53K I can't imagine it being that.. well post your replay asap.. So I can get this headache over with.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Could be the starter. Sometimes they can get a "dead spot". Next time you go to start it try and tap it with a rubber mallet while someone is trying to turn it over. If I were you, I would just pull the starter and have someone like autozone or whoever to test it before I would pull the colum apart to replace the switch.

If it is indeed your ignition switch it's an easy fix. No need to take the column apart,,,,the actually electrical part of the switch should be mounted on top of the column under the dash.

They are also adjustable,,,I would check to make sure it hasn't moved, sometimes an adjustment will cure the problem. Also could be the neutral safety switch as well.

You didn't mention whether a manual or auto. If manual there will be a neutral safety switch on the clutch pedel. Auto should have something either on the column or on the shifter inside the console,,,,would have to research the GM manual to be sure.

I have noticed on my 6 speed car it does the same thing on occassion,,,and if I push a little harder on the clutch pedal the ignition switch suddenly comes to life. Soon it will be time for a neutral safety switch on this car, or a minor adjustment.

Just some things to check.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Yeah its a M6... I was thinking about that switch too.. but I'm still not sure.. I also replace the starter relay.. And it still doing the same thing.. I'm gonna replace the ignition relay and try that out.. If it fires up okay for a couple of days then thats the prob.. But I highly doubt that it will be.. I'm still thinking starter or ignition switch or neutral switch.. does anyone have electrical specs for the neutral switch, starter, and ignition switch. Like the volts and ohm its post to have?
    Last edited by WARP211; 12-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.

red
    1965 chevelle 2drht ss

no start

You also might want to see if your security light stays on when you are trying to start it, it may be a vats issue.Your voltage should be normal ignition voltage 9.6 to 12 volts.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Yeah I check the sercurity light yesterday.. when I tired to start it and it came on at first when i put the key in, But after a couple of seconds it turn off.. So I know its not VATS.. My sense's is telling me starter all the way now.. So I'm gonna take off my starter and have it tested at autozone or a kargen.. I keep you guys inform on what happens dudes..

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

okay.. so I just change my starter and my problem seem to have went away.. I'll keep you guys inform in the next couple days to make sure the problem doesn't still exist.

blk
    2002 Z2835th anniv

I had that same problem with my 02z. I put a new ignition switch in, I tried the VATS trick, and I changed out some ignition part at the bottom of the steering column. I got the some problem 600.00 later. Now my car cuts off when it gets ready. I was leaving Orlando,FL a week ago, I got on the Turnpike running 90mph pitch dark meand my baby girl. My car cut off, it just died I had to reset the computer 3 times. We need to complain to Chevrolet.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier1 View Post
    I had that same problem with my 02z. I put a new ignition switch in, I tried the VATS trick, and I changed out some ignition part at the bottom of the steering column. I got the some problem 600.00 later. Now my car cuts off when it gets ready. I was leaving Orlando,FL a week ago, I got on the Turnpike running 90mph pitch dark meand my baby girl. My car cut off, it just died I had to reset the computer 3 times. We need to complain to Chevrolet.
    sounds like a loose or broken wire to me

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

it ended up being the starter... its been nearly a month or two since i las wrote on here.. Just keepin you folks updated.. aight.. peace..

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Thats interesting... Im having the same problem, car wont crank but all the lights come on... I think i may try the starter now... Thanks for the info.

black
    00 camaro Z28

so if the security light keeps blinking its more than likely to be the vats than anything else?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ricefordiner View Post
    so if the security light keeps blinking its more than likely to be the vats than anything else?
    yeah, if your security light is on or blinking it's a vats issue.

black
    00 camaro Z28

hey guy i just tried bypassing the security system with a risistor that matches the one on my key , and it didint work any other options ?

Thread Information