White
    2001 SS #3504

Question quick shock question on SS's

Ok here is a pic of the shocks that are on my 01 ss. are these the stock shocks for the SS's? for some reason i was thinking it should have Bilstiens on it. the front and rear are the same brand. Just curious.

White
    2001 Z28

Those are stock shocks. Only the optional suspensions had Bilstein's (and some had Koni's). Base Suspension SS's and WS6's have DeCarbon's only.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Those are stock shocks. Only the optional suspensions had Bilstein's (and some had Koni's). Base Suspension SS's and WS6's have DeCarbon's only.
    Thanks.... Is there a big differance in these and the others you mentioned?

White
    2001 Z28

The short answer is yes. But there are conditions. Not all "Bilstein's" are the same as what would have come on an optional SS suspension. Koni's are beyond any of the Bilstein's.

What are you looking to change about how the car ride and/or drives? I prefer more damping and more control than the DeCarbons' and most Bilstein's give. You might not be looking for that.

White
    2001 SS #3504

The short answer is yes. But there are conditions. Not all "Bilstein's" are the same as what would have come on an optional SS suspension. Koni's are beyond any of the Bilstein's.

What are you looking to change about how the car ride and/or drives? I prefer more damping and more control than the DeCarbons' and most Bilstein's give. You might not be looking for that.
    well this is my wifes car and from the time we bought it she has complained about how it handles in the curves. For starters she is compairing it to her old 01 Firehawk I'm unsure of what suspension package it had. but also our SS has the Hotchkis rear LCA's with the relocation brkts. the LCA's are currently in the lower hole for maximum straight line traction. So i plan on moving them up to the top hole I think this should help. after that then maybe new shocks if she is not satisfied.

White
    2001 Z28

I'm not sure if all Firehawks had the SLP suspensions or not, but if they all didn't, most did and while I don't think the SLP Bilstein's are great, they are certainly better than the DeCarbon's, and frankly should have been the stock dampers on the car because they aren't messed up.

That said, the LCA's you have are very rigid and don't let the rear axle articulate freely and smoothly. And when you run the LCA's in a "downhill" position from the body to the axle it makes them move in an extending arc on the outside rear wheel, and an shortening arc on the inside as the rolls. That actually steers the axle toward toe-out on the loaded side. And then instant center is moved rearwards which is great for traction, but not so hot for stability.

I have no idea what the use of the car is, so it's hard for me to say "do this". But there are 3 not ideal things going on. The LCA's and brackets are an easy change and free. So start there. But if it's a damping issue she doesn't like (and it's likely to be), that's the shocks.

White
    2001 SS #3504

I'm not sure if all Firehawks had the SLP suspensions or not, but if they all didn't, most did and while I don't think the SLP Bilstein's are great, they are certainly better than the DeCarbon's, and frankly should have been the stock dampers on the car because they aren't messed up.

That said, the LCA's you have are very rigid and don't let the rear axle articulate freely and smoothly. And when you run the LCA's in a "downhill" position from the body to the axle it makes them move in an extending arc on the outside rear wheel, and an shortening arc on the inside as the rolls. That actually steers the axle toward toe-out on the loaded side. And then instant center is moved rearwards which is great for traction, but not so hot for stability.

I have no idea what the use of the car is, so it's hard for me to say "do this". But there are 3 not ideal things going on. The LCA's and brackets are an easy change and free. So start there. But if it's a damping issue she doesn't like (and it's likely to be), that's the shocks.
    Ok thanks sam I will try the LCA's adj. first. And this is a DD car. BTW

Thread Information