Is it worth it to get a car thats been wrecked?

I see on ebay sometimes cars that have been wrecked and fixed with low miles selling for cheap.. is it worth it to get one and save alot of money? i dont see how it wouldnt be if it was fixed.. thanks guys

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    I see on ebay sometimes cars that have been wrecked and fixed with low miles selling for cheap.. is it worth it to get one and save alot of money? i dont see how it wouldnt be if it was fixed.. thanks guys
    completely objectional based on type of wreck and extent of repair. give us some more details please....

i cant really give any more deatials.. like what are you lookign for? is it atleast safe to buy SOME cars that were fixed.. uhh i guess like if the frame was bent a tiny little bit but the shop straightened it out? im sorry i dont know too much about this thats why i was asking

also could the value of the car ever go back up if i rebuilt the title?

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Fixed is a relatively loose term, vehicles involved in crashes (totaled or not) may appear fixed but there are bound to be issues down the road, with electrical gremlins, corrosion, squeaks, rattles, etc. don't get me wrong; a repaired vehicle could be reliable depending what was damaged in the wreck and who did the repairs.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

obviously you wouldnt want to buy something that has been totalled and rebuilt. there is alot of grey area concerning rebuild titles, but i think they can eventually be changed to a clear title. f bodies arent the absolute best things to buy if the have been in a collision. running them hard already seperates body panels, and rebuilds ive seen were very noticable on the exterior. something to keep in mind to is alot of people dont know to much if its a dealership in question. i always tested the waters by asking "was their any a frame damage" if they dont say "sir, this is a unibody car" then they probably dont know or understand the actual wreckage and repair. fender benders are ok, make sure to get all the details before purchasing and have it checked by a credible source.

ok thank you guys

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I agree that you have to be careful, but I drove a 93 Firebird with a R-title and it was a great car. So yes it can be done, but take care

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If it was cosmetice damage, maybe buy it and fix it. If you are planning to rebuild it and sell it, its very hard to sell a car with a rebuilt title. If it had frame damage, I wouldn't touch it. My vert had frame damage after I wrecked it years ago and it was fixed by a good shop but it had issues and was never the same car. I wouldn't touch a car with frame damage or salvage/rebuilt titles and lots of people out there won't either. The value won't go up even if you rebuild it most likely either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Half of the car I owned were wrecked, fixed right they are as good as any car. The problem is when someone who doesnt know what they are doing tosses one together and doesnt do it right. They are harder to sell because of people who are affraid to buy them because of possible issues. Also dont forget tons of cars with good titles have been wrecked. I have seen cars repaired and still have a good title that were far worse then cars with r-titles.

Thread Information