Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Maybe a dumb question...

i'm new on the site, and i'm looking to buy a trans am.. just not really sure if there's any year better than another.. i did read the differences between the years but i don't know a whole LOT about cars, so it was some what confusing. I want a 98++ but not sure which year exactly.. if somebody could give me some info or opinions about which years are the best performance wise... also is gettin a WS6 really worth the extra money? i know it has some upgrades such as suspension, and a few other things right? i definetly want that WS6 hood, which costs around 800$ i believe.. is there anything you have to do to set it up so the RAM air does work? like i said it might be a dumb question but if anybody could help me out i would really appreciate it.. thanks!

Black
    98 Trans Am

rule of thumb, get the nicest, newest one you can afford.

01-02 are a hair faster because of LS6 intake with minor refinements over the 98-00.

An 02 is more collectible but considereably costs more than a 98, but they are basically the same car, money saved could be put towards mods....the choice is yours.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea that pretty much just sums it up the 01-02 has the LS6 intake. Trans Am vs. WS6 is gears and suspension along with a nicer hood. But they all pretty much preform the same way so what are you looking for performance or more for the collectible side?
    Welcome to the site

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

hmm well honestly i don't care about collectibility ( is that a word)?? anyway i'm lookin more for performance... so if i got a 01 or 02 it has the LS6 intake? what if i were to save the money buying an 01/02 and got a 98-00 and just bought an LS6 intake? is that even possible? like i said before i'm not very knowledgable yet, i'm still learning! also if it wasn't a WS6 i could just get the hood right? or is the gears/suspension really worth it? and if i went that route what else is necessary to make the WS6 hood functional? i mean the ram air. thanks for the feeback guys!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

you can get an LS6 intake for like $400 bucks so just get the intake and install it yourself. there are plenty of places to see how.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

so cost and performance wise that would be my best choice? a 98 T/A with an LS6 intake? and how would the RAM air on the hood work? i tried looking but couldn't find anything on what i would need to make it functional.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Ok just try to get a trans am as you as you can, (with ok milage i guess) as far as intake goes, you can just buy a lid for 50 dollars at most and its just as good. gears does make a difference, you can buy them for around 100 -150 dollars and depends on where you get it put on for labor. You can build it up slowly slowly and save some

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    so cost and performance wise that would be my best choice? a 98 T/A with an LS6 intake? and how would the RAM air on the hood work? i tried looking but couldn't find anything on what i would need to make it functional.
    Who gave you the impression that the ram air isn't functional?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Who gave you the impression that the ram air isn't functional?
    It really isn't.

Helps at very high speeds. In stock form, it is barely an effective cold air intake.

98-00 F-Body LS1's had a slightly larger cam than the 01-02's. Difference is quite minor.
    But the 01-02's had the LS6 intake.

If you are looking for a car, go with low mileage as the first determining factor.
    1999+ has a little more advanced computer, a different coil design, and different valve covers.
    Nothing wrong with a 1998, but there are a couple of little things that got changed after the first year of the LS1 in the F-Body. Parts are still readily available.

Oh...and there are never dumb questions if someone learns something.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    It really isn't.

Helps at very high speeds. In stock form, it is barely an effective cold air intake.

98-00 F-Body LS1's had a slightly larger cam than the 01-02's. Difference is quite minor.
    But the 01-02's had the LS6 intake.

If you are looking for a car, go with low mileage as the first determining factor.
    1999+ has a little more advanced computer, a different coil design, and different valve covers.
    Nothing wrong with a 1998, but there are a couple of little things that got changed after the first year of the LS1 in the F-Body. Parts are still readily available.

Oh...and there are never dumb questions if someone learns something.
    So why did i spend money on a ram air hood and air box then....for nothing....i'm gonna go sit in the corner and sulk!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

if you have a non ws6 and you put on a ws6 hood, don't you have to set it up some how so it works?

what exactly is this setup right here??

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0175a.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0176a.jpg

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Looks. And some extra air at speed.

And if the baffles are removed, it does very well as a cold air induction. Even better if you seal the hood and the airbox off from the rest of the engine bay.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Mr Lous is 100% correct. The stock WS6 ram air intake does little compared to the regular trans am air intake. What you are buying with a WS6 package is a better hood, upgraded tuned suspension, low restriction exhaust, power steering cooler, 17 inch wheels vs. 16 inchers, and a lot of head turning by almost everyone who sees it (pretty annoying after awhile).
    Thats all I can think of right off the top of my head. But on the other hand you can seal the hood to the inner airbox , creating a true ram air system (the gains are hardly noticeable). If I were you I would go with a WS6 if you can.

JR.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

if i could i would go with a WS6 but since i wouldn't keep the stock exhaust, or rims it would be like paying an extra few thousand for the upgraded suspension and another few minor things? so if i did just get a ws6 hood i would also have to get an airbox? and if i did turn it to a cold air induction like you said mr. luos...would it be worth it? and what are baffles ? sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what i'm getting into.. thanks again for the help everybody
    Last edited by M-Ten; 08-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The WS.6 hood has a couple baffles to assist from rain getting anywhere near the airbox.

You can drill out the rivets and break the glue to remove them so the air can come straight in the nostrils to the airbox.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

How much do you have to spend???

Mine's for sale... It's a 2000 with just over 60K on it. The car is completely stock with an A4, and is very very clean...

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok thanks for clarifying that.. what's an a4? and how come you're selling for only 2k?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    oh ok thanks for clarifying that.. what's an a4? and how come you're selling for only 2k?
    I think the 2000 is the year of the car.
    If he was selling it for $2K...I would buy it.

A4 = 4 speed automatic
    M6 = 6 speed manual

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh duh.. don't know how i misread that lol.. what do you think is better auto or manual? or is it just personal preference?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Personal preference.

Each car has its advantages.

Thread Information