Thread: trans am

arctic white
    1999 trans am

trans am

has anyone taken off the plastic strip that runs down the side of the door- the one right above the trans am emblem. any pics, how to's etc? i think it would make the door look way cleaner, but i dunno if other peoples doors will tear mine up.....

sethta
    I would leave them on. They're there for a reason

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Mine are long gone.
    Wouldn't have taken them off if the car was a daily driver.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    You're talking about door moldings. Leave them, they are there for a reason it's called door protection from dings.....
    i used to think that too....
    but they dont actually offer any protection as they are not the furthest thing sticking out on the door. The door bulges more at the top so if someone dings your door it will hit that part first.

Take them off, it looks really clean!

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Take'em off, ..., Many people have done it. Much cleaner.
    Search LS1Tech for photos, ton of'em over there.

Search "!molding".

Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk

Do what you want, you didn't buy your trans am because other people like it, you bought it because you liked it! So if you like them on there, keep 'em. If you think it would look better without, take 'em off.

As far as door protection goes, lol, thats a myth. Kyle is absolutely correct when stating that the top part of the door bulges out at a further point than down below. Just go look at the car. The molding on the corvette is derived from the same conception and that conception is not for "door protection". Just go look at a vette.

I took mine off cause I thought it would look better without them on there. As soon as I got all 6 peices off (3 to a side), I liked the cleaner look, but I definately liked them better on there. It's your car man, do what you want.

~JonnyC!

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99
    Ok Be-aaaatches, when i said door protection i meant camaro body style not TA's, my bad.
    its cool man... it would make a heck of a lot of sense if it WAS there for door protection, but i guess it wouldnt be a GM product if that were the case lol

Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk

of course not, most of what GM makes these days, doesn't make sense. I just came out of a 5 hour visit from the ER after leaving work today because of a junk GM product. My buddy owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, and accidentally pulled out of a parking space going in the whereabouts of 3-4mph. He was maybe 3-3 and a half feet from a normal street curb, and when shifting into drive, never even had a chance to push down on the accelerator pedal. But, we slowly and gently rolled and the vehicle eased into the curb and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Air Bags deployed, his head took 18 stitches, my right eye took a total of 11, his driver's side front door window has to be replaced. As far as the car?? Not a scratch, dent, ding, nothing even on the undercarriage to show any scraping, nothing. I mean he bought the car from his grandmother with 7,200 miles on it this past spring and she bought it brand new. So we've got cuts, scrapes, and a few bruises all because of an air bag deployment of running onto a curb at barely idle from a PROUD General Motors vehicle. I swear, can't they make a 4 door sedan econobox worth a shit these days?!

~JonnyC!

P.S. The car never shut off, it still runs

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by SkreaminHawk View Post
    of course not, most of what GM makes these days, doesn't make sense. I just came out of a 5 hour visit from the ER after leaving work today because of a junk GM product. My buddy owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, and accidentally pulled out of a parking space going in the whereabouts of 3-4mph. He was maybe 3-3 and a half feet from a normal street curb, and when shifting into drive, never even had a chance to push down on the accelerator pedal. But, we slowly and gently rolled and the vehicle eased into the curb and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Air Bags deployed, his head took 18 stitches, my right eye took a total of 11, his driver's side front door window has to be replaced. As far as the car?? Not a scratch, dent, ding, nothing even on the undercarriage to show any scraping, nothing. I mean he bought the car from his grandmother with 7,200 miles on it this past spring and she bought it brand new. So we've got cuts, scrapes, and a few bruises all because of an air bag deployment of running onto a curb at barely idle from a PROUD General Motors vehicle. I swear, can't they make a 4 door sedan econobox worth a shit these days?!

~JonnyC!

P.S. The car never shut off, it still runs
    Holy shit... thats crazy, they should provide him with a brand new vehicle, or at least buy it off him for market value. He could probably sue them for that if he wanted to

arctic white
    1999 trans am

cool thanks for the heads up. ima take them off. my car stays parked at the base all week long in the back of the parking lot by itself, then i come back to my house on the weekends where i just drive it to go to the gym or out at night, so i figure itll be allright. thx again yall

Thread Information