Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram air mod

WS6RedDragon

Ram air mod

I have a WS6 and was wondering if it was worth taking out the hood baffles and if so what kind of kit does anybody recommend.

Black
    99 SS

the baffles just make it quiet man, notthing more nothin less.

Beast
    Are you talking about the hood baffles (behind the ram air nostrils), or the air silencers behind the stock airbox (the two plastic jugs that hang behind the stock airbox) If you are talking about the air silencers, get rid of them, no problem. SLP, G2, and several other places sell replacement lids which allow you to get rid of them.

However if you are talking about the hood baffles, there are a few posts on this, try the search button to dig them up. However the short story is that there are differing opinions on whether or not it does anything, and whether it is worth it or not. Some people rave about better throttle response, others didn't notice anything, or experienced problems. If your car doesn't get driven in the rain though, then you should be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because my car is a daily driver, and 70 mph + rain - hood baffles = potential problems. There is a kit made to do it, but as I recall, it comes with inserts to use in the rain to plug up the nostrils to keep this from happening? You can remove the baffles yourself by cutting them out though.

There is another mod made by Fast Toy's, in which they cut out the plastic beneath the air filter, and insert a sheetmetal duct down there, which lets some of the high pressure air that is scooped from under the car and normally goes into the radiator into you filter. I have heard bad things about it, like people hitting big water puddles and hydro-locking their engine. On the other hand there are dozens of people claiming good throttle response after the mod... I have the free version of this done on my car (cutting away the plastic but not having the fancy duct work), and I'm not happy with it anymore. If I could un-do it I would.

Mark
    Last edited by Beast; 09-12-2005 at 07:00 PM.

WS6RedDragon
    So basically I shouldnt do anything and yes I was reffering to the the hood baffles. I have a SLP air lid so I wasnt reffering to the other baffles. I was thinking about buying this before I made this thread http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/bg-ram-air.html. I was just trying to gain every tenth I could. I guess I will use the $240 towards a cam or something. Thanks

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

BGRA is a great mod to do. It seals the box to the hood to pressurize the air coming in. I had something similar and it works well

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

oh yea and also, you can't have the BGRA and a fast toys kit because it creates a lot of turbulence. It's one or the other and all your preference

BBATCAR
    Taking out the baffles and sealing it to the air box or BGRA is a great mod. For cost savings I removed the baffles and seal the air box entrance to the nostrils with a foam strip myself. I noticed some difference in performance at higher speeds and I get 20-40 more miles per tank full of gas. An Air Lid is a must with this mod IMO.

I've driven in hard rain and barely get any drops of water near the air box. I bought the "rain shields" separately for $20 or so as insurance. I also have a K&N filter, so far no problems in 3 years and it is my daily driver.

WS6RedDragon
    where did you get the rain sheilds from?

BBATCAR
    Got mine from a member 99ramair, email Ken (he's in Canada, but fast service)

fbody99@shaw.ca

He's a cool guy and has a lot of stuff for a reasonable price. Hope that helps...

PUREVIL

Black
    2000 Trans Am

i go w/ the BG

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Can this be done with a raptor hood?

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have the BGRA mod too. Well worth i think. Even at idle, you can actually feel the engine pulling in the air with the hood closed. Never had a problem in heavy rain. The foam doesn't last all that long if you open/close your hood a lot. It depends on just how close your hood is to the airbox lid.

BGRA makes your WS6 true.

Black
    2000 T/A w/WS-6

Ram Air mod-Rain baffles

Have tried to reach Ken about the rain baffles for the ram air hoods, but fbody99@shaw.ca is no longer working. Any other possible contact info?
    Thanks

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

what exactly was the bgra mod?? I have the unique ability to possibly fabricate mods for these cars foremost because it's a labor of love, and 2nd because we have a foundry on our property which was ran for years as a true metal working foundry. Anyone have any suggestions of mods/products that could bring a performance gain for the Ls1 cars coupled with a market willing to spend the $ ??

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

how come no body can post a photo of this top secret mod???

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

pictures of bgra

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

WS6 store sells a pretty good seal system called the JAAM RAM. I have the lower plenum only since I can't take advantage of the upper seal.

Take a look at that if that helps:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2146

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    what exactly was the bgra mod?? I have the unique ability to possibly fabricate mods for these cars foremost because it's a labor of love, and 2nd because we have a foundry on our property which was ran for years as a true metal working foundry. Anyone have any suggestions of mods/products that could bring a performance gain for the Ls1 cars coupled with a market willing to spend the $ ??
    Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    It's not sold anymore...if you notice this thread was started back in 2005.

Here is a link to the item:
    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/bg-ram-air.html

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

"it's not sold anymore" I knew that, hence why i asked "what WAS the bgra mod? not what is? My point is i can make it if i can see what it looked like, does anyone have the ability to take a photo of it on car or off?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

OK, I have the BGRA as well but since I'm at work (in Iowa in the snow - not driving my car) I can't get a picture at this time. The link to Brian's original page is still active: http://www.geocities.com/brian98rama..._Air_Pics.html

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thread Information