Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

rear-end backlash

my 02 WS6 6-speed seems to have a lot of play in the rear-end i believe there's too much backlash in it, i know trans am's are notorious for having "loose" rear-ends however i don't think it should be this bad. I mean i feel it clunking practically every shift especially in traffic when putting the clutch in and out in first gear. I know you can't see my car so u don't know exactly how bad it is however, do u have any suggestions on what i could try to see if there's too much play in the rear-end??

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

how many miles does it have on it?& do you drive it hard?sounds like you may have a bad u joint or trans mont.if your backlash was too loose,your diff. would be whining,if it's as bad as you say,it probably would be broken.doesn't sound like a problem with backlash,i mean we're only talking like.08-.12,(that's thousandths).

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am ws6

Mine does that a little too when i first heard it i was like what the f*** it does it only when im in 1st going about 25 to 30 mph when i let of the gas and then get back on it. it also does it sometimes shifting into 2nd does anyone know how much damage this can cause if any?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

my car has 42000 miles on it and i've been told that because i have the t-56 tranny that i actually have a tight driveline and thats why i can feel my rear-end clunking, however i do beleive that its more that it should be....

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

well,it has very low miles on it,& no doubt that the driveline is tight.but there still shouldn't be any clunking going on.I've had many straight drives & automatics,and unless somethings wrong,there shouldn't be any clunking.especially if it's good & tight,like it should be.personally, I'm tending to think tranny mount,with a manual its not very tough to rip that sucker loose.I mean dump the clutch a couple of times & cut up a little bit & it's pretty much toast.very easy to check,when you're under there,put a jack under your tranny pan & lift it a little,if it's broke it'll lift,if not you'll know ,dont put too much pressure on it.after that,while your under there,check those u joints,might as well check bushings too.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yeah it turns out my whole rear-end is shot, just what i figured too well hopefully the dealer where i bought the car will take care of it seeing it is under warranty, however if not does anyone know where i can find a whole 100% complete rear-end for a 2002 trans am ws6 used is perfectly fine

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

got ya covered,cleveland pick a part,866/236-5031.$350 + s&h.around30,000miles.plenty of stock.or go to their ebay store (cleveland pick-a-part)best deal around w/guarantee.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

thanks a lot i appreciate it!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

If I shift quickly as low RPM's I get a clunk too, I think its the trans support mount (side one) though. The shiter will also bounce up and down like crazy if I short shift gears and let the clutch out fast, its ridiculous

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

Yep,sounds Like The Trans Mount.if Your Shifter Is Jumping Around,you Definitely Need To Check It Out Before You Cause Damage To Other Components.besides,it's Not Expensive,and You Can Do It In A Very Short Amount Of Time.

Thread Information